theirs head on my fermented wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob_franky19

Reaction score
hello, I just pulled the lid off my fermenting bucket after 6 days of fermenting a pale ale and theirs a thick layer of head on the beer. I took a hydrometer reading at 1.013 my target FG is 1.012-1.014. This is my 3rd batch that I have done and have not had this happen to me before. Is this normal or did I screw something up. oh and this is my first time using liquid yeast. I used a Wyeast smack pack.

That is krausen, not beer head, and completely normal. I would wait to transfer the beer until that krausen has fallen to the bottom (clearer beer), although if you are at your final gravity (multiple stable hydrometer readings), you can transfer all you want.

I typically leave my beer in the primary for three weeks, sometimes four. Allows time for the yeast to clean up and sediment to drop out. Beer clears nicely with sufficient time in the primary. I don't secondary unless I have other additions to add.

Back