The Yeast Bay Lochristi Brett Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassaholic

Reaction score
I am brewing a saison today with yeast I harvested from Allagash Saison bottles. I'm going to let it run it's course, transfer to a secondary, then add the Lochristi blend from The Yeast Bay. I was wondering if I should make a starter first or just pitch directly. It is a blend of 2 Brett strains and I'm not sure if a starter would mess with the ratio of the two strains. On the website's description it says this yeast is often slow to start up and I would like to bottle this in 3-4 months if it finishes that quickly. Obviously if it needs more time I'll let it ride, but would a starter help speed things up?

I was thinking maybe set some wort aside from my brew today and pitch the Brett on a stir plate for a week or so and pitch the whole thing into the secondary. This is my first venture with Brett so any help would be greatly appreciated. :mug:

Since you don't need a quantity of Brett high enough for a primary fermentation, you should be fine pitching directly. In fact, that might even aid the Brett in creating nice flavour compounds. Definitely give them a month or two to do their thing.

Back