The wort wizard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basszombie666

Reaction score
Has any one used this? Better yet does any one have a video of them using it? Just found out about it and in further research I have found post of people saying it is a piece that can be found in a water bed drain kit. So if any one has any diy conversion stories about that I would enjoy that as well.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405662601.418960.jpg

^v^

I use it and it works great. I don't have a video of it but it was really easy to hook up with the counterflow chiller I had.

I accomplished much the same using Bobby's silicone tubing and a stainless barbed tee I bought off of ebay.

The hose is used to drain the BK into the fermenter. I cut six inches off the end of the hose, insert the stainless tee, and put the six inches of hose I just cut off onto the end of the tee, the end of which gets put into the fermenter.

The tee acts as a Venturi, just as the wort wizard does, sucking in air and aerating your wort as it travels through. Works like a charm.

what exactly is this? All I can tell about the picture is its a barbed fitting with a threaded end. Is there a valve as well? What makes this "wizard"-y?

I use 10ft of tubing and a $2 tee from Lowes.....I think it for underground water sprinklers, but when the wort passes it, it will cool, so I have no worries.

Do you think it would work with a plate chiller?

I don't have a plate chiller, so I cannot say, but I cannot think of a reason why it wouldn't still work. You may be throttling back the flow for temperature reasons, and the plate chiller might add some restriction to flow itself, but the Venturi effect will still occur.

That was just and example, but it seems to me that if you use this idea, then the same air hits the wort through the Venturi as would be all shaken and sloshed around if you used that method...

Back