The wierdest thing I've ever seen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy0209

Reaction score
So, I brewed an IPA from Brewing Classic Styles in May of 2012 and bottled it 28 days later. When I tried one five weeks after bottling, I was positive that it was infected. It was overcarbed almost to the point of gushing and just after that, I found that he 3 piece spigot in my bottling bucket wasn't the cleanest. It tasted horrible and was getting worse by the week. I dumped most bottles, but, unintentionally, a few made it to my refrigerator. Fast forward to tonight (1 1/2 years later) I decided to try one, you know, just for fun. It's fantastic!!!! Here's the weird part: it's almost like a stout. I'd say the color is 20+ SRM, the flavor has a bit of a roast character, it's nice and balanced, and it's not overcarbed at all. The bubbles are small and the head is tight. What would cause the darkening and where did all that carbonation go? I would appreciate it if someone with some experience could weigh in on this. It's kind of perplexing and making me wish that I would have held on to the rest of it. Here's the recipe:

12 lb Domestic Two Row
.75 lb Crystal 20
.25 lb Crystal 40
.75 lb Munich
1 oz Horizon (60 min)
1 oz Centennial (10 min)
1 oz Simcoe (5 min)
1 oz Amarillo (flameout / 10 min steep)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet
2 liter starter of harvested WLP001 (Cali Ale)

You're sure you didn't just stick some IPA labels on a different beer? It sounds a little unlikely.

Latest posts

Back