The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Negan is already aware of Rick's plans. He is cocky enough though to believe that no matter what Rick and the rest throw at him that he will be triumphant.

I would also like to see Negan get torn apart by the tiger but I agree, it's probably going to be Rick in full psycho mode tearing him apart.

Let's not forget, Morgan built a cell for holding... someone.

SPOILER ALERT
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
(highlight to read)

The show doesn't always follow the comics, but for those that have read the comics, we know who ends up in a cell.

;)

One hell of an episode. Well worth the wait I think and, and the build up.

A Proper Funeral
We all knew that Sonequa Martin-Green, aka Sasha, was going to leave the show, but they gave the character and the actress a proper send off. The flashbacks/hallucinations showing her relationships with Abraham and Maggie were touching reminders of exactly how much we miss Abraham and wish that we could see Maggie at peace. Negan's surprise of her being a zombie was a fun little way to remind us that zombies are actually dangerous sometimes.

Dirty Tricks
I have to admit, I was surprised by the trash people's betrayal, but if only because I hadn't thought much of them. If anyone "won" from this whole thing, it's them, they're now heavily armed and got away mostly scott-free, plus they don't seem to have taken many casualties. I suspect we'll see Rick and company deal with them before next season ends, one way or another.

IT'S A TIGER!!!
TIGER IN A WAR YA'LL! ****ING SHIVA! Okay, so besides the awesome tiger murdering a couple of Saviors, The Kingdom and Hilltop forces showed up at exactly the right time to disrupt the trash people double-cross. With those forces in place, we now see that the war has arrived, the Saviors versus the survivors Republic; get hyped ya'll!

I was underwhelmed. Everybody's got a friggin gun, even machine guns, but they STILL can't manage to knock off Negan.

A tiger is trained to kill some people on command, but not others. Yeah.

And Eugene is just totally unbelievable.

The whole dang show has become just totally unbelievable. Given temporary suspense of disbelief and a zombie scenario, this show used to be more realistic, and I actually grew to care and love many of the characters. Now, today, I couldn't really care less anymore.

I am not very excited for next season.

I was underwhelmed. Everybody's got a friggin gun, even machine guns, but they STILL can't manage to knock off Negan.

A tiger is trained to kill some people on command, but not others. Yeah.

And Eugene is just totally unbelievable.

The whole dang show has become just totally unbelievable. Given temporary suspense of disbelief and a zombie scenario, this show used to be more realistic, and I actually grew to care and love many of the characters. Now, today, I couldn't really care less anymore.

I am not very excited for next season.

Everybody's got a friggin gun but NO ONE carries extra mags. Is there a magazine shortage in the zombie apocalypse?

Damn dirty trash people...

On another note, how is it that Machone took such a beating? She's one tough s.o.b. but that little blonde trash girl put the smack down on her.

A few stupid oddities:

a. How does no one think to flank to the front gate? It's the only ****ing path for retreat yet it is left wide open for EVERYONE to retreat.

b. As previously mentioned, the tiger knows who to attach and who not to? Seriously? Seriously?

c. Rick had nothing to lose if he had push Miss Up Up Over Over the wall. Not sure why he punked out, got shot, and booted off the platform himself, stupid.

d. Negan knows Eugene gave her a way out (more-or-less sans proof), and Eugene knows Negan knows. It's going to be pretty ridiculous if Negan continues to trust Eugene within the show.

e. Too much of a Sasha centric episode, in my opinion. Then again, I wasn't a big fan of her anyways.

f. With all that said, I did like the plot twist with the Up Ups. That was about the only surprising thing about the episode. What I did not quite understand is what they are getting 10 of? It can't be 10 guns because that's obviously not as good of an offer as Rick's...so 10 what?

What I did not quite understand is what they are getting 10 of? It can't be 10 guns because that's obviously not as good of an offer as Rick's...so 10 what?

Maybe people from the Saviors group (possibly to mate with to keep up their weird backwards population)? I didn't quite get it either. She first said 12 but then Negan talked her down to 10.

@Bowtiebrewery and @m_c_zero
Perhaps cannibals, but the show already went down that road. I don't really see them doing that again...I was thinking maybe vehicles? I don't see them going down the road of sex trading either...

@Bowtiebrewery and @m_c_zero
Perhaps cannibals, but the show already went down that road. I don't really see them doing that again...I was thinking maybe vehicles? I don't see them going down the road of sex trading either...

I can't see vehicles. Because Neagan specifically said "people are a resource" If its the sex trade thing, its possible, especially since the leader wanted to get jiggy with Rick for his man-milk.

I got the impression the trash people wanted slaves/workers, but maybe I'm wrong.

I just thought it was funny that the trash people would pull up in, trash trucks.

But I find it strange that they could all be so 'backwards'. They've only been living in this universe for 2-3 years. How could their thinking and speech change that much? Given how they are, it would seem like they've been living this lifestyle for many years.

I also don't get how they have so many bullets. I know this has been discussed plenty of times but this episode packed a lot of firepower from many different rapid shooting guns. How do they find that much ammo for that many weapons, of likely different caliber? I'm not a gun expert but I imagine most of the guns in that episode used different types of bullets/clips/magazines/etc.

They should have run out of ammo years ago. At that point all their guns just become clubbing weapons.

I don't know about that.

There are 350 million guns in the US...many people have hundreds if not thousands of rounds for their weapons on hand, I know people with 10K rounds. I doubt the number of people with firearms and no ammo for their weapon is large at all. All store ammo inventory would be freely available too. Prisons and other places may have stockpiles. So for simplicity sake lets say there are 500 rounds available for each firearm...scattered throughout the US.

That makes 150,000,000,000(150 billion) rounds available...and I think that is a conservative estimate. OK how much of the US population (~320 Million) is left to use the ammo? 10%? 25% ?

At 10% there are 32Million people sharing 150billion rounds of ammo. Rule out young kids and make the math easier lets say 30 million teenagers and adults are sharing 150 billion rounds of ammo. Thats 5,000 rounds of ammo each.

How many shots are they firing on average per day? 5 max? Many survivors not directly dealing with zombies daily probably go weeks without firing a single shot. 5 shots average per adult survivor per day would last them 2.75 years. Also, the human population continues to decrease, meaning ammo consumption is always decreasing.

Also, some survivors could be reloading, reloading equipment can be found at many of the same places firearms and ammo is found.

It is the South and just an FYI as I'm an avid shooter, many of the main powder and ammunition factories in the US are located in the South. Kentucky, Georgia, also there is a major munitions distribution center in Georgia for the US Armed forces.

They easily have access to the ammunition. It would be much harder if you lived in California or any other area where they are very anti-gun

It is the South and just an FYI as I'm an avid shooter, many of the main powder and ammunition factories in the US are located in the South. Kentucky, Georgia, also there is a major munitions distribution center in Georgia for the US Armed forces.

They easily have access to the ammunition. It would be much harder if you lived in California or any other area where they are very anti-gun

Yeah, my parents have a small arsenal (West Virginia), but still I feel that finding and recovering guns and ammo at this stage is quite impractical. You also have to consider the transportation aspect along with the unknown timeline.

Be that as it may, they have not left the main ATL area so those numbers are more-or-less irrelevant unless you specifically can account for that area only.

they are in Virginia

they were well on their way to DC when Eugene admitted he was a fraud and there was no one in DC to help them, but they continued on & found Alexandria

which is a suburb of DC. there is the incorporated city, plus part of the adjacent county (Fairfax) called Alexandria. neither of which look like what's portrayed on the show, but do resemble rural parts of the DC metro and beyond*

plus they busted out a map of the Commonwealth an episode or two ago

*which brings up something that has bugged me the entire run of this program. they show city, small town, suburban dwellings, rural areas and really nothing else

none of the suburban commercial zones - strip malls, gas stations, fast food joints & such - which connects and blends with all the areas they do show

the Fairfax County part of Alexandria runs about 10 miles along US Route 1 from the Beltway to Ft Belvoir/Mount Vernon and is nothing but those commercial establishments

they are in Virginia

they were well on their way to DC when Eugene admitted he was a fraud and there was no one in DC to help them, but they continued on & found Alexandria

which is a suburb of DC. there is the incorporated city, plus part of the adjacent county (Fairfax) called Alexandria. neither of which look like what's portrayed on the show, but do resemble rural parts of the DC metro and beyond

plus they busted out a map of the Commonwealth an episode or two ago

Yeah I imagine they are a good 2 hours from DC +/- 30 minutes to have as much green space as they do. I cannot imagine they will get near DC...with a population exceeding 6 million in the DC metro area it would be teaming with walkers.

Yeah I imagine they are a good 2 hours from DC +/- 30 minutes to have as much green space as they do. I cannot imagine they will get near DC...with a population exceeding 6 million in the DC metro area it would be teaming with walkers.

wouldn't take 2 hours. head out King St/VA Rt 7 and you're in Horse Country in about an hour, disregarding traffic

I'll wave at you as you drive by

Be that as it may, they have not left the main ATL area so those numbers are more-or-less irrelevant unless you specifically can account for that area only.

Fair enough, Its estimated that about 32% of people in the State of GA own guns. There are 5,710,795 in the Atlanta metro. That comes to 1,827,454 gun owners. Many of them likely own multiple firearms. According to Gallup the average number of guns a gun owner owns(Nationally) is 8. https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-a...g/files/2015/10/gun_ownership_rates.png&w=480 That comes to 14,619,632 guns in the Atlanta Metro.

(using some of the same calculations from the US post above)

...For simplicity sake lets say there are 500 rounds available for each firearm...scattered throughout the Atlanta Metro.

That makes 73,09,816,000 (over 73 billion) rounds available...and I think that is a conservative estimate. OK how much of the Atlanta Metro population (~5,710,795) are still alive to use the ammo? 10%? 25% ?

***At 10% there are 571,080 people sharing over 73 billion rounds of ammo. Rule out young kids and lets say 500,000 teenagers and adults are sharing 73 billion rounds of ammo. That comes to 146,000 rounds of ammo each.

---At 25% there are 1,427,698 people sharing over 73 billion rounds of ammo. Rule out young kids and lets say 1,000,000 teenagers and adults are sharing 73 billion rounds of ammo. That comes to 73,000 rounds of ammo each.

****(with 10% of the population still alive) OK how many shots are they firing on average per day? 5-10 max? Many survivors not directly dealing with zombies daily probably go weeks without firing a single shot. 10 shots average per adult survivor per day would last them 40 years. Also, the human population continues to decrease, meaning ammo consumption is always decreasing.

---(with 25% of the population still alive) How many shots are they firing on average per day? 5-10 max? Many survivors not directly dealing with zombies daily probably go weeks without firing a single shot. 10 shots average per adult survivor per day would last them 20 years. Also, the human population continues to decrease, meaning ammo consumption is always decreasing.

Additionally, some survivors could be reloading, reloading equipment can be found at many of the same places firearms and ammo is found.

No matter how I look at the statistics I just can't see ammo being a rare commodity in just a few years post apocalypse.

I just wonder where the get the magic gasoline that never goes bad.

Hell, I can't keep my lawn mower running from one year to the next, but every POS junk car they find fires right up.

I know it's a zombie show. It doesn't bother me, but if we're talking practicalities...

No matter how I look at the statistics I just can't see ammo being a rare commodity in just a few years post apocalypse.

Perhaps getting to the ammo is significantly more difficult? I dunno, I cannot fathom that many people (maybe 1 out of a hundred thousand) is going to be sitting on a cache of weapons and ammo that large.

Morgan was ... almost ... but still far from your figures. He also went a bit cray cray!

Not to be that guy (albeit I brought this up in the first place), I don't argue with your stats. I'm sure there's an abundance of ammunition​ 'out there'. But that's the thing, it's out there. It's likely distributed more in the South but unless you can physically get your hands on every bullet, those numbers are meaningless.

This group is located in a relative small area, even if they could physically scavenge every single house/building, they won't be able to find nearly that many bullets. Even if they could, they would need to continue searching farther and farther out. The logistics can't sustain it.

And I go back to my original point, I imagine these guns use different bullets. Even if you hit the bullet jackpot, how likely will they be compatible with all of the weapons portrayed in the show?

And I go back to my original point, I imagine these guns use different bullets. Even if you hit the bullet jackpot, how likely will they be compatible with all of the weapons portrayed in the show?

Fairly likely.

While it is true that guns are not compatable with other calibers, there are a few calibers that are by far the most common and would thus be the most readily available. 7.62, 5.56, .22, .40, 9mm, .45s probably make up the lions share of guns on the market and proportionally the same amount of ammo. There would be some useless calibers due to the scarcity of the ammo, but I'd venture to say 3/4 o maybe even 2/3 of the guns out there shoot 1 of those 6 rounds.

I'd even argue that 7.62 and 5.56 availability might be proportionally higher than other calibers since those are the military calibers as well as the calibers many people stockpile(by the tens of thousands).

Not to be that guy (albeit I brought this up in the first place), I don't argue with your stats. I'm sure there's an abundance of ammunition​ 'out there'. But that's the thing, it's out there. It's likely distributed more in the South but unless you can physically get your hands on every bullet, those numbers are meaningless.

This group is located in a relative small area, even if they could physically scavenge every single house/building, they won't be able to find nearly that many bullets. Even if they could, they would need to continue searching farther and farther out. The logistics can't sustain it.

The rounds used (Not bullets) are typical and commonplace in most markets.
Typical handgun calibers I've seen on the show:

9MM Parabellum
45 ACP
.22 perfect for walkers in my opinion... lol

The ones I'm seeing that would be more scarce:
44 Mag
.357 Mag
50AE (Desert Eagle)

Rifle:
.22LC
.223 (556 NATO round) A lot of the rifles use this caliber Mostly AR-15's M-16
7.62 (a lot of AK's and variants used in this show mostly because they are super cheap to buy
308 although common not going to be found in large supplies
Hard to come by rounds:
50BMC
.338 Lapua
pretty much any "swift" cartridge
.44 LC

Shotguns:
Pretty much everything in the show looks like a 12 ga. which is plentiful in several variants and shot sizes.

Fairly likely.

While it is true that guns are not compatable with other calibers, there are a few calibers that are by far the most common and would thus be the most readily available. 7.62, 5.56, .22, .40, 9mm, .45s probably make up the lions share of guns on the market and proportionally the same amount of ammo. There would be some useless calibers due to the scarcity of the ammo, but I'd venture to say 3/4 o maybe even 2/3 of the guns out there shoot 1 of those 6 rounds.

I'd even argue that 7.62 and 5.56 availability might be proportionally higher than other calibers since those are the military calibers as well as the calibers many people stockpile(by the tens of thousands).

Damn you beat me to it.

The bigger question IMO is how does Darryl keep up with his crossbow bolts. I can't keep track of 5 for a whole deer season. I don't think I have seen another crossbow during the entire series, so I wouldn't think x-bow bolts would be easy to come by.

The bigger question IMO is how does Darryl keep up with his crossbow bolts. I can't keep track of 5 for a whole deer season. I don't think I have seen another crossbow during the entire series, so I wouldn't think x-bow bolts would be easy to come by.

Certainly not as popular and standard arrows.

If we see that one person could make one piece of ammo, we have to believe that the show is telling us that ammo can be made. Negan seemed very interested in Eugene's ability to do it, and we haven't seen him do it since, and we can believe that Negan was also interested in other things Eugene may be able to do, but there it is; ammo can be made in TWD universe.

Rick's main gun is a Colt Python .357. It can take .357 and .38 ammo. Those are two popular cartridges.

9mm, .380, and .45 ACP are also common place. 5.56 and the 7.62 rounds are also popular. A lot of the scary black rifles out there use that ammo. The 12 gauge is the ubiquitous shotgun.

I could raid my neighborhood in a ZA, and be fairly well stocked in common calibers. Ammo also has a long shelf life. I've shot WWII ammo in this century.

It is a bit of a stretch when they have these grandiose gun battles, and still seem to have as much ammo as when they started, but at the same time, we have seen guns run out and bullets be in short supply, briefly. The show has shown us it happens. It is fiction, though. We shouldn't expect documentary realism.

Back