The "Waiting for the Next Giveaway" Speakeasy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually enjoy malt-forward lagers. Got a Bock layering for Lent. Plan to brew an Octoberfest around April.

Haha, wish i would have known octoberfest was malt forward before making ten gallons of it to! Idk, maybe some day i will give them a try again.

I think that the Winter in Belgium is going to appear on my schedule next year. I'm going to try a dubbel soon, based on how that works, we'll see. I'd like to brew the Spenser Abbey beer once also.

Learned my first lesson with the new kettle! Left the drain valve open without a container underneath the drain hose. Caught with only about a cup lost! Always know the flow path!

1/2 oz bittering, 1oz flavor and two separate 1/2 oz aroma additions. This is a 90-min boil and the Love2Brew instructions say to us a "normal" 60-min hop schedule.

I'm also going to use the Tilt to track fermentation. This will be a first for me. I usually "set it and forget it" for fermentation. Just go as long as I know my yeast takes plus a buffer and then check final gravity. Seeing the change in action will be neat.

I'm having a Scotch to celebrate the end of the brew. It took longer than I thought it would. But, in the end I'll have a good Pilsner for the spring/summer, so it's worth it!

Just saw that AB Inbev's ZX Ventures has made an investment into Picobrew. Not sure how much of an investment, but there they go again sticking their hands into the home brewing market. :(

I wonder if that precipitated the recent discount codes. It would seem that, for the Pico at least, it's like the Amazon Echo or the iPhone/iPad -- primarily tools to sell stuff (Amazon Music/Audible Books and iTunes Music/Apps, etc.).

So, it would really be bad if this investment results in PicoPaks being preferentially priced/marked for AB-InBev products/partners. One of the benefits of Pico is the diversity of beers to brew!

Only time will tell if that happens. On another note, I saw on Pico's website that they now offer a FreeStyle PicoPak that is in Beta.

I looked at the Freestyle. Right now, it seems like it will be good in the future, but it is really limited. There are only 4-styles and a limited selection of hops and grains. It's not an issue for me as there are plenty of other beers to brew!

I have some cascade hop plants in the backyard. Honestly I don't think it's worth the time to grow them. Pruning, watering, harvesting and drying them and not knowing the AA%. This will be my 4th year and I'm considering ripping them out. It's easier to just buy a pound of pellets.

Made a orange cascade IPA with my homegrown hops. I used 8oz dried hops and while the beer was fine it was more of a pale ale than an IPA

I got a free injector of hop juice with a yakima order...not sure what it is or anything but it's I think 2 oz

Thought about the hop hash, is that just a variety of hash the package together?

Thought about the hop hash, is that just a variety of hash the package together?

Hop hash is a concentration of lupulin glands taken off the pellet machines; it contains a lot more of the good stuff, without all the vegetal mass.

From what I heard and how it smells/tasts, the Yakima Valley hop hash Is Centennial.

Interesting! I did a Pale Ale SMaSH with some homegrown Cascade I got from a neighbor. Didn't know AA with certainty, so just guessed. It came out pretty good. Wife and Father even liked it!

Are the ibu injectors hop oil or what? I called it juice but I think it might be oils.

oh yea and instead of oz its ml, I think I got about 2.5 or so

The Hop Hash does not have as strong of an aroma as I thought it would, but still delicious.

Some have reported if you make a tincture w/ ethanol (or moonshine) the aroma is released.

Back