The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother, who I always looked up to, and thought liked beer, claims that Mexican beer is the best beer in the world. He is talking about Corona. Just last week end he was drinking Heineken and now claims thats the best beer. When I tried to explain to him that the skunky flavor he is tasting is because it is skunked and that I have heard it doesnt have the flavor in its home country he says "I know, good stuff!" He lives in Florida so he has yet to taste any of my brews since he wont come to Wyoming.

I took 2 growlers of my brews to Oklahoma with me last summer, a Black Ale and a Toucan Stout. Dad took 1 sip of my Black and gagged. I was so disappointed in him. But he drinks Natty Light every day. My nephew on the other hand, he is 32 so dont worry, loved both of them but really loved the Black Ale!

Not really a comment on my beer but....I used to brew with a couple buddies. One of them literally did nothing but sit around and drink. One day he said, "why does it take so long? I remember it only used to take an hour". I said "you mean back when we started brewing? Those were kits, we do all grain batches now". He said..."oh....whats the difference?". I brew by myself now.

kilted_brews said:
+1 One of my friends tasted a home brew of mine, pulled a face, and asked if I could "make one like bud light?" ...insert the sound of crickets chirping here!

I would answer that question "no, but why would I want to?"
I ran into the same situation, needless to say, that friend is no longer offered beer at my house. And, not that anyone would want to, but from what I understand, it's very hard to reproduce those types of beer (bud/coors/miller light).

kilted_brews said:
+1 One of my friends tasted a home brew of mine, pulled a face, and asked if I could "make one like bud light?" ...insert the sound of crickets chirping here!

If you go to his house for a burger cookout, ask him if he can make your burger just like McDonald's.

In the grocery store yesterday I saw this beautiful little scene.

Man: *grabs case of bud platinum*
Woman: "Don't get that; I can't drink it!"
Me: (thinking "Good for her, she wants some good beer")
Woman: "It's too strong for me."

I checked. It's 6%.

Not really a stupid comment. Look through the BJCP style guidelines, many styles max out for alcohol at under 6%. We tend to develop terrific alcohol tolerance drinking homebrew and 8% IPAs, but for most people who are drinking 4.0% light lagers, 6% is a considerable jump.

My brother last night trying my new stout: "This is disgusting"
Me: "Ok. Let me get you a Guinness" (I don't have guinness in the house. I actually poured him another of the exact same home brew stout)
Brother: "See? now this is a good beer"

Jackie-chan-meme.png

Sir Humpsalot said:
This time reverse it. Give him a commercial amber and tell him it's yours. Then give him yours and tell him it's the commercial one.

That's not reversing it. Actually reversing it would be even better:

Give him a commercial beer, and say it's yours, and then give him the same commercial beer and tell him it's the commercial one. This can help you figure out if he's more biased in the expectation that your beer sucks, or that the commercial stuff is better.

That's not reversing it. Actually reversing it would be even better:

Give him a commercial beer, and say it's yours, and then give him the same commercial beer and tell him it's the commercial one. This can help you figure out if he's more biased in the expectation that your beer sucks, or that the commercial stuff is better.

Pretty sure its the bias that my beer sucks. He has said as much.

Sorry your brother is a jackass to you. If it were me, I'd consider just not giving him any more beer.

Meh. He just recently turned 21 so I am trying to ween him off the piss water. We are actually pretty close and are just asses to each other. In a brotherly love fashion. I am pretty sure the Amber will actually change his mind ;) even if he doesn't end up openly admitting it.

I was expecting guffaws from my gaming group last night that I fed the stout too based on the bias against home brew but I actually had two guys call it the "best beer the have ever had".

Meh. He just recently turned 21 so I am trying to ween him off the piss water. We are actually pretty close and are just asses to each other. In a brotherly love fashion. I am pretty sure the Amber will actually change his mind ;) even if he doesn't end up openly admitting it.

I was expecting guffaws from my gaming group last night that I fed the stout too based on the bias against home brew but I actually had two guys call it the "best beer the have ever had".

Have you read about love languages? I am convinced that there is a category missing in all the writing out there. My brothers and I all give and receive love in the language of hate.

lostmind said:
Funny, I know several Germans who love Budweiser.

I just got back from Eppelheim and my new favorite beer is weis/pils.

I realize this post is long dead and gone, but I feel like I have to respond. Budweiser ans Bud are NOT, I repeat: NOT the same thing. As a matter of fact, there still is a brewery in Budweis/Budvar in operation, and they make actual honest-to-god beer that tastes great and is not in any way related to the malt derived piss that is commonly known as Bud. The brewery being located in Budweis/Budvar, they call their beer Budweiser (as they habe been doing for centuries).

A buddy of mine just came back from an extended stint working in Germany and he confirmed that the Budweiser consumed there is definitely a different (and far superior) product to the Bud we see here in the US. Now, Inbev could still be involved there, I don't know. But there's no question the product is different.

A buddy of mine just came back from an extended stint working in Germany and he confirmed that the Budweiser consumed there is definitely a different (and far superior) product to the Bud we see here in the US. Now, Inbev could still be involved there, I don't know. But there's no question the product is different.

I doubt the German beer "purity" laws would allow adjunct brews like Bud made in the States. Take out all that rice and corn and of course the beer will be different...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
I doubt the German beer "purity" laws would allow adjunct brews like Bud made in the States. Take out all that rice and corn and of course the beer will be different...

Cheers!

Budweis/Budvar is in the Czech Republic (large areas of the country used to have a considerable German population pre-war, therefore the name in German and in Czech), German purity laws don't apply there. I believe that THE purity law is not even legally binding any more (hence the availability of Roggenbier and Dinkelbier in Germany), but it's commonly believed it is, commonly overmystified and commonly misunderstood (even here on HBT), but putting "brewed according to the purity laws" on the label makes for great marketing.

Budweis/Budvar is in the Czech Republic (large areas of the country used to have a considerable German population pre-war, therefore the name in German and in Czech), German purity laws don't apply there. I believe that THE purity law is not even legally binding any more (hence the availability of Roggenbier and Dinkelbier in Germany), but it's commonly believed it is, commonly overmystified and commonly misunderstood (even here on HBT), but putting "brewed according to the purity laws" on the label makes for great marketing.

The Bud from Ceske Budejovice is awesome. You can fight it here in the states as Czechvar due to the legal battle between its brewery and Anheuser Busch. Interesting little story behind it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123801865666341507.html

sonofgrok said:
My brother last night trying my new stout: "This is disgusting"
Me: "Ok. Let me get you a Guinness" (I don't have guinness in the house. I actually poured him another of the exact same home brew stout)
Brother: "See? now this is a good beer"

Lol good one. A bit on the troll side, but We'll see when you let hime know you were just f-ing with him. :)

Alright, so my buddies wife is out of town for a few weeks, it's rainy, and we decided to have him over for supper to get him out of the house. This guys favorite beers are Racer 5 and Hop Stoopid. He brews with me! He has two kits sitting in my garage! I had bottled some of my Citra pale ale into some Corona Especial 32's, and I got one out and poured us each a pint from it. He takes a pungent, palate obliterating sip from his glass and says "I love this Corona! I used to get these all the time!". My wife caught on real quick and we exchanged a glance. Neither of us said a word. Now I am wondering if it's just the power of the placebo, or if I've been wasting really good beer on this guy!

bottlebomber said:
Alright, so my buddies wife is out of town for a few weeks, it's rainy, and we decided to have him over for supper to get him out of the house. This guys favorite beers are Racer 5 and Hop Stoopid. He brews with me! He has two kits sitting in my garage! I had bottled some of my Citra pale ale into some Corona Especial 32's, and I got one out and poured us each a pint from it. He takes a pungent, palate obliterating sip from his glass and says "I love this Corona! I used to get these all the time!". My wife caught on real quick and we exchanged a glance. Neither of us said a word. Now I am wondering if it's just the power of the placebo, or if I've been wasting really good beer on this guy!

Sounds like he just likes the beer and doesn't quite remember what Corona actually tastes like.

emjay said:
Sounds like he just likes the beer and doesn't quite remember what Corona actually tastes like.

I'm hoping you're right. It was still funny though. For 2.99 a quart I'd be buying it all day long if it tasted like that.

It's the power of suggestion taking part on an open mind.

It's the power of suggestion taking part on an open mind.

I'm not so certain it works on everyone. When I was a kid I used to work at a coffee shop (damn seniors always in a rush to sit and do nothing in the food court). anyways.

Sometimes things would get busy and you've give someone Irish cream instead of whatever flavoured coffee they ordered. They'd come back in 5 minutes swearing that you put drain-o in their coffee. There was nothing wrong with the coffee, it's just they completely rejected it because it was inconsistent with what they were expecting. And thus, they freaked.

My favorite is when people say, "Its like a *insert beer description*-er New Castle."

Also I love when peoole say they can really taste something that just isn't there.

Finally I just love telling people the wrong ABV% and watch them "frunk" the whole night. Frunk was our high school term for people who would exagerate being hammered.

caioz1jp said:
Finally I just love telling people the wrong ABV% and watch them "frunk" the whole night. Frunk was our high school term for people who would exagerate being hammered.

Huh.. Reminds me of the "Pretendica" that some of the freshmen kids thought they got high off of.

Finally I just love telling people the wrong ABV% and watch them "frunk" the whole night.

my neighbor loves my brew, and especially dark brews. i usually have jamil's dark mild (3.7%) on tap. i mess with his head every time telling him it's strong and to be careful. he usually drinks shiner bock when not drinking mine. i always laugh when he staggers off after drinking 3 or 4 of mine :D he can drink shiner bock nonstop for hours

Today I allowed my boss to sample an Apple pie ale today.
After he drank a small cup of the stuff he said " That's really good but I'm mosrly into lagers and ales".

Back