The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I allowed my boss to sample an Apple pie ale today.
After he drank a small cup of the stuff he said " That's really good but I'm mosrly into lagers and ales".

Did you tell him it was an Apple Pie Ale? how fruity was it? sure he didn't say "... lagers than ales"?

had a party this weekend for my upcoming birthday and had a few friends over.

needless to say there was a multitude of drinks served, we finished off 4 kegs in my kegerator and did damaged to 2 cases of swill (for drinking games) and a case of sams...

the next morning my old friend asked me if i had ever "cleaned out my taps or lines" and i said i do on a regular basis. He then proceeded to tell me that he felt sick because i "obviously had bacteria and mold growing in my draft setup"

yes... it wasn't the 15+ beers you had the night before, it was my dirty lines.. of which i clean and drink from just about every night and never have any issues...

(the taps are all perlick forward sealing faucets, i could be wrong but i believe these style faucets do also aid in inhibiting bacteria due to the way they close, but that could be a misconception, regardless i do clean them)

The stupidest comment I have ever received in the last 24 hours for my beer is:

She: It's very professional!

Me: (pause for shock) ...No, it tastes like absolutely ****. Your taste buds are completely invalid. Seriously, it's like asking the def dumb and blind for an opinion.

She: No, really it's not bad!

Me: (Please.. just leave... )

I have no idea what's wrong with these people.

iambeer said:
The stupidest comment I have ever received in the last 24 hours for my beer is:

She: It's very professional!

Me: (pause for shock) ...No, it tastes like absolutely ****. Your taste buds are completely invalid. Seriously, it's like asking the def dumb and blind for an opinion.

She: No, really it's not bad!

Me: (Please.. just leave... )

I have no idea what's wrong with these people.

I really hope you're just mocking people. :eek:

Fizzycist said:
I'm guessing they hate you and just want to mess with your head.

Thoughtful fare. What if they were being nice but don't actually care, like 95% of malt beverage consumers in the US?

Yesterday, I had to close a light-hearted, humorous thread because posters started bickering and fighting. I'm not going to take the time to edit a thread like this, if personal insults and sniping happen, we'll close it.

Please stay away from the back-and-forth little insults and sniping. Thanks!

had a party this weekend for my upcoming birthday and had a few friends over.

needless to say there was a multitude of drinks served, we finished off 4 kegs in my kegerator and did damaged to 2 cases of swill (for drinking games) and a case of sams...

the next morning my old friend asked me if i had ever "cleaned out my taps or lines" and i said i do on a regular basis. He then proceeded to tell me that he felt sick because i "obviously had bacteria and mold growing in my draft setup"

yes... it wasn't the 15+ beers you had the night before, it was my dirty lines.. of which i clean and drink from just about every night and never have any issues...

(the taps are all perlick forward sealing faucets, i could be wrong but i believe these style faucets do also aid in inhibiting bacteria due to the way they close, but that could be a misconception, regardless i do clean them)

I've had a friend say about the same thing to me before. It's the best when it's someone who has never once owned or operated any keg tapping/dispensing equipment of their own. I followed his accusation up with "Oh well how would you suggest I clean them in the future?"
Him- :confused:

Stop complaining about free beer, people!

I've had a friend say about the same thing to me before. It's the best when it's someone who has never once owned or operated any keg tapping/dispensing equipment of their own. I followed his accusation up with "Oh well how would you suggest I clean them in the future?"
Him- :confused:

Stop complaining about free beer, people!

one of the friends in the peanut gallery has owned a little mini kegerator setup (the kind you would buy from home depot etc...) and his comments were "well when i finally got around to cleaning out my taps i had a lot of nasty crap in there, so i think he's got a point"

yeah thats why i have perlicks, so they don;t have nasty **** in them... they are cleaner and dont stick and dont accumulate (as much) bacteria in them... that and i do clean them somewhat regularly

one of the friends in the peanut gallery has owned a little mini kegerator setup (the kind you would buy from home depot etc...) and his comments were "well when i finally got around to cleaning out my taps i had a lot of nasty crap in there, so i think he's got a point"

yeah thats why i have perlicks, so they don;t have nasty **** in them... they are cleaner and dont stick and dont accumulate (as much) bacteria in them... that and i do clean them somewhat regularly

Generally, I don't give very much weight to ridiculous comments, because people really don't know. $50 says most people who complain about "dirty lines" have no idea what that really means, or how they would even clean them.

I usually get good feedback, but a lot of that comes by not serving a beer I know a person probably won't like. For example RIS and IPA, I also usually warn people that these can be acquired tastes they might not like, so let me give you a little sample first. this way if you dont like it you don't have to feel like you should finish it and I wont feel insulted if you don't. That being said I have an easy drinking 5%abv wheat beer. It is mostly like a belgian wit but I use a little breiss midnight wheat to make it dark and so call it a Dunkel. I keep a lot of this brewed and kegged, and introduce most people to this even if they aren't big into beer (most "non-beer drinkers" it seems just don't realize beer can taste good. Someone gave them a bud once and they were like wow beer tastes like crap) so I get the "I like this and I don't like beer" a lot haha

Now on to the good stuff - my wife's cousin
came over to learn to brew one day, tries my dunklen and almost broke my heart.

Him: wow it's dark I probably won't like it
Me: just taste it, it's not like you would expect (I imagine he sees dark and thinks Guinness I don't know)
Him: sips right from the bottle oh wow it's good
Me: ahhh let me get you a glass
Him: nah man I'm good like this, who drinks from a glass
Me: shakes my head
Him: you know what beer I love, Amstel light. I'm buying this guy at work's kegerator for 400 what a deal. I will probably keep either Amstel light or blue moon in there
Me: oh I can show you how to make a kegerator way cheaper then that
Him: ya know this tastes a lot like Amstel light I could keep a keg of this in there that would be great
Me: in my head(amstel light???? I should quit brewing)

I have never had Amstel light, but I assume I do not want my beer to taste like it haha

End of the day cleaning up I notice he didn't even make it half way through the beer...

I probably would have quit brewing. Amsetl light????
But the next day my BIL and his girlfriend came over. They tried it and both say things like "oh wow, good job." "Ya know it is kind of like hoegarten, a little different, but similar and very good"

I was happy with this review. It seems they have had more then just BMC apparently and even approximated the right style with little information on what ingredients I used. Then I told them what their cousin had said about Amstel light and they said "he is an idiot who drinks fruit loop flavored vodka what does he know"

Well at least it's decent, I will have to try some sometime, I hear light and assume its like BL or CL etc. I guess my own ignorance is partially responsible for the offense taken then haha

progmac said:
Amstel light is a pretty decent beer. But it is nothing like a dark belgian

Do you think Belgian dark is a better category to call this? I am afraid to say that its a belgian dark because i just use a few ounces of breiss midnight wheat and it imparts almost no flavor, i am not using anything like crystal/caramel or special b, I thought Belgian dark had more of those flavors this really tastes like a wit and is just dark colored, (I just did that to be different I guess)

Do you think Belgian dark is a better category to call this? I am afraid to say that its a belgian dark because i just use a few ounces of breiss midnight wheat and it imparts almost no flavor, i am not using anything like crystal/caramel or special b, I thought Belgian dark had more of those flavors this really tastes like a wit and is just dark colored, (I just did that to be different I guess)
Unless you're using belgian yeast, Dunkel weizen is probably the appropriate moniker (literally "Dark wheat")

That was my thoughts on it, but I use the "Belgian wit" spices ya know coriander orange peel etc. and you said Belgian dark so it got me thinking, but no I used Wb yeast so I will stick with dunkel, you have inspired me however to do the same recipe maybe a slightly higher grav. Split the batch in half and use Belgian yeast in one half, so thank you for my next experiment haha

Even better one, again by my wife's cousin shortly after I explained to him how I made skeeter p,
(pasteurize fresh lemonade, yeast nutrient, add champagne yeast, ferment)
Not an hour later to his wife and mother "you have to try this. It is lemonade with champagne hops!"
This is a guy who has seen me brew a few times, a self proclaimed wine expert, and has worked at a bar...

newb said:
Even better one, again by my wife's cousin shortly after I explained to him how I made skeeter p,
(pasteurize fresh lemonade, yeast nutrient, add champagne yeast, ferment)
Not an hour later to his wife and mother "you have to try this. It is lemonade with champagne hops!"
This is a guy who has seen me brew a few times, a self proclaimed wine expert, and has worked at a bar...

That definitely ranks up there.

I get more grapefruit than lemon from the Champagne hops.

Trivia: They can only be called Champagne hops if they're grown in Illinois. If they're grown any where else they have to be called sparkling white wine hops.

"Oh, wow, this is kind of like a Heineken." Why do people want to piss me off, just when I'm in a good mood....

Halbrust said:

Trivia: They can only be called Champagne hops if they're grown in Illinois. If they're grown any where else they have to be called sparkling white wine hops.

Why Illinois? Hahha I'm glad I have you guys to appreciate why the champagne hops comment was funny to me, I swear I could not make that up haha

Not exactly, to further complicate the situation sometimes they can be called Champange hops if they aren't from Illinois if they don't capitalize the "C". Also they may be labled with the name of the place where they are from followed by the lower case "C" word champange, such as "Washington champange hops". Another thing to consider is it depends on where in Illinois they were grown, if they are grown in Champaign Illinois they can only be labeled as "Illinois sparkling hops".

Ok I know no ones gonna get that but it was funny TO ME, I'm telling myself. It's also why I think wine labeling laws need a HUGE over haul.

My friend on my galaxy pale: "man i could really tast the spices in it, im not a fan of spices in beers but i know a lot of people are. I did like it though"

Me: uh thanks (it has no spices, galaxy hops, 2 row, honey malt and c-10

Not exactly, to further complicate the situation sometimes they can be called Champange hops if they aren't from Illinois if they don't capitalize the "C". Also they may be labled with the name of the place where they are from followed by the lower case "C" word champange, such as "Washington champange hops". Another thing to consider is it depends on where in Illinois they were grown, if they are grown in Champaign Illinois they can only be labeled as "Illinois sparkling hops".

Ok I know no ones gonna get that but it was funny TO ME, I'm telling myself. It's also why I think wine labeling laws need a HUGE over haul.

I believe you're forgetting that it can also be legally named "Method Champenoise Hops" as long as they are grown the same way they grow hops in Champagne, IL. They don't even have to be the same variety!

PS- Anyone else purposely pronounce Champagne as "Champ-agin" to themselves and laugh like an idiot? I does. ::cross:

New to brewing. First ag tomorrow. Brew buddies friend is already asking if we will do a miller lite clone

I've had a ton of people ask me for a BMC clone. one of my favorites though comes from my MIL, "He uses (real/a lot of) hops so it's stronger than normal beer."

"It's dark. Like Bud Heavy."

"I got you some tomato juice for your beer." when I was on my stout & porter kick.

Thankfully for me most of my friends are pretty knowledgeable about good beers and can truly appreciate anything from a delicate kölsch to an imperial stout. However, one night my roommate brought home some coworkers who claimed to love beer (be invited them back specifically to brag about my beer which made me feel pretty good)

I believe I had a saison and an IPA on tap at the time, as they drank the conversation went like this;

"Oh....it actually...tastes like beer."

"Umm yeah, what were you expecting?"

"I thought we were gonna have chew some dark black nasty sludge like most homebrews."

"Wtf kind of homebrewers are you friends with?"

Back