The smell of hops in an empty primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
Even with some pretty serious hot water and sanitizing, there's a vague smell of hops from my primary bucket, even when totally empty. It's hard to notice every time you stick your face into it, but its definitely there.

Should I take it as a sign to stop using it for primary and get a new bucket or a carboy?

Even with some pretty serious hot water and sanitizing, there's a vague smell of hops from my primary bucket, even when totally empty. It's hard to notice every time you stick your face into it, but its definitely there.

Should I take it as a sign to stop using it for primary and get a new bucket or a carboy?

Really you shouldn't put a whole lot of concern into what the vessel smells like. All of my buckets smell of different thinks like idophor for ex. Really you should only worry about your buckets if they have scratches in them that can house bacteria no matter how well you sanatize.

haha ok ok, I'm overconcerned. Ironically, I probably should have thought about it before posting. The last two beers I had made both started off tasting not quite right to me. The strange flavor has slowly seemed to fade away, but I was attributing that to a few different things, one of which was perhaps a corrupted primary bucket.

You guys were supposed to say, "you need another carboy" and also "you need three more carboys, and while you're at it, at least 2-3 1 gallon carboys too"

haha ok ok, I'm overconcerned. Ironically, I probably should have thought about it before posting. The last two beers I had made both started off tasting not quite right to me. The strange flavor has slowly seemed to fade away, but I was attributing that to a few different things, one of which was perhaps a corrupted primary bucket.

You guys were supposed to say, "you need another carboy" and also "you need three more carboys, and while you're at it, at least 2-3 1 gallon carboys too"

You need all new carboys. Send me those buckets ASAP so I can umm you know Sanatize them.

if your actually concerned about the smell, some oxyclean will take that out.

Back