the rubber bung that holds the airlock fell into my wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I was trying to fix the rubber bung that sits in the hole on the lid of my plastic fermenter and it fell in. I opened the lid and it wasn't there it must have went straight to the bottom....This wont effect the taste of my beer would it?? and Can I leave the airlock in the lid like that or should I get something to replace it.

That happened to me too, a number of years ago! I just grabbed some duct tape to hold the airlock in place and keep bugs out. It was fine.

You won't get any off-flavors from a little piece of rubber in there. I went out and bought another one, and it never happened again. Of course, I now mutter like Rainman on brewday, "Airlock goes on the lid, then the lid goes on the bucket" so I always put the airlock in first.

Those rubber grommets are slippery aren't they? :D

Welcome to a very large club. It will not hurt your beer to be left where it is nor will it hurt the beer to not be in the hole. Buy a second one next time you are in the store and you'll never lose one again. :)

Is there anyone that uses buckets NOT done that before they learn the proper sequence! :D Join the club. It is by no means exclusive. ;)

A tip for that if you use StarSan (or others, I'm not sure how well they work) but sanitizer water with a decent concentration is pretty slippery. I lube it up with sanitizer before I slip it in :D

A bit off topic...but do any of you guys smell the rubber gaskets in your buckets? I keep cleaning them thinking I can get the smell out but I think it's permeated the rubber... it smells funk-o-licious... ...my hop bag does to but I figure that's never going away.

I've never had a problem slipping it into a carboy or a bucket, myself. Never broke a hydrometer either. I must be some sort of idiot savant or something.

You could keep a #1 or #2 drilled stopper on hand, they fit in the hole on the lid. Or even use the stopper instead of a gromet, they'll never fall in.

I've never had a problem slipping it into a carboy or a bucket, myself. Never broke a hydrometer either. I must be some sort of idiot savant or something.

Breaking glass thermometers while plunking them into hot wort is also pretty common...dropping those little stem cooking thermometers into wort or mash is probably another (I have bad luck with thermometers and need a long stem digital one). If none of those have happened to you, you're my hero :ban:

I did the same thing last night, but also broke my hydro (luckily it was in the sterilizing bucket). The good news: I hit all my temps and the wort looks and smells delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Back