The pumpkin lowered my OG.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diatre

Reaction score
I just got done bottling an IPA, all malt extract. the OG was 1.040, FG 1.010. little shy of where i wanted, but oh well.
I did the same extract for another brew since my carboy was now empty and looked like it needed to make me some more bottle buddies. but this time i wanted to try some pumpkin, i love pumpkin beer, so my mind was made. I steeped the grains. then I used canned pumpkin, baked it at 350 for bout an hour and threw it right into the boil at the beginning with all my other extracts, added some spices and what ever i thought would make the beer good. totally a recipe off the top of my head. it was to thick to just pour into my bucket for primary fermentation so i screened over the bucket and sparged the wort. (is that correct?) so now i have what i want to ferment, so i took the gravity and it was 1.033. two days later i have just took another reading and it is 1.014. i will continue to take these and wait for it to stay the same then rack, but im thinking of adding sugar to the rack to increase the ABV, but i hear this can make rocket fuel. i guess my question is, i just did a batch before, and the gravity was where i wanted it, how did adding pumpkin lower it? and should i add sugar to the secondary i never have before. or maybe a molasses?

any help thanks.

Diatre

I'd leave it and just have a lower ABV beer. When I add sugar, it seems to dry out the beer. I just did a pumpkin frankenbeer. The specific gravity finished lower - like 1.008 I think. It has a dry character.

thanks for the info Dynachrome. i would like for mine to finish that low or even lower would suite my fancy.

Back