The proper amount of Crush on my grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankisanerd

Reaction score
I just adjusted my Barley Crusher to the gap of a Credit Card and here is the result. Is it good to go?

I have to replace the O-ring, it had dried out after all these years. I just need to find instructions on how to do that.

H

IMG_2046.jpg

With a crush that course you might get conversion with an overnite mash. There's 6 whole corns that I can see,I would get a MIAB for your tun and set the gap to .028 or so. I get 80% eff. I think there should be some dust , but I see none.

With a crush that course you might get conversion with an overnite mash. There's 6 whole corns that I can see,I would get a MIAB for your tun and set the gap to .028 or so. I get 80% eff. I think there should be some dust , but I see none.
Here is a better picture.
IMG_2047.jpg

Yeah, it was by hand...

if you're doing this by hand...setting the gap to 0.028" might be tough to turn the crank?

or maybe repurpose a 2 litter , or plastic water bottle to feed the grain to mill in a narrow range to make it easier on the wrist?

also, i gotta get my drill up to speed before i fill my hopper, otherwise it wouldn't have the torque...

if you're doing this by hand...setting the gap to 0.028" might be tough to turn the crank?

or maybe repurpose a 2 litter , or plastic water bottle to feed the grain to mill in a narrow range to make it easier on the wrist?

also, i gotta get my drill up to speed before i fill my hopper, otherwise it wouldn't have the torque...
This is in my 15 year old plus "The Barley Crusher" or as I call it Wesley. I will be attaching a cordless drill to make it go better.

Visuals can be somewhat misleading. I was looking at my crush today. Mostly broken bits, with some grains that looked whole at first. But every seemingly whole kennel I examined was in fact smashed - the hull looked intact, but was nothing like a whole kernel - fell apart when gently handled. BIAB apparently benefits from narrower gaps, but my lauter efficiency is generally in the 80s even though it looks rather like OP's original pix. Go figure.

Back