The Pounder IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooman333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Overall today was pretty good. My OG was way lower than I would have liked but this beer should be very tasty!

14lb 2row
2lb Honey malt
1lb cara
1lb crystal 20
1lb Dextrose

1oz Pacific Jade @100min
2oz Columbus @100min
1oz Simcoe @ 85min
2oz Glacier @ 70min
2oz Simcoe @ 15min
2oz Amarillo @ 15min

Dry hop 2oz Simcoe
Dry hop 2oz Amarillo
Dry hop 1oz Cascade
Dry hop 1oz Centennial
2 whirlfloc tabs
11oz gypsum
2 packs Safale 05

Mashed at 154 (shooting for 152)
Pre boil grav of 1.047 (shooting for 1.070)
OG of 1.070 (shooting for 1.090)---ouch
Not sure what went wrong with the OG but Im sure this will end up just fine.
This was my first big beer attempt. pretty excited.

Pre Boil

DSC02207.jpg

DSC02210.jpg

last pic is after 30 min of sitting still. As of right now its been there 1 hour and theres 2 inches of krausen and bubblin like crazy!

DSC02214.jpg

DSC02217.jpg

Yeah, you're gonna have a sticky sweet IIPA with an acrid bitterness at the same time. And that's a whole lot of gypsum!! 11 oz??

What the hell made it so dark?

Alot of things didnt go to plan on this brew...

My new 15gal pot didnt boil off as fast as I thought it would, ended up boiling for an extra 40min. Which lifted my IBUs to an obnoxious height.

The color is way too dark and was right off the bat. Makes me think I was shipped the wrong crystal malt.

Mashed 2 degrees higher than I wanted

Mash in with 5.75gal

two sparge with 4 gal total water

8.5gal pre boil volume

1.047 pre boil SG (way too low)

1.070 OG (way too low)

Correction... 1oz gypsum not 11oz

You guys think this will taste good?

I'm not an expert but I think it will be super sweet/malty due to the high mash temp and crazy bitter with all those early additions and an extra 40 minutes of boil.

Why didn't you do any late additions?

I guess it depends on what you like, should be interesting to see how it tastes

I messed up and didn't check my volume before adding the 4oz of amarillo and simcoe. If it woulda been a 60 min boil those hops would have been at flameout. Let's hope the extra bittering balances the sweetness. I'm no expert (obviously) either and its pretty disappointing when such an expensive brew goes wrong. I'm guna dry hop the hell outa it. Should help a bit too.

it was a pre-measured amount of gypsum/something else for a 5 gallon batch of brew. I was just experimenting. Why do you think 1lb of crystal 20 is too much?

Here's the malt profile for my IIPA. It's still pretty sweet, but not more sweet than an IIPA should be, IMO. You've got a ton of Honey Malt in yours, and I bet you'll find it to be cloying.

14lbs 2-Row
1lb Crystal - 10L
0.5lb Dextrine
0.5lb Honey Malt

Mash @ 149 for 75min

OG= 1.078

If you're shooting for 1.090, up the base malt, and maybe go for 0.75lb Honey, maybe 1lb, but I think that may still be a bit much. 2lbs is a whole lot for a 5 gallon batch. I'm considering ditching the Dextrine, but haven't decided yet. I'll get more feedback from others before I do. Hope this turns out for you.

In case you're interested, my recipe only uses 10oz of hops, but I think I will up the late additions by an ounce, and add another to the dry hop.

It's not that 1 lb. of crystal 20 is too much for the typical batch of IIPA...

It's that this...

"2lb Honey malt
1lb cara
1lb crystal 20"

...Comprises approx. 22% of your grist.

The usual recommendation for total cara malts in a hoppy IPA/IIPA is <10%. The honey malt and crystal malt are very sweet, and that high % is not typical.

I prefer 0-5% crystal malt alone myself. Crystal is not mandatory for these kinds of beers, though a little bit may help depending on the brewer's own tastes.

Been in primary for 2weeks now. SG dropped lower than expected... 1.013 for not quite hitting my marks the first taste test was UNBELIEVABLE!!! And I havnt even dryhopped yet! I think I'm lookin at about a 7.5ABV so not quite as "Imperial" as hoped but that taste test was my best so far. Ill keep ya guys posted.

Latest posts

Back