The Poor Man's Guide to an Extract/Steeped Grains Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its02003

Reaction score
As far as equipment goes, ill just lend my 2 pennies and be done.

I only started this brewing about three weeks ago and it was pretty much an impulse decision. I love beer and i was on the Sam Adams site and they had a home brewing contest and i thought it would be cool. I went a liquor store and found out there was a HBS a couple blocks away. I went in and asked the guy what i needed to start brewing and how hard it would be. He brought out 2 buckets and filled each with everything i would need (turns out it wasnt everything.)

Here it is, and trust me, you dont need any more than this, especially if you are trying to limit your budget and only brewing extract.

-bucket with grommeted lid with 1 inch hole drilled in the top for air lock (primary fermenter) ~ 15 bucks
-bucket with plain snap on lid with 1 inch hole drilled near the bottom for spigot (bottling bucket) ~ 13 bucks
-hydrometer (VERY VERY important)--note that the tube it comes in can be used to take the samples with ~ 5 bucks
-fermometer (sticky liquid crystal strip that allows you to monitor the exact temp of the beer in the primary) ~ 2 bucks
-racking tube ~ 2 bucks
-siphon hose (6ft or so (better to be long than short, especially since that stuff is so cheap)) ~2 bucks
-some sort of stopper to stick in the hole of the primary fermenter that will seal it ~ 1-2 bucks
-hole drilled in the stopper for the airlock​
-airlock (style depends on personal preference as there are a few different styles out there) ~2 bucks
-Sanitizer i shouldn't have to stress the importance here (I use starsan as was recommended by most people on this forum) ~ 32 oz for 12 bucks
-Bottle Brush VERY key ~ 3 bucks
-Bottle Filler ~3 bucks
-Bottle Capper ~ 12 bucks
-Brewing Kit-- if you dont use a kit, make sure to take into account that the kits come with bottle caps and priming solution~ 27-33 bucks

now we get into the more off beat stuff or stuff you might not want to buy at your HBS

-turkey baster (i know it sounds stupid, but i used it a LOT in just my first batch) ~ 2 bucks (WAL-MART!!!)
-taking samples from the primary for hydrometer readings without needing to remove the lid
-for siphoning, (rather than spending money on an auto siphon, put some of the beer from the primary in the siphon tubing using the baster to prime the siphon line... make sure you put enough in to prime the line enough, usually the more you put in the better)​
-Brew Pot in sticking with the theme of saving money, i got mine at ocean state... 5 gallon stainless steel for like 12 bucks after CT 6% sales tax
-Thermometer you can order the floating one from say northwest or some other online retailer for pretty cheap but i know bed bath and beyond has a good sugar one that clips onto your pot for like 12 bucks (i was already started with my batch when i realized i didnt have that key little trinket and the one i got i really like)
-OxyClean useful to clean anything that is gummed up or soiled and it takes labels off like a dream ~5 bucks
-Sponge with abrasive back: this will allow you to clean off the gum from the labels on your beer bottles ~ 3 bucks for a multi pack
-Spray bottle that allows you to refill it (Home Depot sells them in 3 packs for 5 bucks) which you can use to put sanitizer in and clean weird places
-Plastic\Stainless Spoon make it at least 18 inches in length, i use 21 inch... it comes in handy (again) many many times ~ 7 bucks

Note: Dont buy a drying rack if you have a dishwasher: spray sanitizer on the dishwasher racks and let it dry, then put the bottles upside down on the rack and let them dry.

And just to note, i have spent the last 3 weeks searching for the absolute best deals i can find so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

All in all, right around 150 bucks including ingredients

-I don't THINK I forgot anything but i wouldnt doubt im leaving some piece of equipment i have sitting at home out of this list... feel free to contribute as needed

Latest posts

Back