The Only Negative Thing About Being A NW Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0weno

Reaction score
I love reading this blog as I am a person that loves to educate those around me as often as possible. It's not exactly a positive personality trait, but it's one that I share with a lot of you.

As to the title of this post I kind of miss living in a place where no one knows anything about beer. None of my friends drink MBC exclusively. When I started homebrewing they had so much local micro to compare it to it took me a year to get my brewing to the point to where folks would think it good.

Kegging really has made my beer amazing, and I am happily cranking out quality beers almost every time I brew!

I don't have too much trouble with educated palettes even though no one close to me drinks BMC. They seem impressed that one can even homebrew something drinkable. I could have an unfair advantage since I was a professional cook for 18 years and food comes very easy to me.
Even if I got lukewarm responses to my creations I would not trade my location for somewhere, lets say, like Texas or Missouri.

I think I understand what you are saying. My problem is exasperated by the fact that most of the friends I have that know I am starting to brew beer are actually professional brewers in and around Bend. They are helpful and happy that I finally started doing this, but I told them I'm not sure how long it would be until I stopped by their BrewHouse with any of my bottles to try.

They completely understood.

I wouldn't be anywhere else, and yes I have lived all over the world.

The PNW allows me to grow great hops, and after my first year I've brewed two great beers with them.

My friends have enjoyed my beer, even though they have access to great local micro brews. It forces me to brew better beer and strive for invention and creativity in my brewing.

Cheers
:mug:

I just started brewing, and I understand. If I had a lot of friends who liked Coors or Busch light, I might be willing to have them try the crappy fruit hefs I just brewed. As is... I hide them and only drink them myself so I can get the bottles back to use for better beers.

My friends have enjoyed my beer, even though they have access to great local micro brews. It forces me to brew better beer and strive for invention and creativity in my brewing.

Cheers
:mug:

This is why I brew also. I find myself trying to be more inventive or creative because we have such a huge selection up here. We can practically get any style of beer we want. I tend to brew ones I really like and can't find. Most of my beer snob buddies really enjoy what I have to offer, whether it tastes good or not. One of them has even offered to grow hops for me to use and make an IPA with! :) That's how much they are into it because they have the knowledge. :mug:

Some of my friends dont really know the difference between astringency and bitterness, so even when I gave them my first few 'bad beers' they loved them. It makes me feel good but I know that I have to continue to improve.
-Jeff-

About the only problem I have up here is the hopheads who can't accept that other styles of beer exist. Not as bad as it was 3-4 years ago. Was at a club meeting this month where no one brought an IPA!

Hmmm, good points. So, I see the question as: "Why do we brew beer"?

Two answers -

One - because we are tired of the crap sold in most stores, basically its flavored bottled water. No joke here, Miller Genuine Draught gives me headaches.

And TWO - because we can!

At least your friends drink BEER. My friends might drink some premium light lager. They expect a beer to be cold, and thin, and fizzy. All beer. They think Heineken and Red Stripe are some of the best beers in the world.

I'm pretty new to the whole brewing thing, but I love being a PNW brewer. I live in the sticks of SW Washington, so all of my friends are essentially BMC drinkers. My first brew turned out OK but all of my friends actually like it. I've been slowly trying to convert these poor bastards to craft beers and with the help of a few homebrews it is going to happen. I like all of the access to homebrew supplies and ingredients here in the Northwest. The next few brews are going to rock.

At least we don't have to send our beers to competitions to get constructive feedback.

And, we don't have to make a light lager or cream ale to have a party. :fro:

Latest posts

Back