The Ohio Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this just showed up in Columbus:
cp9zsOK.jpg

ca-d-strongwater-001.jpg

(Photo from Columbus Alive)

Strongwater in Franklinton had their soft opening last night. It's pretty nice. They had six taps with Fox Barrel Cider, two Seventh Sons, Smuttynose Finest Kind, an imperial stout from Actual and Columbus IPA. They also had a handful of bottles from Ithaca and others. I also tried their in-house 'Strongwater Rye': Bulleit Rye infused with port brined peppercorns and habaneros. I wasn't very into it but it wasn't terrible. Kitchen hasn't opened yet.

I'll probably be there all the time as I just live down the street. If anyone ever wants to grab a beer there, hit me up.

Last edited:
so it looks like weilands just posted pappy lotb and 15yr on twitter, presumably first come first serve. if you're in columbus, maybe worth checking out if you can get there very very quickly.

Stone's Punishment is hitting the shelves today - $20 each. Not sure about Crime, though.

Crime is around.

Also, it appears as though Pappy was actually released last week and is gone. Weiland's is raffling the chance to buy a single bottle of Rip Van Winkle 10yr.

Rockmill made a new beer! Too bad it's $19. I'm also not too into the idea of beefed up high ABV saisons. It is a pretty beautiful bottle, though and I hope this means we'll be seeing more new Rockmill brews (though <$15 would be nice).

What is our Saison Supér you ask? In it we magnified the elements of our traditional Saison to create a bigger version… 8.5 alc/vol to be exact. It is a pilsner based brew with a rich and creamy texture to the malt bill. It has a more significant hop profile that compliments the spice notes from our yeast strain.

saison-super-square.jpg

More Jackie O's info:

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/jackie-os-pub-brewery-2014-special-release-schedule/

Release Schedule

Seasonals:
Fall: Barking Pumpkin Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Spring: Mourning Cloak- session IPA
Summer: New Growth- spruce tip IPA
Winter: Java the Stout- Coffee Stout

Specials:

• Paw Paw Wheat-imperial wheat ale with Paw Paw Fruit Jan Mar May July Sept Nov
  • Bourbon Barrel Dark Apparition Feb
  • Rum Barrel Oil Of Aphrodite Apr
  • Bourbon Barrel Brick Kiln Jun
  • Bourbon Barrel Black Maple Aug
  • Bourbon Barrel Wood Burner Oct
  • Oloroso Barrel Brick Kiln Dec
  • Dark Apparition Jan/Feb Jul/Aug
  • Brick Kiln Mar/Apr Sept/Oct
  • Oil of Aphrodite May/Jun Nov/Dec

• Waka Waka Waka DIPA Jan/Feb July/Aug
  • Matriarch TIPA Mar/Apr Sept/Oct
  • Mandala Single Hop DIPA May/Jun Nov/Dec
Other items of interest

- “No new markets , just Ohio, focusing on saturating the state.”

- “Single best selling product this year was Mystic Mama IPA cans.”

- “Hoping to link up with Tiered Hands, Pizza Boy, Crooked Stave, and possibly Virtue Cider”

- “Our imperial/barrel aged beers will see some new labels and will be going into 375ml bottles.”

- “Our exclusive club “STAFF” will be ending in 2013. The brewpub will continue to do special releases, the larger brewery will simply announce when special beers hit the shelves.”

-” We have some new products that will hit cans in 2014, Hop Ryot, our rye IPA, will hit in early 2014 and Razz Wheat, our raspberry wheat, will hit in very late 2014.”

More Jackie O's info:
-” We have some new products that will hit cans in 2014, Hop Ryot, our rye IPA, will hit in early 2014 and Razz Wheat, our raspberry wheat, will hit in very late 2014.”

Hop Ryot was quite an unexpected gem. Hadn't heard a peep about it before I picked up a growler earlier in the year. I think that's their best everyday beer. I'll be looking for it.

Bourbon barrel Apple pie was released at the meadery today (150 bottles total) for $30 a 500ml. Also Collaborative ( Wild Ohio aged in Gin Barrel, 300 bottle total) for I believe $24.

Bourbon barrel Apple pie was released at the meadery today (150 bottles total) for $30 a 500ml. Also Collaborative ( Wild Ohio aged in Gin Barrel, 300 bottle total) for I believe $24.

How did I not know that Bourbon Barrel Apple Pie was happening? I will be stopping by after work!

yo ohio dudes. will be back in cincinnati (where im from originally) from 12/10-12/15. toying with the idea of hitting the jackie o's anniversary (though its annoying that id seemingly have to go up on friday to get a ticket then come back up on sat for the bottles). anyone have any experience at JO's events or suggestions otherwise?

yo ohio dudes. will be back in cincinnati (where im from originally) from 12/10-12/15. toying with the idea of hitting the jackie o's anniversary (though its annoying that id seemingly have to go up on friday to get a ticket then come back up on sat for the bottles). anyone have any experience at JO's events or suggestions otherwise?

Easiest, and best run releases ever.

if any of you guys are around I'll be there Friday night staying at a friends cabin. May have some SARA bottles with me

Cisco's Lady of the Woods and Pechish Woods have landed in Columbus - $18.99 a bottle. Lady of the Woods was a standout for me from a sour tasting a couple of months ago so I was excited to pick up a bottle!

Hammer of Holy has also landed in Columbus - 40 cases or so (from a Clown Shoes rep) for Ohio. Right now Crafted Drafts has it, and I'm sure we'll see at least another case around Columbus somewhere.

Dunno if anyone still cares...Wulver is still available in 4-packs at that place whose name I don't know by Gallo's on Bethel.

New Belgium has landed in Columbus.
We got Lips of Faith: Heavenly Feijoa Tripel, Paardebloem, and the chile beer with Cigar City

ABV Increase News!

Office of the Assistant Minority Whip

State Representative Dan Ramos

I am writing you because, in the past, you have contacted my office and expressed your interest in legislation I have been working on in Ohio to raise the allowable ABV in beer from 12% to 21%.

As you may be aware, I first began work on this legislation during the 129th General Assembly. The legislation was introduced on October 26th, 2011 with eight legislators agreeing to cosponsor the legislation. Ultimately, H.B. 356 only had one hearing before the State Government and Elections Committee and failed to receive additional hearings or be put to a vote before the General Assembly dissolved on December 31st, 2012. Over the course of 2013, I have been working hard to broaden support for raising the ABV limit and spreading awareness among legislators of the growing support for this measure in our state by both businesses and consumers.

With all of that in mind, I am pleased to let you know that the legislation to raise the allowable ABV has been formally re-introduced and will soon be assigned to committee. Including myself, 21 total legislators – 12 Democrats and 9 Republicans – have signed on to support increasing the allowable ABV in beer in Ohio to 21%. Of course, the legislative process moves slowly and this will likely remain a work in process for some time to come, but it is very encouraging that this legislation attracted cosponsors from all political ideologies.

This increase in cosponsors, I believe, is evidence of our state’s growing awareness of the significant economic impact the beer industry has and recognition of the great products that so many breweries within our state are producing.

In the coming weeks, this legislation will be assigned a bill number and then to a committee for consideration. Before the bill can go to a vote on the House floor the committee will need to hold public hearings and take a vote on the proposed legislation. I will continue to write with any updates as they are available. In the meantime, I would encourage you to contact your State Representative on this issue and urge their support on this matter. If you do not know who your State Representative is you can find their name and office information by visiting the following link: http://www.ohiohouse.gov/. The “Member Search” feature is located in the bottom left hand corner of the website.

Additionally, if you are a member of an industry organization or operate a business within the industry and would be willing to provide a letter establishing yourself as a proponent of this legislation please reach out to my legislative aide, John Tyler, by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at (614) 466-5141. We will be providing a list of proponents to the committee chairperson once this legislation has been assigned to a committee for consideration.

For your convenience, I have included a copy of the press release that went out upon introduction below. Feel free to circulate it among your networks as you see fit. Thank you, again, for your continued interest in this issue. If you have questions or if I can be of service to you in any way please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Cheers,

Dan Ramos
State Representative
56th Ohio House District
Office: 614-466-5141
[email protected]

Office of the Assistant Minority Whip
State Representative Dan Ramos

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: DEC. 17, 2013

Rep. Ramos Introduces Bill to Expand Ohio’s Brewing Industry
Proposal would encourage business growth, create more choices for brewers, consumers

COLUMBUS – State Rep. Dan Ramos (D-Lorain) re-introduced legislation on Monday to help spur economic development in Ohio’s growing brewing industry by allowing brewers to produce and sell beer containing up to 21 percent alcohol by volume (ABV).

“The brewing industry is one of the few sectors that continued to experience growth through the recession. It is time Ohio abandons unnecessary regulations that put us at a competitive disadvantage with other states and do whatever we can to encourage the further growth of these businesses,” said Rep. Ramos.

Craft brewers currently provide an estimated 108,000 jobs nationally and the industry has seen double digit growth over much of the last decade, with more breweries operating in 2012 than at any time since the 1880s.To target Ohio’s brewers for further economic development, the bill calls for a one year delay period to allow in-state businesses to create products in the 12-21 percent category in order to compete with out-of-state breweries that sell similar products.

“With other higher-proof options already available on Ohio’s store shelves, often at a cheaper cost to the consumer, this archaic government regulation just doesn’t make sense,” said Rep. Ramos. “It needlessly holds back Ohio brewers from having the freedom to experiment with new products, a restriction not faced by brewers in neighboring states.”

Nationally, fewer than 10 states limit the allowable ABV in beer and of Ohio’s neighboring states, only West Virginia has a set maximum. Under current Ohio law, beer produced or sold in the state is restricted to 12 percent ABV. Ohio last raised its ABV cap in 2002, from 6 percent to 12 percent alcohol by volume.

This legislation was first introduced for consideration in 2011, with 8 co-sponsors. Since that time, the legislation has gained strong bipartisan support, with 20 co-sponsors from all parts of the state. The bill will soon receive a number and be referred to a standing House committee for further consideration.

-30-

Edit: It is a bummer though that it would come with a 1 year delay before out of state stuff was allowed but it's so that in-state guys have a chance to catch up, which is a nice thing to do.

Last edited:
odd question--anyone seen that sprecher bourbon barrel rootbeer around recently? was hoping to grab some for a holiday gifty thing, but haven't seen it recently.

Has anyone seen that Rivertown gin and tonic sour, Triumvirate around Columbus lately? A regular trading partner has been asking me about it and I wanted to pick this up for him. If someone has an extra I have '12&'13 BCBS and BCBW I could trade you for one.

I saw it at corner stone a few days ago. Give them a call.
Has anyone seen that Rivertown gin and tonic sour, Triumvirate around Columbus lately? A regular trading partner has been asking me about it and I wanted to pick this up for him. If someone has an extra I have '12&'13 BCBS and BCBW I could trade you for one.

I actually saw it there last week as well. Went in yesterday and no dice. Called a few other of the regular places you'd expect and nothing. Thanks for the heads up though, didn't think it would sell out within a few days if it hadn't already since it's been out for a while already.

Heading home for the holidays this weekend (Greater Columbus area) and was looking for a bar with a nice beer and/or bourbon selection to get weird at. Downtown/NE Columbus area preferred. Suggestions?

we have a travel thread!
Columbus
not sure how NE we're talking, but bob's bar comes to mind immediately. bodega is just north of downtown, and also a good choice, especially during happy hour. can't speak to bourbon selections.

Back