The obsessive compulsive lawn thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fire ants are fun. I don't think you have them up north. Little attackers. Unreal when you get a platoon of them on your foot (or child). They are kamikaze biters, will bite relentlessly until you kill them. Amdro is the solution.

An interesting thing about St. Augustine grass, which is the coarse grass we use down here in FL. It grows horizonally, forming a thick thatch. If the lawn is healthy, you end up with a several inch growth above the sidewalks / driveway due to the root system that it develops. The nice thing about grass that grows this way is it crowds out the weeds. So, you don't really have to kill the weeds, just encourage the St. Augustine to grow and it will overpower everything in its way.

_mg_1587-67422.jpg

I hung some solar lamps in my back yard. They are pretty nifty. They are waterproof, stay off during the day, come on at night. They flicker a little bit, and look just like a candle when they are on. I hung them from fishing line so the line is mostly invisible. They have been hanging out there for weeks, enduring nightly rain (which is significant here). No problem. I bought a dozen of them on amazon (here). Amazingly, they stay on all night (I woke up at 4am one night and looked and they were just as bright).

_mg_1635-67451.jpg

_mg_16371-67449.jpg

_mg_16391-67450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you don't really have to kill the weeds, just encourage the St. Augustine to grow and it will overpower everything in its way.

_mg_1587-67422.jpg

That's because what Floridians call St. Augustine, the north calls crabgrass. In Florida, you purposefully grow it for your entire lawn and we kill it when we find a trace of it in ours.

Yeah that's what I plan on using next year, I didn't want to stress the lawn this year so I didn't weed at all. This year has been about destroying the billions of ants that call my lawn home. They can't be good for the roots. This dry soil is making it nice and easy for them to nest too. I put down the granular stuff at triple the recommended rate, watered it in well. Haven't seen much luck.

I think the majority of lawns in NE have grub problems. You may go a couple of years trying to figure out what youre doing wrong when the buggers are really just eating your roots. They were bad in my yard and I thought it was the way I was watering. Then I pulled on the grass and discovered that the roots were really shallow due to them. Start off the year using Grub-x.

My lawn is broooowwwwn. Good news bad news is I had a 100' white pine come crashing down from a down burst. I need more sun in my yard. Time to override the neighborhood association and cut more trees.

I think the majority of lawns in NE have grub problems. You may go a couple of years trying to figure out what youre doing wrong when the buggers are really just eating your roots. They were bad in my yard and I thought it was the way I was watering. Then I pulled on the grass and discovered that the roots were really shallow due to them. Start off the year using Grub-x.

My lawn is broooowwwwn. Good news bad news is I had a 100' white pine come crashing down from a down burst. I need more sun in my yard. Time to override the neighborhood association and cut more trees.

I kind of assumed that. Theres about 100 robins around and they're often picking at my lawn.

We've had almost a couple of weeks of baking temperature here, and even the neighbors that run automagic watering systems full bore are looking at totally fried and dormant turf now.

Meanwhile, my cultured weeds are filling in nicely...thanks to the raging crabgrass...

Cheers! ;)

We had a lot of robins of all ages decimating our mulberry trees this year. I need that bird netting in XXXXXL size. Been hotter than hell here too...& KISS was not involved. I need to do some weeding. Then transplant small Mulberry tree this fall & find a cheap weed killer for the lawn that isn't $25/bag.

I'm just going to dream about it. They have been gone long enough, and are at the age where one of their parents may have passed away. As awful as they've been to everyone else in the neighborhood, they haven't actually been bad to me. If they are grieving, I won't make their lives any worse.

I just don't understand how someone can enjoy living in a place where they seem to almost go out of their way to make enemies with everyone around them.

Latest posts

Back