The mystery of the altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinyHands

Reaction score
I'm dying to try to make an altbier, and I have done five extract batches. If I could make this an extract batch too, then great.

The problem is that I really don't have a good starting point. I've read some articles that list out all-grain, partial, and extract recipes. I plug these into Brewtarget, Brewer's Friend, and BrewedByUs, and they don't even come close to the BJ targets. Not that it really matters to me, it's just a bit confounding.

I've also read some recipes on Brewer's Friend that meet the targets dead-on. I'm a little confused, because they seem to deviate from the "orthodox" recipes I was reading from magazines and such.

Anyone have a good way to go about this? Anyone done an altbier (extract or partial) that went really well?

I am doing an Altbier extract this weekend. I bought from a local brew store but they are online with free shipping... lov2brew.com North German Altbier. Looks great to have for spring.

Back