The Life of The Homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingTravisty

Reaction score
I dunno if this is done before, but thought I would start it for S&G's. Name some of the issues you face as a homebrewer, funny, serious, normal, abnormal etc.

For me one of the issues is being so excited about something and realizing half way through my speech about my newest brew that everyone has zoned me out :cross: that and mentioning how much beer I have brewed and receiving an AA book.

I hang out with a lot of pro brewers.

I feel like it probably goes without saying that the struggle is real there.

My life impacts my brewing and vice versa. Biggest issue is, I do not / cannot travel for 4 to 6 days after a brew day. My ferm chamber is fed by ice blocks, and those are changed out daily for at least 4 days after a brew day - often 6. Even if I were electric, for fear of the blow off blowing off or other craziness, I would not want to leave town. I won't give up a paying job just brew - but I will forego a brew day to take the job (dammit!).

For me, it's being retired with bills to pay. Life comes first, obviously, but dang it, why does the brew day always have to come in second?! Gotta finish the other books, I suppose, in hopes I can make more money off the " right" one. but that takes a lot of time to complete, edit, etc. It's a vicious circle. :mug:

My life impacts my brewing and vice versa. Biggest issue is, I do not / cannot travel for 4 to 6 days after a brew day. My ferm chamber is fed by ice blocks, and those are changed out daily for at least 4 days after a brew day - often 6. Even if I were electric, for fear of the blow off blowing off or other craziness, I would not want to leave town. I won't give up a paying job just brew - but I will forego a brew day to take the job (dammit!).

I completely understand that lol I'm gonna have to go on a brewing hiatus for a good while starting next year, because I'll be traveling for the foreseeable future. And bringing all of my equipment on a plane over seas would very expensive and a huge hassle lol.

For me, it's being retired with bills to pay. Life comes first, obviously, but dang it, why does the brew day always have to come in second?! Gotta finish the other books, I suppose, in hopes I can make more money off the " right" one. but that takes a lot of time to complete, edit, etc. It's a vicious circle. :mug:

Lol yeah gotta make the money to pay for brewing :cross: :mug:

Fer sher! With two fermenters & a 6 gallon BB, I could do three batches at once if I had the money. Been kinda blocked up on book two of the Time Lords series. The country cookbook is coming along nicely, but I seem to have lost my original notebook. & finding info on John Henry is tough, after a certain point. I need about 56 more pages to finish the short version. People that said they'd contribute to the modern blue-collar comparison parts haven't sent anything yet. The new title is " John Henry & The Blue Collar world:Grit, Sweat & Love". One of two or three true tall tails in America. I have high hopes for this one to make some money & a little fame....do I here Bowie here?...

Fer sher! With two fermenters & a 6 gallon BB, I could do three batches at once if I had the money. Been kinda blocked up on book two of the Time Lords series. The country cookbook is coming along nicely, but I seem to have lost my original notebook. & finding info on John Henry is tough, after a certain point. I need about 56 more pages to finish the short version. People that said they'd contribute to the modern blue-collar comparison parts haven't sent anything yet. The new title is " John Henry & The Blue Collar world:Grit, Sweat & Love". One of two or three true tall tails in America. I have high hopes for this one to make some money & a little fame....do I here Bowie here?...

Lol good luck with that! I've been fairly lucky recently with being able to afford brewing. I've got 2 carboys a BB filled right now, about to bottle one today or tomorrow. Which kind of lends credence to everyone's idea that I'm becoming an alcoholic lol but honestly I just enjoy brewing.

I need all the luck I can get with the books. Some think they might be tech heavy ( the Time lords one), but I was just trying to match the sort of writing from the original Star Trek writers. But they do say that additions in a series that follow help the earlier ones, so we'll see.
And yeah, lots of folks think we're alcoholics, that we drink all 5 gallons in one sitting. I can't drink like that anymore. I get tired of explaining to them that we keg or bottle it all up, let it sit to make co2, fridge to get the gas into the beer,etc. Ah, then you hear all that sighin' & them eyes roll over white...:D

I need all the luck I can get with the books. Some think they might be tech heavy ( the Time lords one), but I was just trying to match the sort of writing from the original Star Trek writers. But they do say that additions in a series that follow help the earlier ones, so we'll see.
And yeah, lots of folks think we're alcoholics, that we drink all 5 gallons in one sitting. I can't drink like that anymore. I get tired of explaining to them that we keg or bottle it all up, let it sit to make co2, fridge to get the gas into the beer,etc. Ah, then you hear all that sighin' & them eyes roll over white...:D

Every now and then I'll drink too much but that's very rare for me. Normally when I drink, I'll have a couple and be good. I actually hate being drunk lol I just find the process of brewing extremely fascinating and actually doing it very relaxing. My brother in law is actually the one who suggested we start doing it. So far he's helped a little with one batch lol has no problem drinking it though haha.

And honestly, I like tech heavy books. I think it kind of fits the star trek universe. I've never really watched the movies or tv shows but I have enjoyed a few of the books, hopefully one day soon I'll be reading one of yours :mug:

Well, check out the links & read the available teaser. Book two is gonna be wild. Goes more into how we " moderns" deal with the truth of the " ancient astronauts" , lost knowledge, etc. As for the moment, I'm soaking/cleaning a bunch of airlocks & spigots, getting ready to get more brewing stuff next weekend on retiree payday! Always some cleaning/rearranging to be done! :ban:

Back