The Kiss of Death

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I long ago learned that I have a rare and valuable skill. I merely need to develop a liking for something and purchase it regularly and it will be discontinued, or the price will skyrocket. For example:
I first bought a car back in 1972, paying 27.9 cents a gallon. On October 6 of the following year Egypt and Syria attacked Israel jointly in what was to be called the Yom Kippur war. The result was the Arab Oil Embargo, and the price of gas tripled, never to return to prewar levels, I now pay over 10 times as much for a gallon of gas, and have paid as high as $5

I have only to buy a stock, and the price will plummet, and stay down no matter how long I hold the stock, then begin to rise when I sell. Unfortunately I can't outguess this one. I can't simply say to myself...... "I'll buy this one"..... and then sell it short instead. The price follows my actual actions. You could get rich looking over my shoulder!

Nearly anything I buy regularly if it's not a staple that everybody buys, will simply cease to be produced........... If it is an extremly popular product, it will not vanish from store shelves, but the price will skyrocket. Examples are Beef and Eggs.

Yesterday I went to Billings to get engine parts for the 2.5L Subaru in a 2010 Outback I bought that had a knock in the engine ($1000 approx). Note that since I started driving Subarus, inexpensive after market parts have vanished, and Subaru has begun charging 10 times the reasonable price.

I also went looking for a 6' pry bar of a style that used to be common.......... It or anything else similar was not to be found anywere in Billings.

On the way out, I stopped at Walmart for a few items..... frozen concentrate grapefruit juice being one of them. Walmart didn't have it, Albertsons didn't have it, and none of the 5 grocery stores on the way home from Billings carried it. I know where I can get it in Livingston, but I can virtually guarantee that they will discontinue it........ because I buy it regularly.

Another example is those little squeeze type coin purses the gas stations and banks used to give away............ Try and find one now!!

Another example is the clip on flip up sun glasses that until a few years ago were extremely common........... Now only the clip on non-flip up sun glasses are available anywhere. These are not worth a damn for driving because you are always having to fumble with them to take them off or put them on........... Am I the only one that absolutely refuses to use photogray lenses?? They are bad for your eyes, just like a calculator is bad for your brain, and just like people who drive everywhere soon can't walk more than a block.

..........And the list goes on and on and on..........

H.W.

Actually, the price of gas is almost as cheap now as it was during the embargo, when adjusted for inflation. And it certainly did return to prewar prices for a while between the mid 80's and very early 2000's.

fotw835.jpg

On October 6 ...Egypt and Syria attacked Israel jointly in what was to be called the Yom Kippur war. The result was the Arab Oil Embargo, and the price of gas tripled...

I have only to buy a stock, and the price will plummet, and stay down no matter how long I hold the stock, then begin to rise when I sell.

Am I the only one that absolutely refuses to use photogray lenses?? They are bad for your eyes, just like a calculator is bad for your brain, and just like people who drive everywhere soon can't walk more than a block.

I've wondered all these years about the REAL cause of the oil embargo, and now I know! It was YOU! Thanks a lot, man! I'll think of you now every time I fill up my truck for $85.! ;)

As for stocks... yours aren't the only ones plummeting right now. :mad:

As for photograys... I totally agree. Esp. since they darken even on a cloudy day and for a half hour after you come inside, it looks like you forgot to take your sunglasses off. :confused:

Please pick some Keno Numbers for me so I can pick the next number up on every one. You'll be one off of every number for the jackpot, and I'll be rich.

As a favor, I'll buy your Suburu Parts, and overnight frozen grape concentrate.

@Owly055 You can find those clip on/flip up sunglasses in the fishing section at Walmart. For the coin purse, you might try a hippy store or an import store; the import store in Missoula used to carry them, haven't been in there for a while so not sure if they still do. For the frozen grapefruit concentrate, try a store that carries "Western Family" brand, like IGA or a hippy grocery store.
Regards, GF.

Owly055, I am in Bozeman and I am cautious to invite you over for a beer.

I'd be cautious too ;-) I'm closer to a hermit than a social butterfly....... Why don't I drop you a line next time I'm that way and we can have a beer together at 406 ..... I usually flee the zone between 5 and 6 PM when I'm there, after hitting Costco and Walmart, and Ubrew........... "neutral territory" ;-)

I normally shop Livingston and Bozeman. The Zone is 20 miles closer than Billings...... Billings offers a lot of things (for business) that I can't get in Bozeman, and a far better home brew store since U-Brew has been deterioriating after the numerous changes in management. I no sooner get to know the manager it seems, and they get fired for helping themselves to inventory or some other crime. The last one I got to know was Claire..... I don't know what she got fired for... Prices are a bit better than Billings, but the organization and inventory control is chaotic.

I sometimes dream of someone opening up a nano-brewery or microbrewery with a homebrew store attached, using semi automated brewing techniques as well as having a for hire service (custom brew), and a pico brew you can access on the internet...... Use software to craft your recipe, and pick up the wort later....... pay using PayPal. Club meetings and classes to develop interest, etc.

H.W.

Geez Owly, could you please stop brewing? You are F'n things up for all of us here.... I mean, show some respect A hole.....

My ex wife used to be really into lovemaking, then she ate the wedding cake and got a big "I do " kiss from me. That was the kiss of death for our life together.....oh well, more time for brewing now.

Photo lenses are great. Mine tint off UV. They don't stay dark for 30 minutes indoors.

The problem with photo gray lenses is that they do not require your eyes to adjust to changes in lighting..... They do it for you. As a result, people who wear them all the time loose some of the natural response of the pupil which gets large and smaller to adjust to light levels. Take off the photo gray lenses and you have a much more difficult time with changes in brightness. It's much the same as getting no exercise.... pretty quick you can't walk around the block..........

The problem with photo gray lenses is that they do not require your eyes to adjust to changes in lighting..... They do it for you. As a result, people who wear them all the time loose some of the natural response of the pupil which gets large and smaller to adjust to light levels. Take off the photo gray lenses and you have a much more difficult time with changes in brightness. It's much the same as getting no exercise.... pretty quick you can't walk around the block..........

I haven't noticed.

They, of Them Inc., Des Moines, Iowa, say it's actually good for your eyes to be protected from bright and UV light.

If you stop drinking for just one day, your liver forgets how to process alcohol. That's a true fact. ...and THAT is the kiss of death.

If you stop drinking for just one day, your liver forgets how to process alcohol. That's a true fact. ...and THAT is the kiss of death.

I find it interesting that of all the essential vitamins and nutrients, alcohol is the only one the surgeon general has not published a minimum daily requirement or recommended daily allowance for. As a result there really isn't any sort of guideline or standard. Just like blood sugar, blood alcohol levels should always be kept within an acceptable range. Too much and you get drunk, too little and you get sober, neither of whihc are healthy conditions. ;-)

Back