The Interview

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Payback's a-comin'...

36782b950c2fcf1e46eb32727912bc3a-kim-jong-un-4.gif

I bet the search for "who is Kim Jong Un" is probably a bit higher. ;)

This doesn't affect me, but if a movie studio is caving under the pressure then I do believe it looks pretty bad. I mean, no one seemed to give two ****s when the terrorists in Die Hard were German.

If this is a stunt then shame on Sony for trying to make a perfectly lame movie a headline. I like both actors, but they're just kind of goons, which makes them likable to me.

Ze Germans are the respectable butt of jokes.

I am amazed that people care this much.
Its just another run of the mill cringe comedy flick.
The genre hasn't produced anything new & exciting since the early 2000s.

Even if this isn't about the movie itself and more about the principal, have a gander at book censorship in America for a real shocker of something that is ongoing here, and doesn't even have a foreign power involved.

I'm with you. Everyone knows our own government is still openly spying on us right? Did everyone forget that? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

It's all a cover up. The movie was terrible, and Sony needed a compelling reason not to release it. Go ahead and continue to believe believe the DPRK has anything to do with it, sheeple. It was a false flag operation. #SonyGate

I wish they had that sort of foresight I really do, but just with the thinly veiled reference, there's more strength in letting us believe they have that power than to disprove it.

It's not even the first time a head of state has been portrayed this way on film: Team America, Hot Shots Part Deux, etc. I've heard there was a British film released several years ago that depicted the assassination of George W. Bush (don't know a title), and we didn't threaten terror attacks over it.

Well, what could Saddam do? We annihilated him the first gulf war. We annihilated him so good we didn't even kick him out. We were all "Nah. We're cool, you can have it.".

Where the hell was N Korea when Grey's Anatomy announced another season.

Throwing up with the rest of us.

I hope Kim Turd lets me watch The Hobbit. That's my one movie theater experience each year. Please don't ruin it for me Kim!

My understanding of this is that the decision to drop the interview was not so much the threat to US soil but the threat to japan where Sony is founded. considering that they are already witness to test missiles making it threateningly close to japan borders.

Holy hell, now this:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2014/12/18/paramount-bans-showing-team-america.html

Also:

B5MMdvICEAArTms.jpg:large

I really don't give a **** about the movie. I find it troubling that we are letting DPRK dictate what films we watch now, though.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

This guy starves his own people, commits some of the greatest atrocities we've seen in terms of human rights violations, but singing puppets makes him butt hurt?

Really? This is the pressure we cave to? A man child throwing a a hissy because people don't like him or his Daddy due to, oh I don't know, putting a good percentage of his population in prison camps for no damn reason?

This is BS. The more I think about it the more I hate it and wish there was some form of protest we could make.

Thoughts?

This guy starves his own people, commits some of the greatest atrocities we've seen in terms of human rights violations, but singing puppets makes him butt hurt?

Really? This is the pressure we cave to? A man child throwing a a hissy because people don't like him or his Daddy due to, oh I don't know, putting a good percentage of his population in prison camps for no damn reason?

This is BS. The more I think about it the more I hate it and wish there was some form of protest we could make.

Thoughts?

It doesn't say what happens if the theater plays Team America anyway. I'm guessing some sort of fine, or at worst Paramount stops sending them new releases to screen.

What's the legality of doing free public screenings as a protest?

Thoughts?

Maybe we could hire some good hackers to hack Sony pictures & threaten them if they don't release the film. I'd love to see a B-2 stealth bomber do a night run over North Korea, dropping DVD's of the movie; but they'd have to drop DVD players to play it & electrical generators to provide electricity & fuel to run the generators.

Since there is no DPRK embassy or consulate here in the USA, we'd have to go to another country that has one to protest. Really the only things left for us to do is to post on the internet, write letters to our govt. officials & Sony pictures, sign George Clooney's petition, wear Tshirts that say what we want them to & put bumper stickers on our vehicles. None of which, either in part or whole, provide enough satisfaction for me.

I'd like to see the US cut ALL contact with DPRK, no food, no fuel, no medicine, no negotiation on anything; not even their so-called nuke program. If they launch a missile to "test" it, we launch one that flies right over their part of the penninsula. We hack everything of theirs that we can & plant some nasty viruses, we disrupt what communications they have (that we can) & basically do everything we can to make their lives as difficult as we can without actually going to war. But we all know none of that will ever happen, the US govt. tends to be quite weak & stupid when it comes to dealing with North Korea; at least that's historically how the US has dealt with DPRK since 1953.
Regards, GF.

Thoughts?

I'd say the movie was a protest.

Sony rolled over hard on this one. It's not the American way to fold under such weak pressure from such a sad dictator. Maybe it was the threat to Japan that was the fear. Seems like there's something I'm missing here.

Thoughts?

Have someone pull a copy of the movie from your cold, dead hands?

Might be a funny funny movie. I posted the trailer below. I'm not a fan of Seth Rogen, but I'd watch this. Kinda has a Tropic Thunder scent. Oh, and there's a CIA operative (Agent Lacy!) that isn't too bad to look at.

interview-64550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting how they try to really humanize Jong Un in the movie. The characters bond with him and ultimately don't want to pull the trigger. Obviously I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing when they finally shoot his helicopter (as we can deduce from the leaked death scene) it's probably either accidental or coerced, and it probably comes off in the movie as a huge betrayal and a negative beat for the characters.

I bet if Kim Jong Un had bothered to watch the movie, he would have been more or less pleased with how he was portrayed.

"Anything you can do I can do better..."

News says all of north korea lost internet. Speculation of political rogues. Ha!

Take that bi+(he$... obammy wouldn't say it was us though, so who knows. Would be funny if it was though. Funny how that little troll gets his panties all in a wad about everything. I think he is crazy enough to send a nuke our way if they get too wedged up there.
Sony also said that the movie will be released just not sure when.

Are you aware that starvation is a major issue in North Korea? They're not trying to go to war, they're trying to feed their people. You're saying they should get nuked because this movie was released a bit later? Who cares if some Hollywood garbage everyone is going to forget about instantly is released a few weeks later? Sony lawyers and accountants getting together and deciding how to maximize profits from dumb people is not some kind of forfeiture of freedom.

Are you aware that starvation is a major issue in North Korea? They're not trying to go to war, they're trying to feed their people. You're saying they should get nuked because this movie was released a bit later? Who cares if some crappy movie everyone is going to forget about instantly is released a few weeks later? Do you really feel that's what your freedom lies in?

We are not talking about the people of north korea. Strictly the politician. You know, the one responsible for their starvation while he eats Kobe steak.

Are you aware that starvation is a major issue in North Korea? They're not trying to go to war, they're trying to feed their people. You're saying they should get nuked because this movie was released a bit later? Who cares if some Hollywood garbage everyone is going to forget about instantly is released a few weeks later? Sony lawyers and accountants getting together and deciding how to maximize profits from dumb people is not some kind of forfeiture of freedom.

How is releasing the movie (or not) going to put food on N. Korean tables?

Since when is NK attempting to feed its people? They seem to have plenty of mone for ski resorts, water parks, nuclear programs, missile programs, and the Dennis Rodman traveling basket ball show.

A few minutes after the studio chief's statement, Rogen tweeted: "The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn't give up! The Interview will be shown at theaters willing to play it on Xmas day!"

No Mr.Rogen, I'm afraid that's not the case.

Austin and Atlanta? Guess I'll have to wait for Netflix.

The theater in Texas is the same one that tried to do the protest screening of Team America and got shot down, right?

The Loft cinema in Tucson announced they will have a screening Christmas day. It's a small independent theater.

Apparently there's some talk of streaming on Youtube, though I don't know why Sony would allow that.

Its already available from Sony on youtube, for $5.99... no thanks.

Nice publicity stunt for a movie that otherwise wouldn't have made all that much money Sony, well played.

Its already available from Sony on youtube, for $5.99... no thanks.

Nice publicity stunt for a movie that otherwise wouldn't have made all that much money Sony, well played.

It would make a lot of money. Not from me though :) I'm not a fan of Seth Rogen.

Seth Rogen's last 2 movies grossed 50M and $49M in the first weekend. Both nearly 200M gross.

Sony, if anything, misplayed this. They are a TERRIBLE company now. Their stock has plummeted in the last 10 years. I think this is another one of those failures, and not a success at all.

Back