The Interview

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drainbamage

Keep HBT weird.
Reaction score
Kinda bummed the release got cancelled...it looked like it had the potential to be pretty funny.

You win this one North Korea, but we'll still always have Team America...and like, electricity and plumbing and food and stuff.

Maybe we can still hope for a straight-to-DVD release?

I haven't been in quite a while either. I think it was sometime this year, but I don't even remember what we saw, so I guess it didn't make much of an impression. SWMBO and I were planning on going out to see this though, terror threats or not.

Don't get me started. Wrong forum for my thoughts on that.

Not that I go to movies.

You mean how everyone is far more concerned for their safety than for their freedom? How the whole damn country just rolled over for some computer hacking terrorists?
Yeah, don't get me started.

Not that I go to theaters much either.

It's truly a sad, sad day when we let North Korea hack & threaten our 1st amendment rights. Kim Jong Un is telling us what movies we can & cannot watch, he has successfully dictated policy & circumvented the US constitution.

To Sony Pictures & Carmike Cinemas: You bunch of PU$$IES! I'll show up to the premiere of The Interview wearing a shirt with a target on the chest that says "Up yours North Korea! Come & get me!" I'll sit & watch the movie, eat popcorn & laugh.

I honestly don't know which is worse: North Korea for doing this crap in the 1st place; or the pu$$ies who knuckled under to them.
End rant. Regards, GF.

One perspective I've seen that makes (a little) sense is that after the Aurora shooting, theaters are extremely cautious to avoid a similar incident here, hence the panic.

I would argue that this is a different situation and state-sponsored terrorism is being monitored much more closely than potential lone-wolf incidents, but whatever.

Who the hell other than Kim Junk Un finds Seth Rogan threatening? I dont think they could have found a more non-threatening actor for the movie. DJ Qualls maybe?

Probably publicity, though Sony did get hammered pretty badly with what the hack did to their systems. I kind of do not blame them for knuckling. Besides, what they lose on theater ticket sales, they probably are going to more than make up on the Interview 2: Kim Jong gets a colonoscopy.

Frankly I didn't think the movie looked very good at all. This affects me very close to zero amount.

I think canceling the whole release was uncalled for and would not be surprised if this was a stunt to jack up interest (not the hacking, just the canceling of the release...)

I was really looking forward to it too; Rogen and Franco are (usually) really good together, and anything that ridicules communists already has a few brownie points with me :D

Hopefully, someone gets their hands on a leaked version and starts hosting home theatre screenings in Toronto. The first guy to do that will get my money, since Sony doesn't seem to want it.

I kind of wonder what the Google metrics on searches for leaked copies of the movie are going to look like.

I will bet that searches for "The Interview Movie" and related searches already have increased by quite a bit.

As with Homer, this affects me very little as I haven't been to a theater in years. I do think it sucks that it was pulled, but I find it hilarious that Alamo Draft House here in Dallas is going to show Team America in it's place. 'Murica, bless yeah!

As far as Kim goes, what do expect from a a guy that worships Dennis Rodman? Maybe Dennis can go over and smooth this all out. I can hear it now:
- Obama: Ummm, yeah, Dennis. I kind of need a favor.
- Rodman: Yo, whut up dawg? Whatchoo need a muthafvcka to do, Mr. Prez?

So am I the only one who saw this coming from a mile away?
Not necessarily the hacking, but some sort of proaction or reaction from NK.

I really could care less. I don't go to the theaters or watch many rentals at home.

Frankly I didn't think the movie looked very good at all. This affects me very close to zero amount.

I think canceling the whole release was uncalled for and would not be surprised if this was a stunt to jack up interest (not the hacking, just the canceling of the release...)
I totally agree. It's mostly just a stupid and catchy story.

It's truly a sad, sad day when we let North Korea hack & threaten our 1st amendment rights. Kim Jong Un is telling us what movies we can & cannot watch, he has successfully dictated policy & circumvented the US constitution.
I'll add that in my estimation, film making is a private business and Sony can release or not release whatever they please. That too is the first amendment. There is no public right to a movie about north korea.

People are upset because in their opinion, the movie industry kowtowed to threats of attacks on moviegoers if the movie had been shown. Or in other words, Hollywood abdicated its rightful use of "free speech" in deference to the possible terrorist antics of an obviously-mentally-unstable government leader that could have resulted in injury or death to other innocent people. I believe in "free speech". But even "free" speech has a cost. Would the point to be made have been a fair exchange for human life?

Kinda bummed the release got cancelled...it looked like it had the potential to be pretty funny.

You win this one North Korea, but we'll still always have Team America...and like, electricity and plumbing and food and stuff.

Maybe we can still hope for a straight-to-DVD release?

Yup, we lost.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin.

It's not like not showing it is going to out things on good footing. The world becomes a safer place when we can laugh at ourselves, and one another, without fear of violence.

Till that day...

Even better. rebrand it. First there was KJ Il, now there is KJ Un, just pick a different vowel and change his name, dub it in (badly) over every time they say 'Un'. Do the same for when they say Northern Korea and make it something that sounds mostly like it like maybe Northern Koo-Ree-Hah and then they have no grounds to whine from. The Glorious Leader can be confident that we are not advocating the assasination of such a short character.

I kind of wonder what the Google metrics on searches for leaked copies of the movie are going to look like.

I will bet that searches for "The Interview Movie" and related searches already have increased by quite a bit.

Not a peep on the normal torrent index sites. I thought for sure at least a screening copy would be out there. Nada. Soon though I'm sure.

Not a peep on the normal torrent index sites. I thought for sure at least a screening copy would be out there. Nada. Soon though I'm sure.

And then follow the malware ridden versions and ransomware posing as it.

Then comes the version containing pro-NORK/Anti-US propaganda

Everyone who is saying we have all given up our rights to N. Korea are a little off the mark here...

No one has given up anything - no one had a chance to give anything up.
Essentially a capitalist company (the movie chains) speculated that people would not go to the theater if this movie was playing there, so they decided not to carry the movie. Sony did not want to continue spending marketing dollars on a movie that isn't going to be shown, so they pulled it.

No one's rights got trampled here. This was a sales-based decision resulting from speculation - it was about curtailing retail risk.

I was actually pretty excited to go see this.

And then follow the malware ridden versions and ransomware posing as it.

Then comes the version containing pro-NORK/Anti-US propaganda

Video files aren't executed, so it's highly unlikely that you could have any kind of problem with movies, music, etc. It's technically possible, but I'm not getting into that here.

Everyone who is saying we have all given up our rights to N. Korea are a little off the mark here...

No one has given up anything - no one had a chance to give anything up.
Essentially a capitalist company (the movie chains) speculated that people would not go to the theater if this movie was playing there, so they decided not to carry the movie. Sony did not want to continue spending marketing dollars on a movie that isn't going to be shown, so they pulled it.

No one's rights got trampled here. This was a sales-based decision resulting from speculation - it was about curtailing retail risk.

If I recall correctly, the studio that made the Neighborhood Watch movie delayed it's release signficantly to avoid the Trayvon Martin / George Zimmerman mess. Business decision.

I remember that. Same as the movie Collateral... delayed for a year after 9/11 happened just before it's release.

What some of these comments seem to be missing is that Sony didn't just cancel the theatrical release, they apparently canceled any release of any kind.

From this NYT article:

"A Sony spokesman said the studio “has no further release plans” for the $44 million comedy."

They buckled to an even more significant degree than is being indicated in these comments. They aren't only trying to avoid safety issues (with regards to a theatrical release), they are also trying to prevent further targeting of their company.

And unless Sony executes one hell of a reversal, I seriously doubt this is a publicity stunt.

NK Hacker1: "We should totally hack Sony's website and steal a bunch of their information!"
NK Hacker2: "Yeah, lets get salaries for their top executives and show those capitalist dogs how much their bosses make and they don't!"
NK Hacker1: "Yeah, let's also steal some of those movies they make so people won't go see them in theaters!"
NK Hacker2: "Yeah, let's put them out on the Internet so nobody wants to go see it!"
NK Hacker1: "Yeah, if we release it TO THE ENTIRE WORLD nobody will know how badly our country sucks and how stupid we look to other countries! There, I did it!"
NK Hacker2: "Yeah... Wait, what??"

I would guess Sony pictures is probably doomed anyway. The email and info releases, gave actors/actresses a bunch of negotiating leverage, if they even choose to work for sony anymore. I think they are pissing off segment of the public, by pulling the film as well.

While I probably would not have gone to see it originally, after the fuss NK was making, and the hacking to prevent its release I had given serious consideration to going to see it. Had a little patriotic ferver been whipped up instead of caving into demands a mediocre movie at best, probably could have been a hit in the theaters.

I also fear that this sets a dangerous precedent, Not happy with a corporation, just hack their computer network and blackmail them with their own info and they will give in. Lets face it, we have all sent a work email that we would not like the public to read.

I bet the search for "who is Kim Jong Un" is probably a bit higher. ;)

This doesn't affect me, but if a movie studio is caving under the pressure then I do believe it looks pretty bad. I mean, no one seemed to give two ****s when the terrorists in Die Hard were German.

If this is a stunt then shame on Sony for trying to make a perfectly lame movie a headline. I like both actors, but they're just kind of goons, which makes them likable to me.

I am amazed that people care this much.
Its just another run of the mill cringe comedy flick.
The genre hasn't produced anything new & exciting since the early 2000s.

Even if this isn't about the movie itself and more about the principal, have a gander at book censorship in America for a real shocker of something that is ongoing here, and doesn't even have a foreign power involved.

It's all a cover up. The movie was terrible, and Sony needed a compelling reason not to release it. Go ahead and continue to believe believe the DPRK has anything to do with it, sheeple. It was a false flag operation. #SonyGate

It's all a cover up. The movie was terrible, and Sony needed a compelling reason not to release it. Go ahead and continue to believe believe the DPRK has anything to do with it, sheeple. It was a false flag operation. #SonyGate

And if it isn't, everything considered, who really gives a ratz azz?

Prediction:

The Interview will be released early next year to a box office record despite being an awful movie. This whole kerfuffle will go down in history as the most intricate and successful viral marketing campaign ever.

must-see-imagery-north-korea-fail.jpg

Heh, solid "Spaceballs" reference.

I bet the search for "who is Kim Jong Un" is probably a bit higher. ;)

This doesn't affect me, but if a movie studio is caving under the pressure then I do believe it looks pretty bad. I mean, no one seemed to give two ****s when the terrorists in Die Hard were German.

If this is a stunt then shame on Sony for trying to make a perfectly lame movie a headline. I like both actors, but they're just kind of goons, which makes them likable to me.

It's not even the first time a head of state has been portrayed this way on film: Team America, Hot Shots Part Deux, etc. I've heard there was a British film released several years ago that depicted the assassination of George W. Bush (don't know a title), and we didn't threaten terror attacks over it.

Back