The Hop Trial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJoeBrew

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to home brewing. Probably less than 10 extract batches. I was wanting to use a 5 gallon extract batch to do a hop trial. I have NB Chinook IPA on hand. I would just make the base without any hop additions. I would then divide the 5 gallons to individual 1 gallon jugs and dry hop to really taste the characteristics of each hop variety. All the hops start with C also.

Chinook (since I'll have them in the kit)
Columbus
Centennial
Cascade
Citra

What are your thoughts??

Initial thoughts would be an unbalanced resulting beer. No bittering additons to balance the maltiness.

So you would end up with (5) 1 gallon samples of beer that have 5 different flavors that might not taste the way you really want them to.

I would do the 60 min hop addition only and then dry hop individually.

Just my .02:)

Steep some of each hop in some vodka. Get a can of Bud Light and pour it into several glasses. Pour hop extract into tasteless beer and taste and smell the hop.

We did this at a club meeting. Some of them were so tasty we ended up drunk from the vodka.

Back