The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
winner 6.jpg
winner 7.jpg

winner 8.jpg

Not a pizza but a big sports fan (above)

I forgot that I had collected eight of the small square pans.
winner 9.jpg

winner 10.jpg

I posted these and more on the HBF sister site. I was saying it's a tough call as to whether I should put the sauce on before or after the pizza goes in the oven.
Very happy with how the crust came out.
A cheat I thought of yesterday was to put the burner on medium while I was dressing the pizza to give it a jump start, brown in conjunction with the top. Worked out well.
Running the cheeses through the grinder makes the cheese more flavorful than with simply grating it in my opinion.
winner 13.jpg
winner 14.jpg
winner 15.jpg

Running the cheeses through the grinder makes the cheese more flavorful than with simply grating it in my opinion.

I've seen a lot of discussion on the pizza forum on cubing cheese and that it improves the melt and ultimate flavor but I have not tried it. Grinding it through a large plate makes a lot of sense and I will give that a try. Good idea!

crust two (1).jpg
uncooked ham art and mush.jpg

Canadian bacon, artichoke and mushroom.
1636475167847.jpeg

1636475202051.jpeg

Weird Margherita because it has pizza sauce.

I mentioned somewhere that I changed the ratio from 3:2 to 4:1 (brick: Monterey Jack).
I was using Lipari brick and then I switched to Old Thyme brick, due to availability, and I think they're significantly different. Also, the Jack cheeses are different because of availability too.
If I were trying to sell pizza, I would start keeping track.

View attachment 748415View attachment 748414
Canadian bacon, artichoke and mushroom.
View attachment 748416
View attachment 748417
Weird Margherita because it has pizza sauce.

I mentioned somewhere that I changed the ratio from 3:2 to 4:1 (brick: Monterey Jack).
I was using Lipari brick and then I switched to Old Thyme brick, due to availability, and I think they're significantly different. Also, the Jack cheeses are different because of availability too.
If I were trying to sell pizza, I would start keeping track.
Those look awesome! I have a hard time finding any brick down here in North Texas. I found some at Whole Foods last year but don't remember the brand. It was very pricey there, but was tasty.

I've started playing around with different dough recipes in an effort to minimize how much work is involved. This recipe only requires 10 minutes of kneading in a stand mixer, 2 hours of fermentation at room temp and then proofing in the fridge for a minimum of two hours.

There isn't any stretch and folding during the fermentation process which means you can get up a little early before work, start the dough and then put it in the fridge before you leave. For these pizzas, I left the dough in the fridge for 8 hours but it can sit for a couple days.

The dough (for two 12" pizzas)

* 300g All Purpose flour
* 245g filtered water @ 90’F
* 15g blue cornmeal (or yellow if you don't have blue cornmeal)
* 8g sea salt
* 3.5g bakers yeast

The pizzas:

* Pizza 1: Pepperoni, mushrooms, bell peppers, green chile, mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce
* Pizza 2: BBQ chicken, red onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, guajillo peppers (home grown), mozzarella cheese and half pizza sauce/half BBQ sauce

Full recipe with step-by-step instructions, full ingredient list and more pics here: “No Fuss” Blue Corn Pizza Dough

More pics:

Pizzas from above
etJMWOW.jpg

BBQ pizza closeup
sHVM2Xs.jpg

Green Chile / pepperoni closeup
r5s48rD.jpg

Pepperoni / Green chile
2EyFoE2.jpg

BBQ pizza
Nzzohb8.jpg

Pepperoni / Green chile pre-bake
GllWW7H.jpg

BBQ pizza pre-bake
2AGY76a.jpg

That works. I confess to doing that more than I should but it’s fast and easy and pretty tasty. Your’s looks good!
Thanks. This one was a local pizzeria that makes a great quality pizza and they're making a foray into grocery stores so it would have been fine even if I didn't posh it up. I'm a HUGE fan of extra cheese and extra sauce.
Same grocer sells ready-to-go pizza dough that you can roll out and do whatever. It's hard not to partake once in a while. What's not to like? My dough is better but not by a lot.

Somehow after being around here I just stumbled upon this thread! Next to bbq, homemade pizza is one of my favorites. I generally do a cast iron style or thin bar pizza style right now but my goal is to get a baking steel for more NY style pies.
2020095D-4447-45F6-8B43-9299244127B2.jpeg
0B24190E-D382-4F5A-99EE-87F4E1406521.jpeg
B58623FF-F7D8-4CEB-A894-BD722F161D9C.jpeg
4A7F93E1-D74D-403F-94E8-63E385A26DEF.jpeg

I finally pegged what I have been after for thin, cracker style crust pizzas last night. Did two pizzas in my 14" cutter pan on a preheated steel at max oven temp. Each cooked about 10 minutes. Both had mozzarella, some medium cheddar, Provolone, Pecorino Romano, and Parmigiana Reggiano. Mine had pepperoni and Calabrian Chilies.
IMG_7609.jpg
IMG_7610.jpg
IMG_7613.jpg

We got a Woodman's grocery store near us a while back, and being a Wisconsin-based chain they have a huge selection of cheese.. Is there a particular brand that makes really good pizza?

Last edited:
Night before last. Cheese is low moisture mozz, a really nice provolone, medium cheddar, and freshly grated parm both before and after the bake on both pies. Meat pie is sliced grilled Italian Sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms sauteed with garlic and herbs, little Italian green olives, and Calabrian chilies (love those things). Crust is the thin crispy recipe and process I have been working on that only proofed for about 3.5 hours before I rolled it out and draped on a 14" cutter pan. I'm really loving this recipe, and more importantly, wife and grandson love it too :) Oh, and baked in the electric oven at 550 degrees F in the cutter pan directly on a preheated steel. Actual oven temp is only about 500.
IMG_7675.jpg
66554284096__8EFCA7BF-3EC6-45CF-83FD-9F4C792DCA11.jpg
66554316100__D50B2CCE-EB1D-4B6D-902E-42DAEB630C4A.jpg

Not a bad break in on the Ooni this evening. I need some practice stretching the dough, but overall I’m quite satisfied.

97D9C25C-D58A-4057-BBE9-D77924D280CE.jpeg

Not a bad break in on the Ooni this evening. I need some practice stretching the dough, but overall I’m quite satisfied.

View attachment 758583
Hi , what flour are you using? AP?Bread?I couldn’t stretch either until I purchased 00 flour.I use King Aurther 00 pizza flour,!It has the gluten that makes dough stretchy.

Those look pretty solid, especially from the start.
I'm glad I don't have to learn how to launch a pizza as it seems that it requires practice and skill. I do deep dish and NY rounds, both easily controllable.

@Martys1 I actually used Caputo 00. The issue I ran in to was that I let the dough proof too long at room temp and the balls sort of rose in to each other and that let them get out of round.

Those look pretty solid, especially from the start.
I'm glad I don't have to learn how to launch a pizza as it seems that it requires practice and skill. I do deep dish and NY rounds, both easily controllable.

it’s actually not too bad. You just gotta verify the pizza is still loose on the peel before launching. A little corn meal on the peel keeps it nice and slick.

it’s actually not too bad. You just gotta verify the pizza is still loose on the peel before launching. A little corn meal on the peel keeps it nice and slick.
That is really good to know. Not being a seasoned launcher, I would love a great deal of practice before serving pizza to guests.
I've thought about getting a peel just for when the pizza needs a little more heat from the oven base and so I can slide it off the screen easily with the peel. I should get one instead of improvising with two big spatulas that are more suited for burgers.
I like this nifty device for squares:
1644190107630.png

It's not fool-proof though, I found, as I have dropped a fully-cooked, large square on the way to the kitchen from the outdoor BBQ. My grip loosened a titch and SPLAT on the driveway.

Back