The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm determined to figure mine out. I think a thicker stone (or steel). Favor the front with the stone and teh coals to the back. And maybe don't light the whole chimney!
Thinker stone and coals on the back, for sure. I found that throwing in the occasional handful of wood chips fires it up nicely, without overheating the stone, which cooks the pizza nice and quick, as if in a wood burning oven. But these are just cheap fixes for a cheap product...

PXL_20210603_000128470.jpg

It's a no brainer boys. The napoli (mine, now bertello since Kevin from shark tank bought in), and kodas are sweet. The new koda is sweet but mine I use wood. I heat with propane then nail with wood chunks, while subtle the wood is amazingly superior. Always wanted a roccbox, they are down in price, but am cool with mine. The cast iron burgers in it are silly good to. I have surely commented about these pretty voraciously over the years along with pics. But I made some a few weeks ago.
20210410_192758.jpg
20210410_194409.jpg
20210410_192749.jpg

Last edited:
Did I kill this thread after last time posting?
went a different route today - crushed tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil. Straight Margherita. Plus plain cheese for the kiddo.
Ha, I’d forgotten all about this thread. I made a couple pizza crusts today, my wife and I make pizzas to use up leftovers. Tonight was bratwurst, sweet corn, zucchini, and onion with an amazing honey mustard sauce. Pretty damned good but I didn’t take a decent picture.

Although it is in the background of my ‘What are you drinking now’ post.
CFD87DE6-B48D-4409-8D63-7892E9F4BAF3.jpeg

You need to be more careful with your wishes when you find a leprechaun. ;)
Although it is in the background of my ‘What are you drinking now’ post.

i'm not the only one that knows what's important! ;) :mug:

edit: i ordered a used fancy looking camera for $30 6MP, says it's a stedy shot camera...if it take a decent pic, i'll post one of my lentil pizza with whatever, probably spinach on top.... 🤞 :bigmug:

Did I kill this thread after last time posting?
went a different route today - crushed tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil. Straight Margherita. Plus plain cheese for the kiddo.

This thread occasionally goes dormant for a few weeks or even a couple of months.

Nothing remarkable about this. A few dollops of the wife's homemade pesto. I didn't use my usual cheese, and didn't get good browning. This one must've had some gouda or something in it. Japan isn't exactly a cheese-lover's paradise.

The big deal for me is that this was my first attempt using slurry yeast for baking. This was made with 1 tablespoon of compacted S-33 slurry from a cider.

IMG00602_HDR.jpg

Nothing remarkable about this. A few dollops of the wife's homemade pesto. I didn't use my usual cheese, and didn't get good browning. This one must've had some gouda or something in it. Japan isn't exactly a cheese-lover's paradise.

The big deal for me is that this was my first attempt using slurry yeast for baking. This was made with 1 tablespoon of compacted S-33 slurry from a cider.
INteresting. How did that turn out?
I;ve mostly been using sourdough starter I've had a few years, and I think it's a much older line - someone gave it to us, but we don't have the details anymore.
But it generally turns out very tasty.

I have a Bertello oven and pretty new to these Neopolitan pizzas. Everyone loves them but after proofing my dough balls they seem to flatten out instead of rise.

Any help appreciated.

I’m using Vito’s single fermentation recipe. I mostly use all-purpose flour. Tried 00 once and everyone thought the AP was better.

I have a Bertello oven and pretty new to these Neopolitan pizzas. Everyone loves them but after proofing my dough balls they seem to flatten out instead of rise.

Any help appreciated.

I’m using Vito’s single fermentation recipe. I mostly use all-purpose flour. Tried 00 once and everyone thought the AP was better.
How are you handling the dough? I have found that to be a key factor in next level pizza. Oven temp? On top and on the stone?

Attachments

• 415E75B8-E7DB-4C97-83A1-E3F3FCCB9005.jpeg
    415E75B8-E7DB-4C97-83A1-E3F3FCCB9005.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
I had to change his recipe a little and of course added seasonings like Fennel, Italian blend, etc... I was toasting my fennel but think it pulls to much of the fennel flavor away from it. I'm not using salt or honey for the poolish ferment. I am using Molasses and lots of it. :)

Back