The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can get dried morels here, does that count?

How to hydrate???

White wine or water. Did water last night for ones I picked and dried myself
IMG_6425.JPG

IMG_6426.JPG

IMG_6427.JPG

IMG_6428.JPG

And the wife’s pie
IMG_6430.JPG

our regular pizza stone broke last week (it's served well for 6years or so, so I'm not too broken up about it.) I was looking on lone and found a sale on The Baking Steel (https://www.bakingsteel.com)
Used it this week for our weekly pie. For not dialing things in, it came out great. It's a bit bigger than the old stone, so I didn't have to worry about droop over the edge. Crust came out nice and crispy. I think I'll let it preheat a bit longer next time to get it hotter, get a little more color on the bottom, but overall I'm really liking it. Not cheap, but a quarter inch of metal ain't gonna break. It'll last as long as we want it to.

our regular pizza stone broke last week (it's served well for 6years or so, so I'm not too broken up about it.) I was looking on lone and found a sale on The Baking Steel (https://www.bakingsteel.com)
Used it this week for our weekly pie. For not dialing things in, it came out great. It's a bit bigger than the old stone, so I didn't have to worry about droop over the edge. Crust came out nice and crispy. I think I'll let it preheat a bit longer next time to get it hotter, get a little more color on the bottom, but overall I'm really liking it. Not cheap, but a quarter inch of metal ain't gonna break. It'll last as long as we want it to.
Which one did you get?

Love the wood fire. Pics of the oven welcome. Five and seven yo made these. They were pumped to have and eat their own pizzas. I helped with the final roll. And spread cheese from bigger piles but realized there was a beauty in what they were doing that I was just messing up. I try to stay out of their art as much as I can.
20190520_175635.jpeg
20190520_180417.jpeg

I add gypsum or calcium chloride (depending on what is closest to hand :) ) to my water as it's very soft out of the tap. like adding table salt, it firms up the dough a bit and makes it easier to handle (less tacky). I think that's the main thing you should do if your water is soft or RO etc. Basically you want at least a moderately hard water. The dough doctor has posted about this on pizzamaking.com, I think he's said it can be a good idea to add between 0.2 to 0.5 % of the weight of flour as gypsum.

Not quite got round to trying different cities profiles though! I know the VPN recommend moderately hard water with 60 -80 mg/L as calcium, which I assume is what is around naples

I add gypsum or calcium chloride (depending on what is closest to hand :) ) to my water as it's very soft out of the tap. like adding table salt, it firms up the dough a bit and makes it easier to handle (less tacky). I think that's the main thing you should do if your water is soft or RO etc. Basically you want at least a moderately hard water. The dough doctor has posted about this on pizzamaking.com, I think he's said it can be a good idea to add between 0.2 to 0.5 % of the weight of flour as gypsum.

Not quite got round to trying different cities profiles though! I know the VPN recommend moderately hard water with 60 -80 mg/L as calcium, which I assume is what is around naples
Hmm water treatment on pizza dough....

Yes! [emoji122]

Must try. Must fiddle with that as another technical tinkering obsession.

My wife likes how I have idle time to cook and drink beer.

FWIW - I have work apartment. This is perfectly acceptable tangent.

But must be smoked on the Traeger.

I like the similarities between making a good pizza dough and brewing beer. But there's also a lot of divergence.

One thing I have not done yet is try a bunch of different dried yeasts for pizza to see if the different characteristics make it through the bake- so standard bakers IDY, S04, belle saison and another would be a good idea

Tried searching this thread but with no luck. Has anyone tried adjusting their water profile to match NY water/any city for pizza dough. I use Denver tap but I’m curious if this could make a difference.View attachment 628075View attachment 628076

My friend owns a pizza shop here in Pa. She visited her daughter in Brooklyn and brought home about ten gallons of N.Y.C. water to experiment with. It didn't make a lick of difference!

From what I found NY water is pretty soft and very low in minerals. I live in Denver, so I diluted my tap with 80% distilled and 20% tap. My wife agreed this was one of the best doughs we’ve made. It was nice and pillowy with good air pockets and the flavor was close to some of the restaurants here but still not perfect. I do believe other factors could play a role. Proofing and yeast might be even more important. Ours was proofing for 30 hrs and reshaped to sit out 2 hrs before going into the oven at 550f on a stone. I spilt our recipe into two doughs usually for just two of us. but we think this might be better into 3rds, so the dough can be thinner and to get that fold my wife is desiring. We only have used the fleischmann bread machine yeast and have not seen any other options.

IMG_5562.JPG
IMG_5564.JPG
IMG_5563.JPG

Electric griddle pizza. So I have been wondering because I think I can pull this off in a hotel room even. I used evoo and spread dough and toasted bottom. Flipped and sauced. Glorious crust and left cheese gooey. Reminded me of campfire/camping/griddle/grill pizza. Also made one in oven.
Screenshot_20190612-193649_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20190612-193638_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20190612-193631_Gallery.jpeg
20190612_185944.jpeg

Quattro formaggi (buffalo mozzarella, aged gouda, goats milk cheese and pecorino romano, chives and some garlic)
Rosa (goats cheese, buffalo mozz, onions, chopped pistachios and rosemary added post bake with lots of olive oil)
Margherita
couple of other ones with various toppings

RvWg2Pm.jpg

Avb8ug6.jpg

ldlzWXL.jpg

5rFiory.jpg

That crust on top looks super good inkleg. It's almost like I can hear the crunch looking at that pic. Warning, it will be hard to go back to domino's after that.

Made a couple pizzas last night with some blue cornmeal thrown into the dough. Full recipe and more pics here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/06/17/blue-corn-pizza-dough/

Dough rolled out
0Kz7EZd.jpg

Pre baked / post baked: sun dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, pepperoni and bell pepper
hLKKSO3.jpg

FcpywzD.jpg

Pre baked / post baked: bbq chicken, red onion, bell pepper
nepUoCg.jpg

UPxOxoK.jpg

Back