The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMAG3259.jpg
IMAG3262.jpg
IMAG3263.jpg
mushroom, arugala, shallot, gorgonzola.

Pizza, had to shape a couple long and oval because out of parchment. Bigger circle pizza, cheddar and mozzarella. Cooked at 550, no convection, steel the whole time. 550 pushed the parchment to the limit, but no smoke at least for quick pizza cook, longer probably not oven safe at those temps. Will try to finish on steel next time.
20180219_115652.jpg
20180219_113934.jpg
20180219_113919.jpg

Pizza, had to shape a couple long and oval because out of parchment. Bigger circle pizza, cheddar and mozzarella. Cooked at 550, no convection, steel the whole time. 550 pushed the parchment to the limit, but no smoke at least for quick pizza cook, longer probably not oven safe at those temps. Will try to finish on steel next time.View attachment 558987View attachment 558988View attachment 558989

What I do is place the pizza on parchment on the baking stone in the oven and after about 4 minutes or so, lift the edge of the pizza with my peel and slide out the parchment and let the pizza finish right on the stone.

Having some issues with grease/oil lately. Can anyone recommend a particular cheese and pepperoni that helps with this?

I hear you. I love nothing more than a pizza where each pepperoni is a little cup of extra sauce.

I have a hard time finding cheese and pepp that do that though. All too damn lean.

I hear you. I love nothing more than a pizza where each pepperoni is a little cup of extra sauce.

I have a hard time finding cheese and pepp that do that though. All too damn lean.
Uhh I think we're on the opposite sides of this one. I'm having issues with too much grease/oil.

I love me some moist pizza.

I don't think cheese is usually the grease source. Cheap pepp though always does it because the fat content is so high. What are you using?

I'll have to check, but I think it was from trader joes. I hear boars head is solid though, so I'll likely be trying that out unless it's super expensive.

Boars Head makes several different ones... at least a stick, pre-sliced, and 'sandwich' style from the deli.

I find the stick one to be the preferred overall, but too spicy and a pain to cut. The pre-sliced is too oily and flavorless. The deli style is the best tasting but comes in like a 3" diameter. I'd recommend trying them all though.

Turky pepperoni? My wife will sometimes buy lean pepperoni, and I think its turkey. You could also cut up turkey lunch meat or any other lean meat and use it as a topping. My mozzarella only pizzas with Kraft cheese are not too greasy. The pepperoni and cheddar are. My step-mom would soak up all the grease on her pizza with a paper towel, actually she would use multiple towels.

I really like the smoked pepperoni sticks from Vermont Smoke and Cure. It's not cheap, especially when you factor in shipping, but I still get it now and then. I used to get it buy the case when I had my pizza trailer. Mostly what I use now is Margherita brand stick. That's what's on the last pics I posted a week or so ago. It's pretty good and I can get it anytime at the store. I don't really like anything pre-sliced. Too thin and won't cup well.

Cheddar is definitely a lot more greasy than mozz . I don;t particularly like it as a pizza cheese as it is so greasy even though I love it with other foods. much prefer scamorza, jarlsberg or taleggio if I'm mixing up the cheese.

Also I've found most italian salamis are less greasy than american pepperoni

I've been getting lazy with my pizza the past few years, I settled on a good sour dough recipe and have since just been tweaking bulk rise and fridge fermenting so i can make a few dough balls and leave them in the fridge for a couple weeks without having them overferment..... but getting back into it again after looking at all the new mobile wood oven designs and pizza ovens in general.

This dough probably needed needed a good 12+ hours of bulk rise but i just gave it an hour and balled it and put them in the fridge.
About a week in the fridge and 24hrs at room temp before making this one.
Been awhile since i maxed out my stone with a 16" pie so i used the screen.
about 3 minutes on screen before carefully getting my aluminum peel and separating the 2 while rotating the pie and pulling out the screen with tongs. The bottom was pretty light with speckled browning, i probably should have waited till after taking it off the screen before adding the cheese as i would of like a little more bottom color but cheese was done at total 4-5 minute bake time.
I've also been cubing my cheese instead of shredding to increase the melt time, maybe some bigger cubes are in order as well.

g32C5BX.jpg

first pizzas for a while, weather was of course atrocious even by our standards.

Dough
100% molina grassi 00
62% water
3% salt
0.22% IDY

made thursday evening, so 44h CF, 4h RT

topping were standards tbf. I have just bought a couple of oregano plants so made a marinara for the first time, was really tasty.

Notice no pictures of complete pizzas as my shaping was almost as bad as the weather :( Oven wasn't quite as hot as I wanted but it was dark, pouring with rain, about 5C and very windy in my defense

pepperoni side on
vAz4cmF.jpg

pepperoni from top
N85pQAv.jpg

pepperoni base
goYCHRd.jpg

marinara
gFNDaEo.jpg

Last edited:
Pizza yesterday. Pushed too hard with each roller pass and made weird shapes. The cheddar one, not pictured, i cooked sauce and crust a little before adding cheese. Really liked the results. This dough is coming out of the fridge cold and difficult to work with. But when the kids are hungry I get to it.
20180310_122208.jpg
20180310_122605.jpg
20180310_122218.jpg
20180310_122203.jpg

So brewbama, have you ever had a Giordano's stuffed pizza in Chicago? We lived west of Chicago for about a year. What I remember from having one of those is that the crust is slightly more pastry like than bread like as a traditional pizza crust is. Your deep dish looks great. How would you describe the crust?

So brewbama, have you ever had a Giordano's stuffed pizza in Chicago? We lived west of Chicago for about a year. What I remember from having one of those is that the crust is slightly more pastry like than bread like as a traditional pizza crust is. Your deep dish looks great. How would you describe the crust?
Fyi, the Pillsbury square pizza crust in a can gets really close to Giordano's
I watched them make pies when I went to one
They use a very low hydration and run the dough through sheeters 4-5 times.

I’ve not had Giordano’s. I’d say my crust came out more bread -like.

Nice work revkev.

Here i present my 4 yo daughters first pie. She rolled it out, sauced and topped. I added cheddar mid bake, thanks jwin for the knowledge. And my za, ill let you guess whose is whose. Srsly, cmon man :) i actually got a round pie and then sliced it before taking a pic. It was a little thick. I handtossed it cold. Thats why I usually roll it.
20180316_175424.jpg
20180316_175433.jpg
20180316_180936.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back