The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a KA mixer for Xmas and finally used it for pizza dough. Made a quadruple batch with it. The gluten development was great. Would have cramped up hand mixer to get the equivalent.
IMAG3205.jpg
IMAG3207.jpg
IMAG3210.jpg
IMAG3211.jpg
my wife is the BEST!

We made a couple of pies the other day. The crust was decent. Bready, but just a bit salty. I'd probably cut the salt in half next time and maybe add a ring of cheese around the outside.

We tried a small jar of "white pizza sauce" from the store. I didn't care for it. Plain alfredo sauce is better IMO.

I'm still struggling with how to spread the dough out. It's stretchy and keeps springing back! I need to find a trick.

<snip> ...I'm still struggling with how to spread the dough out. It's stretchy and keeps springing back! I need to find a trick.

In my experience, if the dough is too "springy" you're handling it too much, not giving it enough rest time, or a combination of both. My dough balls sit at room temp. for a couple of hours before I'm baking them and when I shape the pies, I try to handle them as little as possible.

Also, I think a higher hydration percentage helped me.

A long rest in the fridge helps to relax the dough. When I take it out I make a 6” round and let it rise/warm for another hour. By then it’s relaxed enough to go all the way.

...or oil. It's an easy way to make a change through recipe formulation. A half a percent increase should give a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Pizza! The kids made these, and I don't know why I cut them then pictures. They were really thin crust and really good. I finished them on the steel without the parchment. I used a little more cheese and I think that's why I haven't enjoyed the pizza as much. I think they needed more. My four-year-old did a very good job spreading the sauce on her Pizza. I really like the mini pepperonis
20180122_181759.jpg
20180122_180608.jpg
20180122_175212.jpg
20180122_175218.jpg
20180122_180524.jpg
20180122_182129.jpg
20180122_181736.jpg

Went deep with sourdough in a 14 inch cast iron tonight. 6 day old dough. Cold proof followed by a 4 hours warm rise in 110° oven. Parbaked with sauce on it for 5 minutes at 550.
Topped, dropped to 425.
Cooked underneath a stone for ~12 minutes until top was browned well, covered and turn off the oven and let rest for another 15 or so.
Three toppings, can you guess what they are?
Quarter placed for scale.
IMG_20180128_194631917.jpg
IMG_20180128_194653686.jpg
IMG_20180128_194743333.jpg
IMG_20180128_200624633.jpg

Glad i stumbled on this thread. I've been making pizza for about 8 years now.
Been using the same san francisco sour dough starter though out most of my experiments with different stones and ovens.
I dug up some pics of the past pies and equipment as i don't take pictures of them much anymore.

urPGMUt.jpg

51nhMXm.jpg

CuLuuFi.jpg

s0bGel0.jpg

lsCRBFY.jpg

etjbuyM.jpg

FJM7NT7.jpg

2FwIj9m.jpg

Nice pies! Soapstone?

Yes thanks, my favorite one. It's heavy but better in everyway than the others i've used 16x16x1.
I like that oven in your avatar, i had to settle for the mini weber wood pellet fired grill insert you see there.

Ok, @applescrap your username has been bugging me. Is it "apple scrap" like maybe the cores and the skins, or is it "apples crap", like what you'd say if you really didn't feel like having a bunch of apples and someone brings home a bushel or so. Or is it something completely different?

Its like "Pets Mart"/"Pet Smart", I can't figure it out and it bugs me.

Ok, @applescrap your username has been bugging me. Is it "apple scrap" like maybe the cores and the skins, or is it "apples crap", like what you'd say if you really didn't feel like having a bunch of apples and someone brings home a bushel or so. Or is it something completely different?

Its like "Pets Mart"/"Pet Smart", I can't figure it out and it bugs me.
Asking the questions we all want to know!

You're not the first. My cousin was the first to point that out. I figure you and him have similar senses of humor as do others who point it out. My degree is in jazz guitar, it would be apple scrap, a derivation of the charlie parker tune scrapple from the apple. I think apple scrap is slang for sausage not in a tube.

Pizza! The finish on the steel method has been grape. I have an answer for when parchment smokes. I put a really small bread loaf in at 500 and after I think it was 28 minutes it started to smoke according to my wife. Might have been before but it wasnt when i got to it. This dough had been sitting for a week in fridge. It was really good! Silver palate pasta sauce and salchicha with mozzarella and cheddar. I thought I over-cooked one but man did I like it. I almost like both a little softer and chewy and a little more crunchy. I took the dough right out of the fridge rolled it out hard and made it. Based on how light and Airy it was it makes me think that the longer the dough sits in the fridge the more that quality becomes prevalent.
20180208_182514.jpg
20180208_185046.jpg
20180208_184200.jpg
20180208_184931.jpg
20180208_184110.jpg
20180208_182514.jpg
20180208_182505.jpg

My degree is in jazz guitar, it would be apple scrap, a derivation of the charlie parker tune scrapple from the apple. I think apple scrap is slang for sausage not in a tube.

Finally! I keep seeing you around and I mean to ask you about it, but usually we're trying to answer someone's question about their mash temperatures being too low so they're afraid it wont be hoppy or something.

Now I just need to figure out the "Pets Mart"/"Pet Smart" thing.

Pizza! The finish on the steel method has been grape. I have an answer for when parchment smokes. I put a really small bread loaf in at 500 and after I think it was 28 minutes it started to smoke according to my wife. Might have been before but it wasnt when i got to it. This dough had been sitting for a week in fridge. It was really good! Silver palate pasta sauce and salchicha with mozzarella and cheddar. I thought I over-cooked one but man did I like it. I almost like both a little softer and chewy and a little more crunchy. I took the dough right out of the fridge rolled it out hard and made it. Based on how light and Airy it was it makes me think that the longer the dough sits in the fridge the more that quality becomes prevalent.View attachment 557253View attachment 557254View attachment 557255View attachment 557256View attachment 557257View attachment 557258View attachment 557259
Looking good. FYI, cheddar has a much lower time tolerance to browning than most white cheeses. If you apply it first, or mix in well with the other cheese(if it is the minority) it will allow you more bake time before the top over browns.

Man, I can't wait until I get around to getting a steel...

On another topic, does anyone have/know of an electric range that will go over 550°? Have a remodel down the road and want to get the best oven I can.
May just have to spring for a nemco or something
I'm considering hacking my lock and just using the self clean for the time being, but need a thick steel first.

I'm curious about the soapstone. Where did you get it?

It's been a few years, i would have to do some digging as i really have no idea who i got it from.
You should be able to get it from any countertop place that cuts.
Locally i tried but the owner of the business told me i was crazy and it would be an oven bomb... one of those 'can't teach me anything and everything on the internet is a lie' guys...

To me even tho its 2x thicker than other stones it seems to heat up faster, gets hotter (it seems go over set oven temp the longer it stays in there) and there is little if any recovery time if you wanted to crank out pies 1 after another.
I think i paid about $80-120 with shipping for it and was well worth it.

On another topic, does anyone have/know of an electric range that will go over 550°? Have a remodel down the road and want to get the best oven I can.
May just have to spring for a nemco or something
I'm considering hacking my lock and just using the self clean for the time being, but need a thick steel first.

I had some issues getting exactly what i wanted, some ovens only do 500.
550 works for me with the soapstone and style of pizza i make.
I can push it higher by leaving it in longer or turning the broiler on but around 500 is enough stone temp to brown bottom in 4 minutes.
I've also done the high temp clean cycle but not something i would make a habit of .

Last edited:
It's been a few years, i would have to do some digging as i really have no idea who i got it from.
You should be able to get it from any countertop place that cuts.
Locally i tried but the owner of the business told me i was crazy and it would be an oven bomb... one of those 'can't teach me anything and everything on the internet is a lie' guys...

To me even tho its 2x thicker than other stones it seems to heat up faster, gets hotter (it seems go over set oven temp the longer it stays in there) and there is little if any recovery time if you wanted to crank out pies 1 after another.
I think i paid about $80-120 with shipping for it and was well worth it.

Funny about the myth that business owner buys into. Soapstone is considered a refractory material. Slabs of soapstone were commonly used as personal heating devices back in the days before central heating. My parents told stories of putting soapstones in the oven, then taking out, wrapping with a cloth and used to pre-warm the bed before getting in.

I'll look around. I saw some 12x12x1" slabs for around $70 on Amazon. Do you preheat the stone before setting the pizza on it? I like the idea of having that big thermal mass for baking more than one pizza in a row.

Funny about the myth that business owner buys into. Soapstone is considered a refractory material. Slabs of soapstone were commonly used as personal heating devices back in the days before central heating. My parents told stories of putting soapstones in the oven, then taking out, wrapping with a cloth and used to pre-warm the bed before getting in.

I'll look around. I saw some 12x12x1" slabs for around $70 on Amazon. Do you preheat the stone before setting the pizza on it? I like the idea of having that big thermal mass for baking more than one pizza in a row.
This is the soap stone wood burning stove we use to help heat the house the slabs are 2 inches thick on the sides, the top is about 1 inch thick, and this really puts out some heat.

Attachments

• Soap Stone.jpg
    Soap Stone.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86

He was not interested in any history lessons :)
I'd hold out and find and buy the biggest square stone you can fit in the oven
With any stone they must be preheated, takes about 45-60 minutes.
There is always pizza disks,screens, parchment paper or parbaking to ease you into putting pizza on a hot stone.
After cooking i leave the oven open in the winter, it does take a long time to cool down especially if the oven door was left closed.

He was not interested in any history lessons :)
I'd hold out and find and buy the biggest square stone you can fit in the oven
With any stone they must be preheated, takes about 45-60 minutes.
There is always pizza disks,screens, parchment paper or parbaking to ease you into putting pizza on a hot stone.
After cooking i leave the oven open in the winter, it does take a long time to cool down especially if the oven door was left closed.

Good tips, thank you.

I had a ceramic stone once, about 12" dia. and 3/8" thick. Pampered Chef, IIRC. Wasn't impressed with it--crust never got crisp. I like the soapstone idea, much greater thermal mass and more even heating. I've seen the steels too, some 1/2" thick--another possibility.

Edit: Just noticed today is National Pizza Day.

Good tips, thank you.

I had a ceramic stone once, about 12" dia. and 3/8" thick. Pampered Chef, IIRC. Wasn't impressed with it--crust never got crisp. I like the soapstone idea, much greater thermal mass and more even heating. I've seen the steels too, some 1/2" thick--another possibility.

Edit: Just noticed today is National Pizza Day.

It's been awhile but i think ceramic was #2 best choice, were you preheating it to 550?
Never used steel, it works but i don't think the heat transfer is ideal. Maybe it works good for some styles.
Of course type of flour and dough recipe come into play. There's lots of tweaking that can be done

It's been awhile but i think ceramic was #2 best choice, were you preheating it to 550?
Never used steel, it works but i don't think the heat transfer is ideal. Maybe it works good for some styles.
Of course type of flour and dough recipe come into play. There's lots of tweaking that can be done

Been many years since we had the ceramic, so not sure the temp. Probably more like 450. And preheated. Actually used to do rather well baking 'za in a heavy cast iron skillet.

Been many years since we had the ceramic, so not sure the temp. Probably more like 450. And preheated. Actually used to do rather well baking 'za in a heavy cast iron skillet.

Actually i think i did try cast iron skillet, was just not suited to what i was after. NY style pizza.
I got a lot of help and info on the forums at pizzamaking.com they also have a dough calculator.
Haven't been on there in years but there was a lot of friendly pizza science nerds there too:)

Actually i think i did try cast iron skillet, was just not suited to what i was after. NY style pizza.
I got a lot of help and info on the forums at pizzamaking.com they also have a dough calculator.
Haven't been on there in years but there was a lot of friendly pizza science nerds there too:)

The skillet yielded something more like Detroit-style for me. I'll check out that pizza-making forum.

Haha, yeah please dont, but what a great thing if it could work. Pizza, nbd at this point. Grab a few balls from the bucket, roll it, top, and toss in. Mozzarella and cherry hickory smoked ham with brown sugar pumpkin pie spice mustard rub. Have been making doughs a little wetter and they have been very nice. I don't know what is making the pizza taste so much better lately but I think it's just having the dough in fridge for a few days.
20180213_182244-1.jpg
20180213_181754.jpg
20180213_180843.jpg

IMAG3242.jpg
hotwatermusic's guide to showing off ugly pizzas.
Step 1) make pizza that absolutely refuses to launch.
Step 2) shake the crap out of said pie until it finally flops awkwardly onto red hot steel in a loosely oblong rectangular mass.
Step 3) stage pizza ugly-side-out and place spent bottle of Consecration near ugly side.
No one will have any idea[emoji12] .
Pickled pepper and Sun dried tomato with tx Craig's from pizzamaking.coms hot oil.
P.S. I hate pizza peels.

View attachment 558422hotwatermusic's guide to showing off ugly pizzas.
Step 1) make pizza that absolutely refuses to launch.
Step 2) shake the crap out of said pie until it finally flops awkwardly onto red hot steel in a loosely oblong rectangular mass.
Step 3) stage pizza ugly-side-out and place spent bottle of Consecration near ugly side.
No one will have any idea[emoji12] .
Pickled pepper and Sun dried tomato with tx Craig's from pizzamaking.coms hot oil.
P.S. I hate pizza peels.
Hot oil? Is that his jalapeno pepper sauce?

Back