The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have one of these? Saw it in the store earlier but I didn't buy it. Seems pretty small but the price is good. Any similar products in the same price range?

https://www.worldmarket.com/product/terracotta+pizza+oven.do

I've seen them in store. They are nice, but very small for wood fire. Some​ sacrifices would probably have to be made. Either very small pizzas, small fire(low heat) or burnt edges.
Now, it might work better being heated from below(seriously considered putting one on my blichmann burner B) ) with a bit of coals in there, just to kiss the pie a little.
Then again, many of reviews look like they are not heating it up long enough at all.

Researching, it looks like most terracotta can withstand 1200°F. Not sure if it could take a blichmann or not. Maybe if some sort of deflection plate was used to disperse the heat some. If anyone does try this, I would start the fire first and let it warm slowly with that before adding the additional heat. I'd be concerned the thermal shock would crack it.
You would also need to store it indoors to keep moisture out of it.

How come everyone's dough always is so smooth before they go to roll it out and mine usually looks like the surface of the moon and has divits and bubbles? It tastes good but does not look anything like a "traditional" dough. I'll post some pics next time I make dough

How come everyone's dough always is so smooth before they go to roll it out and mine usually looks like the surface of the moon and has divits and bubbles? It tastes good but does not look anything like a "traditional" dough. I'll post some pics next time I make dough

You are probably using too much yeast for too short a time - most recipes from tv chefs, general cookbooks etc tend to say use 1 packet of 7g yeast and you will have pizza dough in a couple of hours. The last dough I made had 0.5g of instant yeast per kg of flour and took 24 hours at room temperature - it was actually a bit over fermented too as the room was warmer than I thought

Also you need to ball the dough, I don't know if you are doing that, there's lots of youtube vids on it

this site has a lot of dough recipes on it depending on the style of pizza you want and how you are cooking it
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/index.php

one for NY style
http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/index.php/name/New-York-Style-Pizza/record/57724/

@jwin nice ingredients, and beautiful pies. How are you liking and using those screens?

Thanks. Was actually turkey ham and turkey pep, and was damn good.
The screen u see under the finished pie I just use to cut/serve
I use a combo of screen/stone/bare to bake, in that order
These are the screens I use.
86167-1.jpg

Google "Lloyd quik-disk"
https://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/pizza-disks/original-quik-disk-40. (cheaper elsewhere)
American metalcraft also makes some, but I don't think that they make them preseasoned.
Best screens out there in my opinion.
Love em. Pizzas don't stick, ever. I pull them off the screens, half baked, and move to the stone.
I'll move the pie to finish on the bottom rack, bare, as needed for color/char.
For thin crust, I pull the pie out for 10 minutes, then slap it back on the stone.

You are probably using too much yeast for too short a time - most recipes from tv chefs, general cookbooks etc tend to say use 1 packet of 7g yeast and you will have pizza dough in a couple of hours. The last dough I made had 0.5g of instant yeast per kg of flour and took 24 hours at room temperature - it was actually a bit over fermented too as the room was warmer than I thought

Also you need to ball the dough, I don't know if you are doing that, there's lots of youtube vids on it

this site has a lot of dough recipes on it depending on the style of pizza you want and how you are cooking it
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/index.php

one for NY style
http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/index.php/name/New-York-Style-Pizza/record/57724/

Just made some dough based off a recipe from this site. Let's just say... My pizzas are tasty but I've been doing it completely wrong! Ha! Thanks for the info!

What does everyone use for yeast? They kept referring to use your culture. I get what that means in brewing, but do you guys keep an active culture going? Or can I just use store bought active dry yeast?

What does everyone use for yeast?

Red Star Instant Yeast. I buy a jar every few years, keep it in the fridge, and only use a fraction of it.

I've never had good luck with dough made from a starter. It always ends up too slack and sticky. Plus it's timing is inconsistent as hell. The dry stuff is the same every time for a given temperature.

Red Star Instant Yeast. I buy a jar every few years, keep it in the fridge, and only use a fraction of it.

I've never had good luck with dough made from a starter. It always ends up too slack and sticky. Plus it's timing is inconsistent as hell. The dry stuff is the same every time for a given temperature.

Off to Amazon!!

It's been a while, but I am finally a couple of weeks away from breaking in my wood fired oven. A couple of years ago, I fabbed my own clone of a Weber Kettle Pizza oven. It worked OK - but suffers from a design flaw (as do grills and Big Green Eggs) - not enough top heat. It also used a huge amount of fuel - not enough thermal mass. I decided I wanted a real oven so I began researching and finally pulled the trigger on a build a few months ago. Rather than building the oven from brick, I decided to use castable refractory cement. I am very happy with the result. The oven was insulated last weekend (4" of ceramic fiber blanket) and I have begun curing fires this week before I stucco the oven.

image_80897.jpg

It's been a while, but I am finally a couple of weeks away from breaking in my wood fired oven. A couple of years ago, I fabbed my own clone of a Weber Kettle Pizza oven. It worked OK - but suffers from a design flaw (as do grills and Big Green Eggs) - not enough top heat. It also used a huge amount of fuel - not enough thermal mass. I decided I wanted a real oven so I began researching and finally pulled the trigger on a build a few months ago. Rather than building the oven from brick, I decided to use castable refractory cement. I am very happy with the result. The oven was insulated last weekend (4" of ceramic fiber blanket) and I have begun curing fires this week before I stucco the oven.

That's fantastic. I've been eyeing up DYI info outdoor ovens like that. Did you follow guidelines from any specific source?

Nice work!
A little concerned about the stove pipe there. That stuff will rest out after a few seasons. Looks like it may already be on it's way. Not sure if it's too late, but single wall stainless pipe isn't terribly expensive.

Wouldn't waste my time on a build like that. The dome is cast out of the wrong stuff and there is no insulation. It might be able to contain a fire in a dome like structure, but there is more to an oven than that. The floors and the walls need to be thick and dense enough to absorb a great deal of energy (heat). There also needs to be an insulative layer between the outer surface of the inner walls and the rest of the world.

Nice work!
A little concerned about the stove pipe there. That stuff will rest out after a few seasons. Looks like it may already be on it's way. Not sure if it's too late, but single wall stainless pipe isn't terribly expensive.

What do you mean by "rest out"

If that is what he means then that is going to be some serious rust since the chimney is a terracotta flue liner. I've never seen terracotta rust.

for yeast amounts /dough resting times/temperature rests I have found this really handy

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.0

and this one is for an active sourdough starter - I've only done this once with my sourdough but it was bang on.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22649.0.html

FWIW, Bread machine yeast is the same thing. You can get a small jar from the grocery that'll last you a good long time without buying a whole brick.

If that is what he means then that is going to be some serious rust since the chimney is a terracotta flue liner. I've never seen terracotta rust.

It won't rust but it may well crack lengthwise down the middle. At least that's what mine did. I had two 2' lengths one on top of the other and they both cracked down the middle. I'm using double wall insulated stainless now.

FWIW, Bread machine yeast is the same thing. You can get a small jar from the grocery that'll last you a good long time without buying a whole brick.

This is what i have. It's a jar not a brick. Costs $3-4.

red-star-quick-rise-instant-dry-yeast_3079090.jpg

I think the brick @Evets is referring to is directed at my post, and what you have is essentially what he is talking about.

I get 4x the amount for the same price.

Admittedly, it takes a few minutes to rehydrate the yeast in warm water before adding it to the recipe. But, since I typically do a 24-48 hour ferment, no biggie. To each their own, right.

My bad. Looks like a section of rusty stove pipe in the pic.
And yes, typo rust out.

I think the brick @Evets is referring to is directed at my post, and what you have is essentially what he is talking about.

I get 4x the amount for the same price.

Admittedly, it takes a few minutes to rehydrate the yeast in warm water before adding it to the recipe. But, since I typically do a 24-48 hour ferment, no biggie. To each their own, right.

Actually, I was referring to @kev211 saying "off to Amazon" to buy yeast. My point is that you can buy it at the store without paying extra for shipping and having to wait etc. from Amazon and that bread machine and quick-rise is the same as instant dry yeast, or IDY as you may see it in a recipe. Also, you don't need to rehydrate IDY like you should with ADY. I just mix it into the flour before it goes into the mixer.

Actually, I was referring to @kev211 saying "off to Amazon" to buy yeast. My point is that you can buy it at the store without paying extra for shipping and having to wait etc. from Amazon and that bread machine and quick-rise is the same as instant dry yeast, or IDY as you may see it in a recipe. Also, you don't need to rehydrate IDY like you should with ADY. I just mix it into the flour before it goes into the mixer.

Wait? Shipping? Pffftt. 1-hour amazon prime shipping! Haha.
That being said... I did manage to find it at the local grocery store so picked up a jar

I'm going to attempt a breakfast pizza in the morning. **depending on how bad the hangover is **

Eggs, Turkey sausage, green pepper and cheese. Will post pics.

I'm going to attempt a breakfast pizza in the morning. **depending on how bad the hangover is **

Eggs, Turkey sausage, green pepper and cheese. Will post pics.

Done it. Let the eggs at least partially solidify, then throw some cheddar on. Reason being, cheddar burns/browns quickly.(low moisture)
Or, if u r a runny eggs kinda people, crack them on top near the end of the bake.

So, for the love of beer/pizza/science/pickles/fermentation, I pulled ~3ml of juice from my first batch of sour pickles and added it to 35g of bread flour and 35g warm water. The pickles are just past day four and all signs look good afaik. I plan to build the "starter" up, if it ferments, over​ the next week or two and see what happens. Who knows. Maybe it will become a house pizza/sourdough strain. I buy flour in bulk(GFS), so making some scrap bread or a small pie out of it is minimal in cost...

Why not try anyway?

I'll be sure to report back as it progresses.

Also, to add, in my research in fermenting cucumbers, I read that the bloom end contains an enzyme that causes the pickles to become mushy. Now, that's bad for pickles, but could be beneficial elsewhere in the world we work/play in. Anyone have a clue as to what enzymatic activity is happening on cucumber blooms?
I imagine it encourages faster decomp of the vegetation, as a means to reproduce. That's pure speculation...

View attachment 1501393433579.jpg

I've got some cucumbers salting overnight, although I'm not fermenting them just going to pickle using vinegar :) Be interested to hear how that starter turns out for you

I've noticed that the flowers on courgettes and cucumbers go mouldy very very quickly, I always remove them as soon as possible, if not i get end rot on the fruits

I've got four dough balls in the fridge for this evening, I found a new flour I've not used before in Aldi, from FWPMathews - however when I was mixing it I noticed it was very very yellow, so found out it was fine ground semolina flour - so ended up mixing it 50/50 with some extra strong bread flour. not sure how it'll turn out

Back