The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you give it a light coat of olive oil? I always let my dough ferment a few days in the fridge in a sealed container and make a wet dough which is enough to keep it from getting a skin on it. Just hope you don't have to manage a humidor in that climate :).

I do use oil during the rise. Then I split it into two balls, degas a bit, re-roll into two balls and let sit under a damp tea towel for a couple hours. I get the skin during that last part. Using oil after I reform into two balls would probably work...

I ALWAYS cool my pies on racks. Just noticed in a lot of the pics that the pies are not on racks, which can allow the crust to get a tiny bit soggier.

I cook mine on a pizza stone as hot as I can get my oven and then straight to a cutting board. Never had a soggy bottom.

Not soggy per se, just not quite as crisp. Not wanting to start a debate.

Nothing wrong with the cutting board, but there is a reason baked things are cooled on a rack.

Not soggy per se, just not quite as crisp. Not wanting to start a debate.

Nothing wrong with the cutting board, but there is a reason baked things are cooled on a rack.

I don't think there could be a debate. Too many variables between your methods and the next persons. I just know I get a really nice crust I prefer over buying out with my method. Perhaps it's as simple as I prefer a little more of a chew to my crust and the cutting board method facilitates what I like. If I did thin crusts though I absolutely would use a cutting board.

You mean a rack for thin crusts? Yes! that is a good point.

Thin crusts like to be crisper and, by there smaller mass, are more susceptible to sog.

I put my medium crust on foil and it definitely got soggy after a few minutes. Cutting board may be more porous, or your pies may get devoured faster ;)

Yeah that is what I meant. Racks for thin crusts. I've only put them on wood out of the oven and that is pretty porous.

Bensiff... CheeZy... Yeah, there could definitely be a debate lol... It doesn't matter what about ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bensiff... CheeZy... Yeah, there could definitely be a debate lol... It doesn't matter what about ;)

Sent from my uPhone using Home Brew

FWIW, there already seems to be a debate... It's kind of like a guy in the machine shop here at work that leads off nearly every sentence, "Nothing personal, but...". By that point it's become personal! So Ben & Cheesy, debate on! But please, in the science of it, provide pictures of some scrumptious pizzas please!

Nah, Bensiff, dawin18, azipa, all great guys I would love to share a brew with over some pizza!!

*Notice the rack?*

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403105116.321244.jpg

;)

FWIW, there already seems to be a debate... It's kind of like a guy in the machine shop here at work that leads off nearly every sentence, "Nothing personal, but...". By that point it's become personal! So Ben & Cheesy, debate on! But please, in the science of it, provide pictures of some scrumptious pizzas please!

I don't want to sound like a prick, but....

Racking, for me, all depends on the type of pizza. Hand tossed and set on a stone or calzone go on the rack, deep dish goes on a cutting board.

I am making my "heart attack" pizza on Sat. Moose pepperoni, bear sausage, and locally raised bacon, with mozzarella, provolone, and parm cheese, with a garlic tomato sauce. Dang, Sat is so far away...

Tap or thread hob?
High RPM/FPM and low DOC or low RPM/FPM and high DOC?
Water base or oil base?
Climb cut or conventional? Whatever it is you're doing it wrong. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Racking, for me, all depends on the type of pizza. Hand tossed and set on a stone or calzone go on the rack, deep dish goes on a cutting board.

I am making my "heart attack" pizza on Sat. Moose pepperoni, bear sausage, and locally raised bacon, with mozzarella, provolone, and parm cheese, with a garlic tomato sauce. Dang, Sat is so far away...

You had me at BEAR SAUSAGE....:eek::rockin:

I usually stay closer to traditional neopolitan style pizzas, but this has been one of my favorites lately: crawfish etouffee pizza.

I made the sauce just as I would make crawfish etouffee but (1) never adding the crawfish, (2) removing the bay leaf (duh), (3) adding a little heavy cream. Topped with a mozzarella-pepper jack blend, crawfish, parsley and scallions.

crawfishpie.jpg

WOW!!!!!

Sounds like a lot of flour, but so is biscuits and gravy!!!!

I thought that looked like parsley!!! I wonder about a little filo on it? Cool idea!

You would not believe how hard it is to get a hot Italian to stay in the woods long enough for a beer to eat them. It helps to have some beer in the 9 ABV range, but watch what kind. You do not want to overly mix you flavorings. Then, you have to wait a few days for full Italian absorption... Or, you just buy some spice and mix it with your bear meat and pork fat. The first one is a bit more sporty and dangerously illegal. I have never tasted a big difference.

You would not believe how hard it is to get a hot Italian to stay in the woods long enough for a beer to eat them. It helps to have some beer in the 9 ABV range, but watch what kind. You do not want to overly mix you flavorings. Then, you have to wait a few days for full Italian absorption... Or, you just buy some spice and mix it with your bear meat and pork fat. The first one is a bit more sporty and dangerously illegal. I have never tasted a big difference.

I usually stay closer to traditional neopolitan style pizzas, but this has been one of my favorites lately: crawfish etouffee pizza.

I made the sauce just as I would make crawfish etouffee but (1) never adding the crawfish, (2) removing the bay leaf (duh), (3) adding a little heavy cream. Topped with a mozzarella-pepper jack blend, crawfish, parsley and scallions.

OMG I'm in love with a pizza. I think that I need to try this!

Have you done same with Lobster Neuberg?

I haven't tried lobster neuberg... yet, but man that sounds mighty fine.

My mom loves the Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish Grill (have never had it myself), so I made her a pizza using a copycat bang bang sauce recipe and grilled shrimp.

Deconstructed sausage and peppers works well too: pureeing red/orange/yellow peppers that have been marinating and cooking for a while into a sauce and slicing the sausages as a topping.

Let's talk basil. I find when I put it on for the whole cook it gets dry and acrid. Put it on at the end and it's too raw.

Maybe put it on half way through the cook?

Crawfish Etoufee Pizza! Lobster Neuberg Pizza! That's just all kinds of awesomeness!

Let's talk basil. I find when I put it on for the whole cook it gets dry and acrid. Put it on at the end and it's too raw.

Just tossing out ideas...

You could lightly cook the leaves and put it on at the end. That way you would have control over how raw you like it.
Or, maybe if you put it under the cheese instead of on top it wouldn't dry out as much throughout the whole cooking process. You'd lose the prettiness associated with it but it might still work.

...damn I need to make pizza again.

I know my favorite pizzaria puts it on for the entire cooking time, but their cook time is several minutes shorter than mine at home.

I'm making some tonight, so I'll try cooking for ~3-4 minutes and then putting it on.

This sounds awesome, been thinking of doing a southern new orleans type pizza but had my mind focused on jambalaya and couldnt think how to do the sauce. Etouffee (or gumbo) is a much better dish to translate.

Only thing is it is missing the Andouille, gotta have Andouille

I love it raw at the end, but also doesn't keep very well that way.

I like to either sprinkle it after cooking, OR Put the basil directly on the sauce, under the cheese.

You get lots of basil, not dried out, but not raw.

Back