The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm making a pizza tonight. 100% no knead whole wheat dough. Makes pizza somewhat healthy...until I cover it with delicious salty meat toppings.

Forgot the cooling pic but remembered to take a shot of the last victim.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392789452.202890.jpg

Pepperoni, salami and shiitake shrooms

I'm making a pizza tonight. 100% no knead whole wheat dough. Makes pizza somewhat healthy...until I cover it with delicious salty meat toppings.

I would love to see the recipe for your 100% no knead whole wheat dough, if you could. Thank you.

I would love to see the recipe for your 100% no knead whole wheat dough, if you could. Thank you.

3 cups all purpose wheat flour
10-11 oz cold water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp yeast

-mix dry ingredients in bowl. I like to use a glass mixing bowl to see the action.
-add water and mix until all flour is absorbed. I use wooded spoon handle for this and a sauce spatula to scrape the sides.
-cover bowl with plastic wrap, sit in warm area of kitchen for 18-24 hours
next day:
-scrape dough from glass bowl onto flour covered surface
-coat hands in flour and separate dough mass in two or three mounds. (two bigger pizzas or three smaller ones). If only making one pie just form a ball out of the others and refrigerate until ready to bake. (3-5 days)
-form dough into ball and stretch. fold the right side into the middle, do the same with top, left and bottom sides.
-set ball seam down and cover with damp paper towel for 1-2 hours.
-dip dough ball into bowl of flour on both sides and form the crust.
-add toppings, bake at 450 for 15 minutes, cool

The main tricks are 1) a nice long rise to let the yeast do its thing and 2) very little handling of the dough.

Here is a youtube clip of the no knead master. Notice how he folds the dough and sort of tucks in the bottom. He does it a little different than me. I think I'm going to try the olive oil thing when I shape my next crust.

[ame="http://youtu.be/c_DrwsGB7OQ"]http://youtu.be/c_DrwsGB7OQ[/ame]

Hmmm, seems like with how springy it was that the glutens could have used a little more work. I would have also liked to see him cut into that to get an idea of the texture it produces. I let my mixer do all the work so its not too difficult, mix the ingredients up, let it rest for 30 then run it again for 5 minutes, and then let it rest a day or three to ferment. Come to think of it, I have a bunch of Weihenstephaner yeast in my fridge from a dunkel I should see what that gives me for dough.

Hmmm, seems like with how springy it was that the glutens could have used a little more work. I would have also liked to see him cut into that to get an idea of the texture it produces. I let my mixer do all the work so its not too difficult, mix the ingredients up, let it rest for 30 then run it again for 5 minutes, and then let it rest a day or three to ferment. Come to think of it, I have a bunch of Weihenstephaner yeast in my fridge from a dunkel I should see what that gives me for dough.

Here's a pic of the crumb with exact same recipe and procedure but baked whole as a loaf in a Dutch oven

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392870241.161008.jpg

Bought the breadmaker from a couple posts back, and promptly unpackaged it, rinsed out the tray, and made a "leftover" pizza last night. San Marzano tomatoes puree (next time I'll get chunky and reduce it in a pan), thinly sliced homemade meatballs, shredded chicken, fresh parsley, red onions, oregano, and thyme topped with crushed red pepper and Monterrey jack.

DSC_0166.JPG

Bought the breadmaker from a couple posts back, and promptly unpackaged it, rinsed out the tray, and made a "leftover" pizza last night. San Marzano tomatoes puree (next time I'll get chunky and reduce it in a pan), thinly sliced homemade meatballs, shredded chicken, fresh parsley, red onions, oregano, and thyme topped with crushed red pepper and Monterrey jack.

DSC_0166.JPG

You got the refurbished on off of ebay or a new one?

Refurbished; I've had nothing but good experiences with refurbished, didn't get the warranty, I ran the dough setting twice and then let it rise a little... could have baked (@550) the pie a little longer, but it still turned out better than most of my other indoor pizzas (I use a cast iron pan on the grill.. but my grill has been covered in snow!).

Refurbished; I've had nothing but good experiences with refurbished, didn't get the warranty, I ran the dough setting twice and then let it rise a little... could have baked (@550) the pie a little longer, but it still turned out better than most of my other indoor pizzas (I use a cast iron pan on the grill.. but my grill has been covered in snow!).

I got that same one yesterday in the mail and it didnt work. It read an eee error code and I have to ship it back. I also have had good luck with refurbished though. A while back a got a refurbished vizio 1080p 3d 52'' smart tv for $500 and its been great. This was the first thing that hasnt worked out :(

I got that same one yesterday in the mail and it didnt work. It read an eee error code and I have to ship it back.(
That's a tough break man :( You probably had the ingredients all ready to go for it too, if you were like me :) I suppose worst case is you have to knead /rise the old fashioned way...

I made two more sheet pizzas again last night,biscuit crust again. But had to leave out the spent grains,as they made my diabetic wife sick last time. Dammit,now I have a couple big bags of dryed spent grains I can't use. (insert SOB! rainman scene here). Anyway,I used 8C of regular flour,two TBSP's baking powder,& some 4tsp kosher salt with 1C shortening. Jared pizza sauce with slabs of ham cut in short strips,bell pepper cut in thin strips & halved & crimini mushrooms. Topped with cheddar & monty kack cheeses. She loved this version,as it didn't mess up her diabeties.

2014-02-25-193004-62311.jpg

Homemade dough, homemade mozzarella, homemade tomato sauce, home cured/smoked bacon, home fermented jalapenos.

That looks amazing! I made a whole slew of pies over the weekend, unfortunately there were 10 people over and they were getting eaten as quick as I could take them out, so no pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Home fermented jalapeños!? Please tell me more, tell me more!

Yes, they're delicious! They're lacto fermented much like sauerkraut and pickles. So they're more like pickled jalapenos, but not pickled in vinegar. I just clean them, half them, seed them and remove the stems and ribbing. Then put them in a crock or glass jar and cover with a brine (3-5% salt in chlorine free water). Then let it sit out a room temp for about a week, covered with a towel. Make sure they're submerged or mold can grow on them. Then cap them and throw them in the fridge. I usually add a little of my brine from a previous ferment to kick off the next one. It gets the lacto going.

My favorite things to ferment so far are saurkraut, carrots (with chiles and kaffir lime leaves), and good ole sweet corn.

I like the fermenter jalapeño idea. I ferment my hot sauce, or more like chili condiment each year. Just grind the chilis, add salt, ferment for 10 days, more salt, immersion blend it and then that's it. It will keep for years refrigerated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Made up some dough with weihenstephaner yeast. It was slow to get going and produced a pretty flat pizza. It also was very sweet, too sweet for pizza IMO. I have some 1099 and 1098 I will try when they are done doing their duty making beer. I'm hoping to find a beer yeast that has the perfect texture I get from US-05 but with a good flavor as 05 is very flavor neutral and seems to subdue salts flavoring impact on the dough.

Making some pies tonight. No knead overnight rise and a quick rise using Alton Brown's ingredients with a short hand knead.

Just about to form the crusts. The no knead is working better than I thought it was. I was skeptical about such a wet mix.

No knead turned out great. Got a much better "window pane" than I ever do with a long hand knead. Elk Italian sausage, onion, & mushroom...

img_20140305_221512_755-62391.jpg

No knead turned out great. Got a much better "window pane" than I ever do with a long hand knead. Elk Italian sausage, onion, & mushroom...

Come on, we need to see a good cross section to see what kind of texture you got with the method.

Ok guys, I want to get in on this awesomeness, but I have no idea where to start.

Looking to use my oven with a cast iron pizza pan (flat).

Could you point me to a recipe that will make SWMBO happy?

Ok guys, I want to get in on this awesomeness, but I have no idea where to start.

Looking to use my oven with a cast iron pizza pan (flat).

Could you point me to a recipe that will make SWMBO happy?

OK.

I've been there done that. I'm not an "expert" but I can give you some tips.

#1) check out the www.pizzamaking.com website. They have a forum, but also a section called PIZZA TOOLS. Go there. use the Lehman's Dough Calculator. That's a GREAT base recipe for dough. You'll need a digital scale. You probably have one for homebrewing. You will need one that can do small quantities in grams accurately. You do not necessarily need an electric mixer to make the dough.

Make the dough, separate into dough balls, put into lightly oiled round tupperware/storage containers and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge 1 hour before you plan to cook. To remove the dough, remove the lid and turn the container upside down to release the dough by gravity.

#2) You will need a Pizza Piel - the spatula used to transfer and remove the pizza from your hot oven/"stone-steel". Use a dusting of flour or cornmeal or Semolina flour to "lube" the pizza piel so the pizza will slide into oven. Worst thing that can happen is dough too moist that sticks to peel and will not release. If you buy a wooden piel that will be fine. I now use a perforated metal piel. A perforated piel will let you build your pie on a granite countertop and then load onto the piel after is fully dressed. Using a solid piel, you usually need to build & dress on the piel. If doing this, it is important to work quickly to get your pizza topped and off the piel and into oven as soon as possible to avoid sticking. You can give it a shake just before you transfer to be sure its still loose and slides easily. If a part is sticky, you can toss some flour under the edge or lift it and blow beneath to try and lift up.

#3) Try and get a big sack of All-Trumps flour. I bought a 50# sack for about $20. store it in two homer buckets. Otherwise try King Arthur's Bread Flour.

#4) For sauce I use Cento brand whole peeled tomatoes. Add 1T sugar, 1tsp salt to a large (?28 oz) can and hit with stick blender until texture is just right, doesn't take much. I also sometimes use up to 1T of Penzey's Spices Pizza Seasoning in the sauce.

#5) For cheese, sky is the limit, but the low fat types tend to do poorly. Feta and other hard cheeses with very low moisture do better in smaller portions sprinkled on top or mixed with a base cheese. I haven't settled on a favorite yet. I prefer brick cheese and shred myself.

#6) I like to "open the skin" by hand. I have no idea what the term means but you see it used a lot talking about shaping the dough balls into
That should get you started.

Good Luck

Back