The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if a wheat flour crust would be good with my spouse's breakfast pizza. She makes a (Velveeta) cheese sauce and tops it with scrambled eggs and bacon, then the usual pizza cheese blend and a little cheddar.

My son bought me a pizza steel and shovel for Christmas, it’s a game changer. Put the oven to 230C leave the steel in there for 30 minutes then make the pizza dough put some semolina flour on the shovel put the pizza on it and it slides onto the steel.

Well @z-bob , you inspired motivated gave me the idea to make pizza dough with the only flour being whole wheat flour.

You don't need to like cauliflower to make a "healthy" crust pizza. Here's the recipe from King Arthur.

PXL_20230325_155729392.jpgPXL_20230325_160416553.jpgPXL_20230325_161435361.jpg

PXL_20230325_165044570.jpg

Made a 40g water 40g flour poolish the night before assembling the dough. Used the orange juice and 180g of water, and added a teaspoon of vital wheat gluten just as the dough was coming together. It might've helped, but I think I could've doubled that, I just don't know if it would have done any good. I baked it on a stone in my oven.

Taste? Assertively wheaty, but edible. Definitely needs to be topped with things that can stand up to the whole wheat flavor, from the sauce to the meat/veggie.

Under the right certain circumstances I could see myself making this again, but I won't plan to make it for any pizza that I intend to eat much of.

Last edited:
Well @z-bob , you inspired motivated gave me the idea to make pizza dough with the only flour being whole wheat flour.

You don't need to like cauliflower to make a "healthy" crust pizza. Here's the recipe from King Arthur.

View attachment 815954View attachment 815955View attachment 815956

View attachment 815957

Made a 40g water 40g flour poolish the night before assembling the dough. Used the orange juice and 180g of water, and added a teaspoon of vital wheat gluten just as the dough was coming together. It might've helped, but I think I could've doubled that, I just don't know if it would have done any good. I baked it on a stone in my oven.

Taste? Assertively wheaty, but edible. Definitely needs to be topped with things that can stand up to the whole wheat flavor, from the sauce to the meat/veggie.

Under the right certain circumstances I could see myself making this again, but I won't plan to make it for any pizza that I intend to eat much of.
100% whole wheat was bold. :D (why do things halfway, right?) I was thinking more like 50% and wondering if that would be too much.

100% whole wheat was bold. :D (why do things halfway, right?) I was thinking more like 50% and wondering if that would be too much.

Yeah, but I was curious what would happen if I went all in. For Science!

I'd suggest you invest in white whole wheat flour (does anyone besides KA make it?). Do you make your own sauce? That might be a good idea so you can amp up the seasoning. These sweet peppers were definitely a good idea, I wish I had put them all around the perimeter, because the edge of the crust is like a miller grabbing a handful of wheat in his fist and punching me in the face.

Whole wheat is less rubbery than white flour. Maybe that's why people don't use 100% whole wheat most of the time. They don't want it coming apart when they stretch it. But 100% can certainly be done, especially with a pan pizza.

Whole wheat is less rubbery than white flour. Maybe that's why people don't use 100% whole wheat most of the time. They don't want it coming apart when they stretch it. But 100% can certainly be done, especially with a pan pizza.

That's along the lines of what I was reading, which is why I added more gluten. The dough didn't feel right when I started working it to get it all stretched out, but it also didn't come out like a bunch of pizza toppings over a thin bread. If I was going to make this often, I would definitely at least know where I could purchase some vital wheat gluten, if not keep some at my house.

I have a rolling pin, I just don't use it often. Also, I'm used to stretching out about 14oz - 20oz of dough, and this was ~23oz, and I wasn't trying to get it as thin as normal. I didn't tear the dough at all.

Cast iron fry pan pizza, kind of Detroit-style. Recipe loosely based on this one on ATK. I used instant yeast, rather than doing the overnight in the fridge thing. Used whole milk mozzarella with a little shredded cheddar mixed in, and monterey jack around the edges.

Only gripe: I didn't have enough pepperoni on hand to cover the thing. More pepp next time.

PanPizza(1).jpg

Last edited:
That's along the lines of what I was reading, which is why I added more gluten. The dough didn't feel right when I started working it to get it all stretched out, but it also didn't come out like a bunch of pizza toppings over a thin bread. If I was going to make this often, I would definitely at least know where I could purchase some vital wheat gluten, if not keep some at my house.
I use a lot of vital gluten when I use wheat flour. I add 2 tablespoons to a 50/50 white/wheat loaf.

I'm a big fan of wheat flour, but if I'm making a meaty pizza, I usually stick with all white. If I'm going heavy on the veggies, I'll add some wheat to the dough. I like the way the flavors work together.

One of the reasons I make my own pizza is I want to fool myself into thinking I make healthy pizza. I feel like my crusts, made with a small amount of rye and whole wheat flour, are healthier than takeout or store bought stuff. Now I think I should start making my own sauce. Tony G has some good dough recipes, but his book only seems interested in uncooked sauce.

I tried making my "new" (from Tony G's book which I received as a gift in January) multigrain dough with KA 00 flour instead of KA bread flour, and it came out incredibly sticky. I've made it twice with the same results each time, so I don't think I made a one-off mistake. Still tasted good and it was workable, but if it had been any stickier I would say it wasn't workable.

I tried using vital wheat gluten to help make up for that problem. I think it might've helped a little, but it didn't solve the issue.

For me, getting the water-to-flour ratio was a big part of the recipe coming together. Recently, I forgot to add the vital wheat gluten to a batch, and it was noticeably stickier. It got me to thinking: maybe it wasn't so much the lack of gluten as it was having a little less flour in the mix.

I'm convinced that the 00 flour isn't the right flour for what I am making. That was the only variable I was aware of.

We’re fairly new to making our own pizza from scratch and this thread has been a big help. The crust was a bit hard and not chewy on the first few we made. My wife read that adding powdered milk makes the dough softer. We added about 3 tablespoons of powdered milk to that last one we made, the Philly Cheesesteak above, and its the best crust we’ve made yet. I see recipes that call for 1/4 cup.

This is pretty typical of my pizzas. I'm originally from New Jersey, so I always go for that excellent thin crust, high flavor style. I use Italian bread flour, Italian yeast, slow ferment. Garlic butter crust, fresh basil under the cheese, shredded mozzarella, homemade sauce if I can. I need to get a pizza steel to get a better under bake. But the top is excellent.
View attachment 813521
That looks about as close to a pizza shop pizza as I’ve ever seen

Got some Caputo back in, made some 90% Caputo 10% white rye same day dough. Used some whisky barrel staves as fuel. Mozz was Scottish buffalo mozzarella from Aldi, if you are in the UK I can recommend it, it's pretty dry for a wet mozz and is quite firm so easy sliceable. Tasty too. Also made a few lightly topped ones for freezing and retopping.

The one on the foil in the oven is a gluten free one, still need to work on those. I'm thinking maybe a to try a pan pizza for that next time

IMG_20230408_184703017_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230408_181432560_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230408_180226671.jpg
IMG_20230408_162102568_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I do for same-day thin pizza:

CRUST INGREDIENTS

Works with 2 tsp. sugar, but not less.

180 g flour
120 g water
0.8 tsp. salt
1.25 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. yeast
3/4 tsp. olive oil

Warm water and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast will speed it up if you're in a hurry. I use cool tap water and give the dough 4 hours or so to rise. Blend everything but the oil in the processor with a chopper blade. Wait 5 minutes. Add the oil and processe again. Put a light coat of oil on your hands to keep the dough from sticking. Remove the dough and make it into a ball.

To proof the dough (to make it rise), put it on an oiled pan and put a glass bowl over it so you can watch it. Need a temperature of 75-95°.

This is not Neapolitan pizza. Just plain old NYC crust, baked at 500 or so on a piece of steel plate. I don't know anything about Neapolitan because I don't like it. I also put around half a teaspoon of pepper in the crust, but I keep forgetting to write it into the recipe.

There is some scientific reason for processing the dough twice and adding the oil in between, but I forget what it is.

I use Gordon Food Service Primo Gusto high-gluten flour. I have tried every high-gluten flour in existence, and I mean every one. Primo Gusto worked better than the name brands.

The dough ingredients fly up and stick to the walls of the Cuisinart bowl. I take a silicone spatula and scrape them back down, and then I resume processing. Works great.

You need to make sure the dough ball is tight in order to get oven spring.

You can make this the day before, use half as much yeast, and leave it in the fridge, but the pizza is no better.

This will give you a 13" pizza. I don't claim it's the best on Earth, but it's better than 90% of the pizzerias out there.

First off Happy May! It's snowing here this morning, already a couple inches on the ground, the temp is 34 - YUK!

Looking over the recent posts this weekend of all the beautiful pies I made two yesterday. No pictures, but the same as my last post - YUMMY!

Keep up with the great pictures gang!

Last minute cheese pizza night. View attachment 819578
Hey treacheroustexan,
How do you like your GMG pizza attachment?
I got one a while ago and recently started using it. So far I love it. It gets to 700ish in about 30-40 min which is fine because I’ll throw in a pan style pizza in as it’s getting up to temp.

My only complaint is that it’s a bit small for pan pizzas. I bought a Detroit style pan and the whole thing won’t fit inside. I just stick it half way in and keep rotating it. Other than that it’s great.

Like many others, I think the ooni’s are pretty dang cool but for the price I can have a pellet smoker and pizza oven.

Hey treacheroustexan,
How do you like your GMG pizza attachment?
I got one a while ago and recently started using it. So far I love it. It gets to 700ish in about 30-40 min which is fine because I’ll throw in a pan style pizza in as it’s getting up to temp.

My only complaint is that it’s a bit small for pan pizzas. I bought a Detroit style pan and the whole thing won’t fit inside. I just stick it half way in and keep rotating it. Other than that it’s great.

Like many others, I think the ooni’s are pretty dang cool but for the price I can have a pellet smoker and pizza oven.
Hey! I am still learning but I love it. I measured the stone the last 2 times I cooked and you're right, mine gets about 700!

I was also wanting to get an ooni, but my wife got me the GMG for valentines day and I couldn't be happier with it. It fits right in my Pit Boss.

Back