The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheese pie cause I too, am a vanilla ice cream fan.
I've had a steel for a couple weeks now. Like everything, there is a learning curve. It does super charge a regular home oven. I'm gonna start wearing oven mitts just to use my peel. Seriously.
I paid $130 for the big Stoughton one. Which is a lot for me.
I had a pie burn onto it. Goes from a nice char to a huge disaster quick.
However it's an awesome tool for sure and an inexpensive option for guys like me that would burn the neighborhood down if I tried building a brick oven. FWIW.

View attachment 1468799600224.jpg

View attachment 1468799622913.jpg

View attachment 1468799631881.jpg

Cool I'm glad you're happy with it, I'm happy with mine. If you make artisanal Breads and stuff like that it's really good for that too. How long did you let it heat for? Also I have never had a pizza burn in the oven?! When I put it on the grill it did in like 1 minute without cooking the top. But man I bet it makes a nice steak

Yeah, it just bonded to the steel and my thick wooden peel was useless. Pried it up with a knife. I imagine it was heating for over an hour. I've always just cranked my oven all the way up, but i'm realizing it may be a better cook around 475-500˚F. I would also stick to the recommended 45min to 1 hour pre-heat. I haven't been a very disciplined cook in the past but I'm learning to be one.

Cheese pizza? Honestly, what's the point? Discuss.

It's all I ever make/eat. Sublime and perfect in its restraint.

It's like, why work to come up with the perfect Vienna lager when you can make a big huge IIPA with tangerine zest and cloves and half a tube of Tom's toothpaste in secondary? Because you're crafting the perfect example of a style, not just hurling excess at a canvas.

It's like, why work to come up with the perfect Vienna lager when you can make a big huge IIPA with tangerine zest and cloves and half a tube of Tom's toothpaste in secondary? Because you're crafting the perfect example of a style, not just hurling excess at a canvas.

Amen! Well said.

Too extreme of an analogy. Cheese only pizza - bleh. Sausage and cheese pizza (perhaps some onions) - yummy! Don't need the entire fridge on it but just cheese, not my thing.

Too extreme of an analogy. Cheese only pizza - bleh. Sausage and cheese pizza (perhaps some onions) - yummy! Don't need the entire fridge on it but just cheese, not my thing.

To me it's that perfect Napoli pie that I strive for, and the more junk that goes on it, the more those iconic flavors are muted. Tomato, basil, garlic, mozzarella di bufala -- it's like barley, yeast, and hops. I don't need a bunch of pineapple, cacao nibs, or bacon in either case!

To me it's that perfect Napoli pie that I strive for, and the more junk that goes on it, the more those iconic flavors are muted. Tomato, basil, garlic, mozzarella di bufala -- it's like barley, yeast, and hops. I don't need a bunch of pineapple, cacao nibs, or bacon in either case!

For me, it's not one thing. Sometimes cheese pizza is great. Sometimes pepperoni. Sometimes a bunch of stuff. Thin, thick, pan, cold leftovers. It's all good.

I lean toward classic Italian pies as well. But I like fancy pants pies from time to time. Love apricot preserves, Gorgonzola, pears and prosciutto with arugula on top. So far from classic but it tastes so good.

For me, it's not one thing. Sometimes cheese pizza is great. Sometimes pepperoni. Sometimes a bunch of stuff. Thin, thick, pan, cold leftovers. It's all good.

We were short on time this weekend so we picked up some refrigerated dough in a can. Both were actually surprisingly good! Both were Pillsbury; one was thin and the other regular. I wouldn't say they were GOURMET or nothin', but better than I expected. Also found a mix to try for when we are pressed for time.

The nice thing about them was they were super easy to handle. I have found the stretching and rolling to be a PITA, frankly.

I ended up just putting right on the stone and topping the pizza, then putting in the grill and cooking. Next time I will remember to try elevating the stone on some tin cans.

We made chicken alfredo pizzas again. Wife loves those and it's something we can all agree on.

We were short on time this weekend so we picked up some refrigerated dough in a can. Both were actually surprisingly good! Both were Pillsbury; one was thin and the other regular. I wouldn't say they were GOURMET or nothin', but better than I expected. Also found a mix to try for when we are pressed for time.

The nice thing about them was they were super easy to handle. I have found the stretching and rolling to be a PITA, frankly.

I ended up just putting right on the stone and topping the pizza, then putting in the grill and cooking. Next time I will remember to try elevating the stone on some tin cans.

We made chicken alfredo pizzas again. Wife loves those and it's something we can all agree on.

Any chance of a picture of the pizzas? I have been wondering about how that dough was. I might go pick some up tomorrow.

Any chance of a picture of the pizzas? I have been wondering about how that dough was. I might go pick some up tomorrow.

Sure. This was the regular crust I believe.

IMG_20160715_184209585.jpg

Looks good! Bought some today. Will give it a shot some night this week and post back with results!

Good luck! As I say, it's not gourmet, but it's quick and not bad. This one was not as cooked on the bottom as the first one, which was almost black by the time I pulled it off. I'm still interested in raising the stone up a bit away from the flame and see what happens. And I still want to find a better recipe for homemade.

Sorry, but also wow. My steel doesnt work that good at 550. Its a convection oven I don't know where the best place is to put it. where is yours in your oven? Gas? Maybe I'm not letting it heat long enough. Like the fact you took a bite
...or 2 :)

Good luck! As I say, it's not gourmet, but it's quick and not bad. This one was not as cooked on the bottom as the first one, which was almost black by the time I pulled it off. I'm still interested in raising the stone up a bit away from the flame and see what happens. And I still want to find a better recipe for homemade.

Girlfriend wanted a half cheese and half cheese/jalapeno. Suck it, all you cheese only bashers.

This is using the Pillsbury crust. I don't think it turned out bad at all! This was on parchment paper and then on a stone in a gas oven. My only complaint is you can tell it's pillsbury haha (which is expected of course) just has that buttery/biscuit smell to it in my opinion. But definitely not bad for a quick pizza!

View attachment 1469066557548.jpg

I've made some pretty mean 2 layer Chicago style deeps in cast iron with pilsbury dough.
It has its place.

Just to chip in, here's my pizza dough recipe:

Proof yeast first:
1/3 cup warm water
1 tablespoon molasses
1-1/4 tsp quickrise yeast

Dough:
3.5 cups bread flour makes two 16" pizzas
3/4 cup cool water
1-1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Sauce... You can make your own but this stuff is great:
11515-2.jpg

Favorite toppings:
Mozzarella with some smoked provolone
Salami
And
Pickled cherry peppers (sweet and spicy)

Has anyone made their own pizza stone? High heat mortar or something else?

So it's not as pretty as I wanted it to be... I baked the spinach the whole time so not sure if I should have done that. But this is using great value pizza dough. I liked the Pillsbury but the great value is a lot better! It doesnt have that Pillsbury /biscuity flavor to it. Tastes awesome! Though next time I won't bake the spinach like I did.

View attachment 1469842732269.jpg

I worked in the industry,made many many pizzas, I'm seeing a lot of this in pictures and am not picking on anyone but chalky crusts is a result of using too much flour after the dough is made, always use olive oil not flour as a lubricant, it makes a much better crust

I'm guilty can you explain a little further

I worked in the industry,made many many pizzas, I'm seeing a lot of this in pictures and am not picking on anyone but chalky crusts is a result of using too much flour after the dough is made, always use olive oil not flour as a lubricant, it makes a much better crust

The Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletan specifically excludes the use of fats in preparation of the dough.... Just sayin!

Although I use it in the dough, I never use it when stretching them. And in all my research, have honestly not seen it done.

Edit: I am open to the recommendation though, and would like to see a reference if you know of one.

Back