The Great 2007 HBT Belly Off Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its great you guys are doing this.

I'm 6' and 220 right now, mostly because we had a baby and my physical activity went to ZERO. Really bad.

Last summer I was 190, cycling and running. I just started working out at lunch. Actually I just got back from 50 minutes of hard circuit training.

I won't enter this contest, but I'm with you guys in spirit.

Okay, I'm in. I'll have to get on the scale tonight and get pics up.

Right now I am near the heaviest I have ever been. That was ten years ago and I was ~240 lbs., 5'9". I dropped carbs, worked out with weights, walked a lot and spent my Saturdays constructing my train layout. I dropped the lbs. like crazy and went to 189 lbs. in ~six months. Three years, lots of beer and food and knee surgery put me right back where I was a decade ago.

I need for my history to repeat itself!

Here's a current pic:

009.jpg

Here's was me after my last weight loss, in leaner days:

MarksBeerPix.jpg

Woohoo! That makes a full case (when you include Yooper's contribution) for the winner. I can't wait to see how this goes.

Can we have a reverse competition for people putting on weight? I have put on two kilos! Bugger. Now I am going to have to start being serious about this.
As Freud would say, "Weigh to much beer" :D

Well my plan is cutting out the soda.. watching my food intake and exercise a few times a week .. I started at 258ish and my goal for October for my wedding was under 210.. now if i can get there in time for this competition I might have ya all beat.. or not.. either way I still want to get my hands on some of Cheese's Carmel Cream Ale.. I just think it would taste so much better if I win it from him! (tho I won't be able to get his avatar out of my head the whole time I am enjoying the drink)

SpamDog

Damn i need to get in on this, I gained 40 pounds last semester after blowing my knee out in a rugby game, and not being able to do anything for months. I am now 5 months out of ACL,LCL,and meniscus surgery and ready to lose alot of weight. Is it still to late to enter?

Ryanh1801 said:
Damn i need to get in on this, I gained 40 pounds last semester after blowing my knee out in a rugby game, and not being able to do anything for months. I am now 5 months out of ACL,LCL,and meniscus surgery and ready to lose alot of weight. Is it still to late to enter?

It's never too late to enter; you're just at a mild disadvantage because the others have started their weight loss plan. It's still really early, though, so I'm sure it won't be a problem. Give me a weight and I'll put you in!

OK, I finally found what I think is an accurate scale and my weight is 217. I really thought I weighed less.

Ok so I'm in. At the start of this thread I was at 223. I am now down to 218 and my goal is to be 200 pounds by June. So I am shooting for a total of 23 pounds. We will see how this shapes up as I have a vacation to Cali in May through the beginning of June. Anyway, I've lost 5 pounds total so far.
4305-BabyKaylee021.jpg

This is me and the reason for my most recent gain, my lovely daughter. She's about 6 months now and I'm actually able to have a bit of a life. Nows the time to get back into fighting shape, as they say.

So I'm in

Dan

Dang it... I can't seem to loose any weight. So far, I've lost a whopping 1 pound. I just keep telling myself that it's because I'm putting on muscle... It could be because of the olive garden, and the pizza/beer too, but I'm not quitting the beer drinking...

:mad:

I do my best to refrain from drinking until the weekend. Beer is a double whammy: lots of calories per pint AND the alcohol slows down your metabolism.

Thaumaturgist: keep fighting! I haven't lost much yet either. Just think of all the delicious homebrew that could be yours!

I have to figure out what else to give up, because it's not going to be the beer.

Ok just weighed in (Even though i didn't want to see) 270.6 not as bad as i thought it was going to be.

me.jpg

This was taken right after i tore me knee out.

My goal for then end of sumer is around 210 or so, I start touch 7's rugby practice next month so with that and a cut down in cal. I hope i can shed some weight off easily. Let the games being. :rockin: Im hoping this will give me some encouragement.

OK i may have shot my self in the foot. I told you guys that I had this same thing goin with the guys at work sice January. Well weigh in was yesterday. I went from 244 lbs and 29.7% body fat to 224 lbs and 22.6% body fat. 20 lbs in three months....wow,how can i do that again for this one?

Oh Well, I will tell you that my new goal is to be 214 lbs and 17.6% body fat by June.
Lets see if I can repeat.....That would mean losing 15 lbs of fat, and adding 5 lbs of muscle

OLLLLO you bet on the wrong horse baby.:rockin:

Pirate Ale said:
OK i may have shot my self in the foot. I told you guys that I had this same thing goin with the guys at work sice January. Well weigh in was yesterday. I went from 244 lbs and 29.7% body fat to 224 lbs and 22.6% body fat. 20 lbs in three months....wow,how can i do that again for this one?

Oh Well, I will tell you that my new goal is to be 214 lbs and 17.6% body fat by June.
Lets see if I can repeat.....That would mean losing 15 lbs of fat, and adding 5 lbs of muscle

OLLLLO you bet on the wrong horse baby.:rockin:

Congrats.

Still no one's taking me up on my bet so so far my beer is safe.

Don't let him scare you olllllo.. I have already lost 9# and haven't even pulled out the secret weapon.. that has to wait till next week... We are right on track with where we want to be... Free beer can be yours!!

SpamDog

I've already given up. I'm fighting type 2 diabetes and the result of controlling my blood sugar? WEIGHT GAIN!:mad:
Just tell me where to send my home brew.

I stopped drinking alcohol on Mondays through Thursdays. I catch up on Friday evenings through Sunday evenings though. :D

SpamDog said:
Don't let him scare you olllllo.. I have already lost 9# and haven't even pulled out the secret weapon.. that has to wait till next week... We are right on track with where we want to be... Free beer can be yours!!

SpamDog

Right on man! No wonder no one's betting against us.

lost 2 pounds.... I'm not really making much of an effort and spending a weekend at my parent's house doesn't help at all.....

Easter hurt me a bit, but one or two bad days won't hurt me any more than one or two good days will help me. Stay on that horse!

I have been eating nothing but tuna and baked chicken, yum yum.. I can imagine how much I could lose if i gave up beer. hahaha, pretty sure that won't ever happen.

I am in........6-3, 302.6 lbs as ofTuesday at the doctor. He called me a fat bastard (not his real words), and told me to lose weight. So I am in. Do I need to send a picture of my beer drinking trophy? And how do we verify the winner?:tank: ?

Beermaker said:
I am in........6-3, 302.6 lbs as ofTuesday at the doctor. He called me a fat bastard (not his real words), and told me to lose weight. So I am in. Do I need to send a picture of my beer drinking trophy? And how do we verify the winner?:tank: ?

Yikes, pictures. Very few people have turned in a pic, and I count myself in the group that still needs to.

It looks like the winner will be judged on the honor system: weight yourself on June 21 and post it here. Good luck!

Just got back from Belgium. I was too scared to weigh myself this week. Maybe I'll gather up some courage and do it next week.

Everybody still trying, or has beer taken over again? :D

I lost a few, But im pretty sure i have gained it back this week. End of school always kills my diet. Its hard to eat right when your in the library non stop.

D'oh! I can't believe I missed this thread when it came out! I would have loved to join this thing... We have what, a month and a half left? Damn... though I must say I could use dropping a couple ... on each limb... anyway, good luck to ya'll, And who ever wins, we want to see side by side Before/After pics! No thongs though...

omniscientomar said:
we want to see side by side Before/After pics! No thongs though...

Man.. And I was gettin my thong all ready... Is a Speedo okay then??

Can't speak for anyone else on here but I am still doing this.. going good too.. down to 245ish :ban:

SpamDog

I've been drinking like a fish and eating cheesecake, chocolate lava cake, hot dogs, cheeseburgers, etc that were left over from my party. I don't think I'm going to win.

SpamDog said:
Man.. And I was gettin my thong all ready... Is a Speedo okay then??

Can't speak for anyone else on here but I am still doing this.. going good too.. down to 245ish :ban:

SpamDog

Keep it up SD. No wonder no one has bet me!
Come summer those pounds will melt away.

Im starting Rugby 7's practice tonight. 2 hours of nothing but running ought to help. Then on sat. Im doing a 40 mile bike race. Im done with school in a few weeks and will be able to refine my diet. Be scared be very scared. Yeah right, If i can lose 15 pounds by the end of this I will be happy.

My weight will remain a secret until the end of the competition (read: I suck at this).

Just remember: a whole CASE of homebrew if you win. Now go run a mile!

Mmmmm... homebrew.... Dangit Ayrton... I am trying to LOSE weight.. .not get blasted.. get the munchies and eat all the chips and oreos I can find..

SpamDog

Back