The Full DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLR1987

Reaction score
Hello everyone! So this will be my 3rd AG BIAB that I'll hopefully be tackling the Monday after next. I would love some feedback on this recipe! As you can clearly see, I also have not written a dry hop schedule for this yet, but I am always open to anything. This is for a 2 GALLON BATCH. (apartment brewing can be so limiting). Cheers everyone!
PS: I am using beersmith!

The Full DIPA
OG: 1.090
FG: 1.015
IBU: 100+
Color: 14 SRM

Ingredients:
------------
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
12.0 oz Vienna Malt
0.40 oz Magnum FWH & 90.0 min
4.0 oz Corn Sugar
0.40 oz Centennial - Boil 30.0 min
0.20 oz Cascade - Boil 30.0 min
0.20 oz Cascade - Boil 20.0 min
0.20 oz Centennial - Boil 20.0 min
0.20 oz Simcoe - Boil 20.0 min
0.20 oz Cascade - Boil 10.0 min
0.20 oz Centennial - Boil 10.0 min
0.20 oz Simcoe - Boil 10.0 min
0.20 oz Centennial - Flameout
0.20 oz Columbus - Flameout
0.20 oz Simcoe - Flameout
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

View attachment fulldipa.bsmx

Too much crystal malt for a two gallon batch. I'd use no more than 1/2 lbs each crystal and carapils for a 5 gallon batch; I'd drop each to at least 4 oz, I like a dry finish on my IPAs and personally I'd do 2 oz each or just 4 oz crystal 60 for a 2 gallon batch. If you want a sweeter finish cut them to 4 oz.
Hops look good. Honestly you could lose the 30 and 20 min additions and just do bittering and late hops, but some people prefer some middle additions so you are probably fine. You must, MUST dry hop for a good DIPA aroma. If these are all the hops you want to use I'd cut out the 20 min additions and dry hop with those instead.
My recipe would have hops at 60, 10, 5, flameout and a big (1 oz per gallon) dry hop, but what you have, with a little less crystal snd some dry hops, will be really nice. Good luck, I started brewing n one gallon jugs in a small apartment too, it's worthwhile to get some experience and you'll really appreciate bigger equipment once you get there!

sconnie said:
Too much crystal malt for a two gallon batch. I'd use no more than 1/2 lbs each crystal and carapils for a 5 gallon batch; I'd drop each to at least 4 oz, I like a dry finish on my IPAs and personally I'd do 2 oz each or just 4 oz crystal 60 for a 2 gallon batch. If you want a sweeter finish cut them to 4 oz.
Hops look good. Honestly you could lose the 30 and 20 min additions and just do bittering and late hops, but some people prefer some middle additions so you are probably fine. You must, MUST dry hop for a good DIPA aroma. If these are all the hops you want to use I'd cut out the 20 min additions and dry hop with those instead.
My recipe would have hops at 60, 10, 5, flameout and a big (1 oz per gallon) dry hop, but what you have, with a little less crystal snd some dry hops, will be really nice. Good luck, I started brewing n one gallon jugs in a small apartment too, it's worthwhile to get some experience and you'll really appreciate bigger equipment once you get there!

I did some more research and good call on your part. I didn't realize you factor carapils as part of your crystal percentage. Thanks for that! And as for the dry hop, I was maybe thinking of citra/simcoe. What do you think?

Back