The everlasting fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songstre

Reaction score
I have an all grain Tripel Karm clone in the secondary and it spent 2 weeks in the primary (2nd day I came home and the bucket was bloated and the airlock was clogged. Fermented like crazy! First time I ever used yeast nutrient). It was still fermenting when I racked, but had a gravity of 1.011 already and I was shooting for 1.010. Now it's in the secondary for 4 days and I'm still seeing airlock activity every 20-30 seconds. I'm worried that it's infected, but it smells probably better than any batch I've ever brewed. Any advice? I guess great attenuation is something most do not complain about!

I'm thinking I should just let it fly and settle down. I don't want to bottle too early. I suppose it's just the gravity that worries me.

I'm thinking I should just let it fly and settle down. I don't want to bottle too early. I suppose it's just the gravity that worries me.

Airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. Everything you have said sounds completely normal.

How is airlock activity not a sign of fermentation? Something is producing gas. If it's not the yeast I threw in, then it's either some other wild yeast, or some rogue bacteria, no?

Yes, but with a gravity of 1.011 when I racked it and it's still fermenting 4 days later...well, I guess I was just a little surprised. I won't worry for now and I'll hope for the best

How is airlock activity not a sign of fermentation? Something is producing gas. If it's not the yeast I threw in, then it's either some other wild yeast, or some rogue bacteria, no?

open a bottle of coke and pop an airlock on that. is it fermenting? airlock activity can be nothing more than the co2 coming out of solution from your beer. relax man.

Wow, that actually makes sense! Thanks man! When I came home that day and found my primary all bloated it probably forced CO2 into my wort. Didn't think about that. And I wish I could relax, believe me. I've had sucesses and failures, but the science of brewing is something you just can't anticipate. It's definitely a learning process.

some details would be great, What was the OG? What yeast is in there and did you colonize them first? Sounds like you have a winner there, please share.

From BeerSmith to date. Gravity was actually a bit lower than expected but that was for OG and FG:

Tripel Karmeliet
Belgian Tripel

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/20/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Robert Butler
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.79 %
3.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
2.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.70 %
0.50 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.59 %
2.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.4 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (4 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (4 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
1.00 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 4.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 12.70 %
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.086 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.70 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.97 %
Bitterness: 27.7 IBU Calories: 324 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Double Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 13.75 lb
Sparge Water: 0.00 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Double Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 12.38 qt of water at 135.7 F 125.0 F
30 min Saccrification Add 11.00 qt of water at 183.8 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 11.00 qt of water at 210.4 F 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Double step infusion - for light body beers requiring a protein rest. Used primarily in beers high in unmodified grains or adjuncts.
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.2 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Oh, so the yeast was WLP500 and no, I didn't do anything special with it. I did, however, use yeast nutrient for the first time. So far, I'm a fan. It's cheap and it does a great job apparently.

Back