The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking that the 11th annual Masstoberfest will be held on September 16. Need to confirm with SWMBO before that's a definite.

Please leave your cock at home Melana, this gathering is dysfunctional enough without that sort of thing.

Start planning your brews now, boys and girls.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1500685345.016569.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 25
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1500685362.149748.jpg
    854.2 KB · Views: 30
Quick little 1/2 day trip recently...

20170721_220802.jpg

Hey Az,
I don't know why but I was always under the impression that barracudas were inedible, or if not inedible at least not very good. I'll assume you weren't bringing them home to chum for Apache trout. How do you prep/cook them and what is it like?

Firsthand experience here:
If you catch some HUGE ones, they can sometimes be full of parasites.
This has been my experience in fishing offshore coastal Georgia.

2-2 1/2 footers, you can get a nice, forearm sized, ( normal forearm....:D), filet of meat from them.

And chunked, breaded, and fried was the way I have eaten them.

Hey Az,
I don't know why but I was always under the impression that barracudas were inedible, or if not inedible at least not very good. I'll assume you weren't bringing them home to chum for Apache trout. How do you prep/cook them and what is it like?

The crew wanted to keep them so we let them. I wasn't gonna eat them (Ciguatera toxin)...

The mahi mahi was delicious though...

The crew wanted to keep them so we let them. I wasn't gonna eat them (Ciguatera toxin)...

Ciguatera toxin... (Emphasis added by me.)

PATHOGENESIS — Ciguatera fish poisoning is caused by several distinct toxins, of which ciguatoxin is the best known. These toxins are formed by dinoflagellates of the genus Gambierdiscus, which are single-celled algae-like organisms that grow on and around coral reefs. Gambierdiscus toxicus, which produces ciguatoxin, tends to proliferate on denuded coral surfaces [19].

The dinoflagellates are consumed by large, predatory fish (eg, barracuda, amberjack, moray eel, snapper, and certain types of grouper) that concentrate the toxin in their organs and flesh but are not affected by it. Ciguatera toxin-containing fish do not taste, smell, or appear unusual. Cooking, marinating, freezing, and stewing fish do not destroy the toxins.

Ciguatoxin is a lipid-soluble, heat-stable, acid-resistant neurotoxin. It opens voltage-dependent sodium channels in cell membranes, triggering membrane depolarization. Ciguatoxin exposure in an animal model has caused long-term disruption of cerebral function in association with upregulation of sodium channel expression in astrocytes [20].

Maitotoxin and scaritoxin, other ciguatera associated toxins, increase calcium ion influx through excitable membranes [15] and permeability of sodium channels resulting in norepinephrine and acetylcholine release, respectively [21].

CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS — The patient affected with ciguatera fish poisoning frequently develops the following constellation of clinical findings:

●Gastrointestinal – Gastroenteritis, including vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramping, typically begins three to six hours after eating contaminated fish, but can be delayed up to 30 hours [16,17,22].

●Neurologic – Neurologic abnormalities usually appear 3 to 72 hours after the meal. Clinical findings include peri-oral paresthesias, pruritus without urticaria or erythema, a metallic taste in the mouth, painful dentition, a feeling that the teeth are loose, painful urination, blurred vision, and temperature-related dysesthesias (cold stimuli perceived as hot or producing an abnormal, unpleasant sensation) [22-24]. Temperature-related dysesthesias are regarded by some as a specific finding of ciguatera toxicity although it can also be seen in patients with neurotoxic shellfish poisoning. In the South Pacific, paresis may occur in up to 10 percent of patients [25]. Reversible cerebellar dysfunction also can occur [26].

●Cardiovascular – Cardiovascular signs, including bradycardia, heart block, and hypotension, can occur within hours of consumption [22].

The types and frequencies of presenting signs and symptoms vary according to locale and likely reflect geographic differences in the various toxins and local food habits (eg, ingestion of visceral or reproductive organs where the toxin is concentrated) that may increase toxin consumption (table 1) [4]. In Pacific and Indian Ocean regions, patients often display early neurologic, gastrointestinal, and cardiovascular findings with neurologic findings predominating [27]. Mental status changes, such as hallucinations or giddiness, and ataxia may also be noted [28]. Although infrequent, life-threatening signs including coma and respiratory distress have also been described [25,29].

By contrast, in the Caribbean, ciguatera fish poisoning usually presents with gastroenteritis followed by a neurologic illness without mental status changes and is usually not life-threatening [3,4,22,30,31].

A number of other clinical findings have been associated with ciguatera toxicity as follows:

●Chronic neuropsychiatric illness with fatigue and malaise [32]

●Fibromyalgia [33]

●Premature labor and spontaneous abortion [15]

[Painful sexual intercourse in men and women [34]

●Painful ejaculation in an affected male, followed by dyspareunia in the previously unaffected female
●
[15]

The course of ciguatera fish poisoning is variable. Gastrointestinal and, if present, cardiovascular signs frequently resolve within 24 to 48 hours and rarely persist beyond four days [4,22]. Neurologic abnormalities typically are more persistent, lasting from a few days to several weeks. About 20 percent of patients have neurologic signs and symptoms that persist for months; and up to 2 percent report findings, such as fatigue, weakness, headache, or depression, that last for years [30,35]. However, patients who continue with symptoms beyond one year warrant investigation for other potential etiologies [32].

Several case reports and series describe exacerbation or relapse of ciguatera toxicity in patients who consume alcohol.

Yikes! All that from fish schmutz!

If the painful ejaculation didn't scare you away, you can bet that alcohol making the painful ejaculations worse will ensure no one in THIS crowd will be munching on barracuda.

Brian,
You know what your mother is like when she's frustrated. The words Whack Job ***** From Hell come prominently to mind.

If I told her I wouldn't be able to rototill her secret garden cause I ate some finned cousin of AZ's Apache Trout and now the Hammer of Thor was OOC she'd hunt AZ down and feed his guts to the trout. In front of his kids. You know her. The ***** crazy.

Back