The dreaded grain mill issues thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Nate R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Beware, from what I've read it's a real hassle to adjust the gap for different grain sizes on an MM3.
My MM2, like most 2 roller mills, is easy for that.
Yes, this!!
I have the basic MM3 setup.
It is quite difficult to re set gaps effetcively.
This mighr be user error, or at least 10% or more user error for sure.

Looking back... i wish i had spent a little more for an "all in one" grain mill motor combo. Buy once cry once etc.
Back when i bought it was pushing $600... now i have seen good deals for like $400.
And a bunch of good deals here on the for sale forum.

Saunassa

Rice River Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
Reaction score
I have an MM3, and have no interest in changing the gap that's set for my preferred barley malt crush. I kept my first mill, a two-roller Barley Crusher, primarily for its easy adjustability and use with specialty malts such as rye.
Yep my MM3 came adjusted by former owner and it works fine for me, I am not going to touch it unless I have no choice.

OP
OP
rtstrider

rtstrider

Reaction score
Just received the used replacement mill. The rollers are rusted...At least they tried lol I'll see if the rust can be knocked off with a wire brush later and report back

pocketmon

Reaction score
Reverse the rollers, widen the gap, and/or condition the grain. These are what I learned from this forum.

Mark3885

Heads Up Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Try evaporate rust from harbor freight, I hear it works great and easy to use.

Attachments

• 1231D998-3D65-4D74-9352-3C15F1B40B4C.png
    1231D998-3D65-4D74-9352-3C15F1B40B4C.png
    739 KB · Views: 0

jwa120

Reaction score
Seems like the majority of grain mill issues come down to worn rollers. I use a corona mill, which is pretty much bullet proof, but you don't get the same quality of crush as a roller mill. If I was going to upgrade I would definitely be looking for something with harden rollers. The only lower priced option I know of would be AIH's cereal killer. On the upper end, monster mill offers hardened steel rollers on their pro mills.

The geared mill options look enticing, I assume they would help with the worn rollers issues. I'd would prefer harden rollers over geared, but that's not based on experience.

Hopefully those rusty rollers work out and buy you a year or two before you need to reassess the issue.

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully those rusty rollers work out and buy you a year or two before you need to reassess the issue.
If the roller material is indeed that soft, (wet) conditioning the malt before milling may extend their useful service by a few more years. Also keeps the dust down. ;)

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would think that just running some malt through would knock the rust off.
Use old or cheap malt, that will be thrown away after the rust removal, or kept and clearly marked for just that purpose.
I've put a stainless wire hand brush on my MM2 rollers when a few rust spots had appeared on the bottom of the knurls. Easy peasy.

OP
OP
rtstrider

rtstrider

Reaction score
I was able to knock the rust off with a metal brush. The rollers they sent feel like they have way more bite than the ones I currently have. I do not have allen wrenches or a philips screwdriver at the moment so I am unable to replace the rollers. As a last ditch effort I did try cleaning the "crummy" rollers with 90% rubbing alochol on a rag. Going to leave it out to air out for a bit and will run 12.5lb grain through it this evening to test.

OP
OP
rtstrider

rtstrider

Reaction score
Wanted to report back. I let the grain mill rollers dry off then ran a thin soft rag through it back and forth a few times for giggles. Just double crushed 12.5lb of grain perfectly! Guess that means I'll probably be going the 90% rubbing alcohol route for a bit to see how long this holds. Either way glad I found a nice hack for the meantime!

Bassman2003

Reaction score
I have read positives and negatives about many different mills. Some expensive. I replaced my Barley Crusher after its rollers quite grabbing the grain. Same issue as you are having. I sent the rollers back to the maker and he sent them back "refreshed". They worked for a little while and then stopped grabbing the grain again. It is the use of cheaper materials for the rollers.

I went with the Cereal Killer as as the rollers are made with hardened steel and the price was very affordable. The performance is very nice imho.

Last edited: