The Can Van

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting but it seems like you would have to be canning more beer than the average homebrewer would have ready for canning at one time.

It says any amount.
....but by labeling cans in a similar process to labeling glass bottles, The Can Van is able to can any amount of beer with no minimums necessary, at up to 36 cans per minute.

I can't imagine it is economical for 5 or 10 or even 15 gallons. I'm sure they will be happy to come out for their fee, but do you really think it is going to be cost effective to can 5 gallons?

I wish they would franchise this. I'd love to purchase one and run a side business with it. I have no interest in brewing beer commercially, but would love to be involved in the business somehow.

I wish they would franchise this. I'd love to purchase one and run a side business with it. I have no interest in brewing beer commercially, but would love to be involved in the business somehow.

Why do you need a franchise setup to do this? You could probably set up the same biz on your own...

Didn't the article start off with a minimum of 100,000 cans? That's a lot HBT batches.

No, it says:

"Typically canning requires a minimum order of 100,000 cans, but by labeling cans in a similar process to labeling glass bottles, The Can Van is able to can any amount of beer with no minimums necessary, at up to 36 cans per minute."

"How was your weekend?" "It was ok, went the to gym and cleaned up the apartment, how about you?" "I canned beer with a cop from a van."

Which story wins? Thought so...

No, it says:

"Typically canning requires a minimum order of 100,000 cans, but by labeling cans in a similar process to labeling glass bottles, The Can Van is able to can any amount of beer with no minimums necessary, at up to 36 cans per minute."

By no minimum, I think they mean they are willing to come out for someones 1BBL pilot system...which is small pototaoes on the craft beer scale.

I don't think "by no minimum" means they are willing to drive anywhere to can up your 5-10 gallons of pale ale.

Keep in mind that cans are sold by the pallet load....automatically their minimum order is set at those types of numbers.

hmm, broadbill just got me thinking even more. I would just drive to Brooklyn on the weekends, advertise my location on Twitter, and have the homebrewers come to me. That would be my morning. My afternoon would be spent at the Brooklyn Brewery.

So I ask the Can Van folks what their minimum size was and it's 100 cases or ~8 BBLs. They are open to negotiations, but I only think a very small number of homebrewers with HUGE systems would consider that viable. (still would be cool though!)

It's kind of surprising to me that a producer that has 8 barrels on hand ready for canning would find it economical to pay these folks. It seems like if you'd be canning with any regularity it would be better to own your own facilities or contract out to an established canner (or however breweries do it now). If not, these guys have a great business model.

I talk with them about 1/2 an hour and think its a brilliant idea. I see two types of groups interested in their services.
1) Contract brewers who are are draft only and want to can one-off batches
2) Brewpubs who don't have the space to store cans or a canning line (remember you need to order cans by the truck load).

Since they are targeting the San Francisco area where space is a premium. There are plenty of brewpubs/small brewers who want to be "green" and distribute in stores, but don't have the storage space for pallets of cans.

They are also based out of Devils Canyon Brewery who does a lot of contact brewing/alternating proprietorships. So they are already in the same building as some of their key customers.

I talk with them about 1/2 an hour and think its a brilliant idea. I see two types of groups interested in their services.
1) Contract brewers who are are draft only and want to can one-off batches
2) Brewpubs who don't have the space to store cans or a canning line (remember you need to order cans by the truck load).

Since they are targeting the San Francisco area where space is a premium. There are plenty of brewpubs/small brewers who want to be "green" and distribute in stores, but don't have the storage space for pallets of cans.

They are also based out of Devils Canyon Brewery who does a lot of contact brewing/alternating proprietorships. So they are already in the same building as some of their key customers.

Makes a lot of sense. I had thought of one-offs but space/minimum order issues make sense too. Although I wonder if the Can Van patented whatever labelling innovation allows them to be the only one to do less than a pallet's worth or truck's worth. Otherwise one of their big advantages might get eroded pretty quickly.

Seems to me, that if you are in a cooler climate, cans would end up being a seasonal thing since one of the big points is that many public spaces don't allow glass.

Something like this might do well on the east coast as well...

Seems to me, that if you are in a cooler climate, cans would end up being a seasonal thing since one of the big points is that many public spaces don't allow glass.

Something like this might do well on the east coast as well...

Some of the larger East Coast breweries, with the exception of SA and Red Hook, have started putting some of their product in cans (harpoon, magic hat are the ones that come to mind).

Canning has been a big marketing point for Baxter Brewing in Maine; they are really making a good go of it, but that could be due to the product in the can more than the can itself!

Back