The Beginner's Homebrew Video...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Hogshead

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego
So I put together a great "How To" video on YouTube that outlines the basics of homebrewing.


I hope that it comes in handy for anyone just starting out, or is a good resource for an experienced brewer to pass on to their friends if they have any questions.

I really think that it's above and beyond anything else available on YouTube, I mean you can judge for yourself but I'm really proud of the work I put into it. I'd love your feedback for the potential of an Advanced Video!

Enjoy!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bigfoot

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 20, 2007
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
Location
Aurora, IL
Great idea Hogshead. I'll have to check it out, should come in really handy for the new brewers.
 

Dextersmom

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
429
Reaction score
13
Location
New Haven, CT
good video helped this nub with a few questions.....still i have one more question...It would have been great if you showed the racking process from the primary to the secondary and then the secondary to to the keg or bottling bucket...I still don't quite understand how you're supposed to rack from one to another with it touching oxygen.
 

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
3,672
Reaction score
36
Location
Houston, Texas
When you rack, your beer will contact some oxygen. The idea is to minimize that contact. The best way to do that is to avoid splashing and use a hose that gets well down to the bottom of the vessel you rack into. If you're able, also purge that vessel with CO2 before you start racking.


TL
 

rabidgerbil

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
40
Location
Seattle
Are you really leaving your carboys sitting around for multiple weeks of fermenting and conditioning with nothing keeping light out of them? Or did you just uncover them for the sake of the video?

Also, I am not sure about your steeping methodology. Every recipe that I have ever followed will list a specific amount of time, in a specific amount of water, at a specific temperature. I have never heard of putting the grain into the water cold, and ramping up the heat, and making sure to take them out before they reach 180.

One last minor issue, the video quality is fantastic, but the red lettering that you use to explain some stuff is very hard to read as it overlays an image of your carboys. You might want to consider changing that to something with more contrast, like white or yellow.
 

Geekboy

Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2007
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Excellent Video! I enjoyed it a lot it was very informative. I really liked the song at the end! Beer is Good!
 
OP
H

Hogshead

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego
Of course it is the Basics for Beginners... So if it is your first time, leaving your carboys in sunlight would be BAD! However if they are in a semi-lit room you've got nothing to worry about. I've had lots of excellent brews come out just fine leaving the carboy uncovered in a spare bedroom.

Steeping of course does have some room for experiment. But I've also found that a lot of recipes quote specific times at specific temps because that's just how they were taught. In the video I mention 155 degrees is best, and I still haven't found a chemistry based explanation why dropping the steeping grains into cold water would be a problem. Relax! have a homebrew!

All great Comments though, It'll make me ready for my critics next time when I release the Advanced Version! Thanks!


rabidgerbil said:
Are you really leaving your carboys sitting around for multiple weeks of fermenting and conditioning with nothing keeping light out of them? Or did you just uncover them for the sake of the video?

Also, I am not sure about your steeping methodology. Every recipe that I have ever followed will list a specific amount of time, in a specific amount of water, at a specific temperature. I have never heard of putting the grain into the water cold, and ramping up the heat, and making sure to take them out before they reach 180.

One last minor issue, the video quality is fantastic, but the red lettering that you use to explain some stuff is very hard to read as it overlays an image of your carboys. You might want to consider changing that to something with more contrast, like white or yellow.
 

wihophead

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
700
Reaction score
3
Location
Racine, Wisconsin
rabidgerbil said:
Also, I am not sure about your steeping methodology. Every recipe that I have ever followed will list a specific amount of time, in a specific amount of water, at a specific temperature. I have never heard of putting the grain into the water cold, and ramping up the heat, and making sure to take them out before they reach 180.

I just did a Yuengling clone from Annapolis Home Brew and the instructions were almost identical to the video except they said to remove the grains at 170. I guess the old adage "there is more then one way to skin a cat" holds true with brewing too....;)

Great video....:mug:
 

SuperiorBrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
1,672
Reaction score
45
I think Palmer says to shoot for 160º but anywhere in the 150º-170º is acceptable
 

shafferpilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
1,579
Reaction score
17
Location
Cincinnati OH
One more way to skin that damn cat:

I find it helpful to stab the steeping bag with the probe to see what temp it's actually at. would you believe that 20 minutes in 170 degree wort only gets the grain bag up to about 145? I changed my method to putting the grain in cold water and heating the wort to 150. Then I turn the turkey fryer down to the point where it barely stays lit. It takes about 40 minutes for the wort to hit 170, but the grains in the bag spend most of their time in the 150's and when i pull them they're around 158.

Anyways I like the video! and i love that song:)
 

AFAJ Brew Guy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
692
Reaction score
2
Location
Fernley, NV
Just watched the video! Thanks that was an excellent job. You can read all of the material in the world, but it helps if you can also see it. Cleared a few thing up. Thanks again!
 

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
25,337
Reaction score
4,380
Location
Whitehouse Station
Great video. I've been attempting to make worthy vids for a while now and I never quite get my narration where I like it and I'm too lazy to write a script and voiceover like you did.
 

PseudoChef

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2007
Messages
3,401
Reaction score
117
Location
West Chicago 'Burbs
Great video, I really hope you can turn a lot of new homebrewers onto the hobby with this.

Since you take criticism well, I'll offer my advice.

1.) I would hesitate to tell beginners that the hydrometer's primary use is for measuring alcohol content (and then you never followed up with that point). The most important use of a hydrometer and also the most overlooked one is the fact that it is used to tell how fermentation is progressing and if it is complete or not. Hang around this board enough and you'll be amazed at (what seems) how many people don't know the true function of the hydrometer.

2.) I know that everyone prefers kegs, but maybe about 1% of all beginners are going to have them. It may not hurt to show them the aspects of priming and bottling, even if it's just a six pack.

Keep up the good work!
 

ohiobrewtus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
7,762
Reaction score
74
Location
Ohio
Good work. This is much better than most of the beginner videos available on YouTube.
 

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
25,337
Reaction score
4,380
Location
Whitehouse Station
The truth is, no matter how complete a video is, there are hundreds of small nuances that can be picked apart. Some people want more detail, some want less. You'll use a dry yeast and people will point out how inferior it is. You'll use oxygen and you'll argue that it's overkill. Etc... there are a lot of aspects of brewing that are highly debated. It would be annoying to acknowledge those points of debate in such a high level beginner video. Youtube has a limit of 10 minutes afterall and that's pushing the limits of human attention span anyway.
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,297
Reaction score
3,719
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
Wow, I'm impressed. This has to be the best basic/introductory video I've seen.

It should be a sticky on the beginners forum.

The only thing I think it lacks is a bigger mention of the importance of sanitation.


I know it is difficult to cram everything into the youtube limit.

Good job.
 
OP
H

Hogshead

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego
I almost left out the hydrometer part completely, because it is a basics video after all. But then I thought, if I didn't even mention it then someone maybe following along might forget to take that initial reading. And how frustrating would it be to get to the bottling process or even crack open that first beer, (after months of reading and forum blogging) and regret not having that initial reading???

As for the kegging part at the end, I'm ashamed it didn't including the bottling process... The only reason it didn't is because I've been kegging long enough that I didn't have any photos or video to do the voiceover on... I'm actually planning on "going back to my roots" for a batch, and just bottle for sh*ts and giggles (AND FOR THE PICS AND VIDEOS MOSTLY) even if it's just a six pack!

I love the criticism, because I'm so proud of the job I did that my next video can only get better! Thanks for the feedback!



PseudoChef said:
Great video, I really hope you can turn a lot of new homebrewers onto the hobby with this.

Since you take criticism well, I'll offer my advice.

1.) I would hesitate to tell beginners that the hydrometer's primary use is for measuring alcohol content (and then you never followed up with that point). The most important use of a hydrometer and also the most overlooked one is the fact that it is used to tell how fermentation is progressing and if it is complete or not. Hang around this board enough and you'll be amazed at (what seems) how many people don't know the true function of the hydrometer.

2.) I know that everyone prefers kegs, but maybe about 1% of all beginners are going to have them. It may not hurt to show them the aspects of priming and bottling, even if it's just a six pack.

Keep up the good work!
 
OP
H

Hogshead

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego
Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself... Looks as though you have some experience with YouTube. Love your website too.

Bobby_M said:
The truth is, no matter how complete a video is, there are hundreds of small nuances that can be picked apart. Some people want more detail, some want less. You'll use a dry yeast and people will point out how inferior it is. You'll use oxygen and you'll argue that it's overkill. Etc... there are a lot of aspects of brewing that are highly debated. It would be annoying to acknowledge those points of debate in such a high level beginner video. Youtube has a limit of 10 minutes afterall and that's pushing the limits of human attention span anyway.
 

K G Wright

New Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
For coming in under 10 minutes, it's an OUTSTANDING video! It made me want to go start a new batch watching it. Now I can vicariously brew at work. The criticisms are valid, but are totally minor. I'll be very much looking forward to your next video, or maybe you could just do a very short one on bottling? This one should be stickied for sure. Finally, I have a quick visual tool I can refer my brewing friends to instead of having to explain things over and over. Thanks a lot for making it available Hogshead! :mug:
 

Dr Vorlauf

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
534
Reaction score
2
Location
Lehigh Valley,PA
Great video. If I spill my yeast on the floor can I just remove the bird feathers and dirt and pitch it?

Only joking major Prost on this thread.
 
OP
H

Hogshead

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego
Dr Vorlauf said:
Great video. If I spill my yeast on the floor can I just remove the bird feathers and dirt and pitch it?

Only joking major Prost on this thread.
Awesome! I love tongue in cheek. (I hope that's what that was) And well I suppose I should add 1: a bottling segment. 2: all grain mashing. 3: more descriptive racking technique. 4: reiterate the importance of cleaning and sanitizing. (it is for beginners after all)

All in all however, I still can't find a better video on YouTube. And I challenge you to try!

Seriously, imitation is that highest form of flattery- so don't be surprised if I assimilate techniques of videos posted to this thread!!!
 

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
25,337
Reaction score
4,380
Location
Whitehouse Station
I like the idea of going after an absolute noob and showing the whole process at a high level. When I made my videos, my intended audience was fellow homebrewers at about the same level who might pick up little nuance tips. For example, I'd never expect an extract brewer to be able to brew AG just after watching my all grain vids.

I'd just say make a lot of videos on all different brewing topics. The more stuff out there the better.
 

SuperiorBrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
1,672
Reaction score
45
Google Video does not have the 10 minute limit. There are full length movies on there that are 2 hours long.

For example, here's the full Alton Brown Beer Episode
[gvideo]2852527078421700337[/gvideo]
 

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
25,337
Reaction score
4,380
Location
Whitehouse Station
They used to grant unlimited time to "director" accounts but now there's an across the board 10 minute limit no matter what the account. Those that made it in before the cutoff retained their "unlimit".
 
OP
H

Hogshead

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego
SuperiorBrew said:
Google Video does not have the 10 minute limit. There are full length movies on there that are 2 hours long.

For example, here's the full Alton Brown Beer Episode
First off, I think you're comparing my video to a commercially produced video for the food network. And I'm okay with that, um even ecstatic about it, and well flattered... Because maybe mine really is that good, or at least I'd like to believe it is.

Secondly, Google (whom I think will someday take over the world, and I'm all right with that) bought out YouTube a few years ago. The 20 minute video in question is a google post (and probably against copyright laws) while my YouTube video is and will be restricted to the 10 minute rule...

Jah said:
What size stock pot are you using in the video?
Not sure anymore, but it boils 3 gallons easily and 4 if you don't mind a "little" boil over from time to time... (I got it at Costco for like $30 bucks.) It's a foot tall and 13 inches across...

Reminds me of a joke, "She laughed when I said 3 inches, she didn't know I talking diameter..." ba da chum...
 

Jah

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
Location
Fort Worth, Texas
Hogshead said:
First off, I think you're comparing my video to a commercially produced video for the food network. And I'm okay with that, um even ecstatic about it, and well flattered... Because mine really is that good, or at least I'd like to believe it is.

Secondly, Google (whom I think will someday take over the world, and I'm all right with that) bought out YouTube a few years ago. The 20 minute video in question is a google post (and probably against copyright laws) while my YouTube video is and will be restricted to the 10 minute rule...



Not sure anymore, but it boils 3 gallons easily and 4 if you don't mind a "little" boil over from time to time... (I got it at Costco for like $30 bucks.) It's a foot tall and 13 inches across...

Reminds me of a joke, "She laughed when I said 3 inches, she didn't know I talking diameter..." ba da chum...



hey man thanks for the video its awesome and to beginners like myself it covers alot of basis that most take for granted. everyone who is being so critical have probably been brewing for a siginificant amount of time and are being just that... critical. people should just appriciate it for what it is and if they feel they can do better then by all means i would like to see what they have. until then thanks man and keep up the good work :mug:
 

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
25,337
Reaction score
4,380
Location
Whitehouse Station
Ok, I just have to say it. The video would be like 10% better if you wouldn't keep telling us how great it is. Let it speak for itself and have some humble pie.
 
OP
H

Hogshead

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego
Bobby_M said:
Ok, I just have to say it. The video would be like 10% better if you wouldn't keep telling us how great it is. Let it speak for itself and have some humble pie.
I'm sorry, I started this thread thinking that there would need to be a little boasting in order to evoke the competitive spirit of other, um better, videos.

I only wanted to provoke others into posting great videos about homebrewing, but you're right... I'm sorry if I came across as perceiving my video as the most superior...
Bobby_M rules! (there, is that better...?)

No seriously, you've got great videos. :p

did I mention I married a woman from NJ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
74,770
Reaction score
12,522
Location
UP/Snowbird in Florida
Hogshead said:
I'm sorry, I started this thread thinking that there would need to be a little boasting in order to evoke the competitive spirit of other, um better, videos.

I only wanted to provoke others into posting great videos about homebrewing, but you're right... I'm sorry if I came across as perceiving my video as the most superior... BobbyFromNJ has some very great videos, especially about bottling (which I left out of my video) just *click here for the link* Bobby_M rules! (there, is that better...?)
I don't know- I make some great beers. But I don't think I've ever joined a homebrew forum to boast to everyone that my beer is the world's best in order to encourage them to make better beers.

I personally think over boasting about my achievements makes me sound pompous as well as would be insulting to some of the fantastic brewers and professional brewers we have here. My beers are good, but definitely could use some improvements. I'm here to learn from the others as much as I am to help. Maybe making beer videos is different than making beer, though.

I'm sure it's a good video (I didn't watch the whole thing) and we appreciate you sharing it. I'm positive that it will be a great learning tool for new brewers.
 

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Just let the video speak for itself. We're a smart group here and we like quality. If something is noteworthy, it will be praised accordingly. Pimping your contributions will only be counterproductive. Just keep the contributions coming so we can stay positive & productive as a community...
 
OP
H

Hogshead

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego
YooperBrew said:
I don't think I've ever joined a homebrew forum to boast to everyone that my beer is the world's best in order to encourage them to make better beers.
You're telling me that if you could "send" a homebrewed beer through the internet right here into my living room so I could try it, first hand, without any effort on your part besides the initial work you put into it, to as many people as wanted to try it, across the entire world... Your selling point for it would be, "ahhh it's allright... could be better..?!" Or would rather actually say "hell yea, I worked hard on this beer- and I think you'll enjoy every last drop of it..." and if not, then at least tell me why.

YooperBrew said:
I personally think over boasting about my achievements makes me sound pompous as well as would be insulting to some of the fantastic brewers and professional brewers we have here.
Really? I think Stone Brewing here in Southern Cali made a fortune off their marketing campaign with "Arrogant Bastard Ale" Not that it isn't a wonderful beer, but I know lots of people who think it's just awful. That's the great thing about art or taste, everyone appreciates something different. By boasting about one's achievements it opens the door to a little humility enforced by critique... I'm not saying, "please give me a hard time for actually thinking I made something of value nowadays in world of mediocrity, and that I actually take pride in the work I do." I just thought with so many of the fantastic brewers and professional brewers we have here that I'd get some advice and pointers and actual feedback about the video instead of being told that i think too much of myself.

But I admit I need some Humble pie. Please serve it to me. (you know, sarcasm never really comes across in writing like I want it to.)

Soulive said:
Just let the video speak for itself. We're a smart group here and we like quality. If something is noteworthy, it will be praised accordingly. Pimping your contributions will only be counterproductive. Just keep the contributions coming so we can stay positive & productive as a community...
I guess by now you realized I wasn't looking for praise. I have enough confidence, probably too much- I wanted the good old fashion criticism that goes along with letting someone judge your art, or performance, and find that raison d’être of pouring my hard work into something I love.

By the way though, a lot of these posts have given me praise, and I really do appreciate it!
I want the good and the bad, I really do... if you like it- good, what can I do better? if you don't like it, good! What can I do better? And here I thought that was the reason of joining a homebrew forum.

But what I don't understand is why I shouldn't be proud of the job I did. If you don't like it, fine. Just tell me why.
 

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
12,443
Reaction score
934
Location
St. Louis, MO
[
Hogshead said:
So I put together a great "How To" video on YouTube that outlines the basics of homebrewing.

...I really think that it's above and beyond anything else available on YouTube...
You asked for critique so here goes… :D

Not bad, but it seems to skip over the basics of “what is beer and how is it made?” and goes right to “how to steep specialty grains”. It seems to assume people have some rudimentary knowledge of Homebrewing.

What if I don’t know what “specialty grains” are or what “wort” is. An instruction video should do three things:
1) Outline at a high level what you’re about to teach.
2) Teach. (And always give definitions for specific terms like wort)
3) Review what was just taught

Maybe an introductory overview about what goes into making beer: Water, malts and/or sugar, hops, yeast. (and what each of these components do in the creation of beer)

You talk about lag times of yeast without ever talking about what yeast is and its purpose in brewing.

I like the hops portion. Now that’s a “beginners lesson” in what hops are and how they work.

I think the video will be a good “picture reference” for folks who have already ready a basics book like “Joy of”, but for someone who wakes up and asks “I wonder how a person would make homemade beer?”, I don’t know if an 8 minute video (from boil to keg) can be basic, and yet comprehensive enough.

Maybe if you break it up to a series of 5-minute videos:
A) An overview of what beer is and the stages it goes through to become beer.
B) What wort is and how it’s made (from fresh water through hops additions to cool down)
C) Aeration, transfer and overview of fermentation including discussion on yeast.
D) Progress video on stages of fermentation and discussion on what’s going on with the beer.
E) Packaging the final product.

A nice effort and nice looking beer.
 
Top