The beer that embodies Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summa_Brewologica

Reaction score
If aliens came down and could only communicate by the smell and taste of beer, which beer would you use to explain and describe Christmas?

I have tried tons of Christmas beers and nothing describes Christmas more, to me, than Chimay Grande Reserve or St Bernardus Christmas Ale.

Nothing comes close.

I know Chimay isn’t a Christmas beer but to me it checks all the boxes.

What would others bring forward to communicate?

12 Dogs of Christmas, I never had the actual beer but made a clone of it and it has nutmeg, clove and cinnamon (if memory serves) and a great malty backbone, it’s like Christmas in a glass.

6F1B69E8-3B32-4946-B34C-AAE4FFE3DC09.jpeg

Wouldn't a beer with Spruce Tips do it for Christmas? IDK, my experience with spices in beer hasn't been exactly positive as either brewer or drinker, so I am guessing here.

What about Barley Wine or Imperial Stout?
There is no right or wrong answer. This is purely subjective. Just whatever beer you’ve had that paints that picture.
It doesn’t have to communicate with the aliens.

Maybe you had a really memorable Christmas with an ipa leftover from summer and so now that beer is what you associate with Christmas.

Wouldn't a beer with Spruce Tips do it for Christmas? IDK, my experience with spices in beer hasn't been exactly positive as either brewer or drinker, so I am guessing here.

What about Barley Wine or Imperial Stout?

Ha..I just had a beer this evening with "Spruce Tips and Roasted Malt Barley" or something like that, categorized as a Winter Ale with their usual mascot sporting a Santa hat and pointy ears.

https://einstokbeer.com/our-brews/icelandic-winter-ale/

For me it's Deschutes Jubelale. I bought it the first holiday season after I turned 21 and it's been a yearly tradition for me ever since. In my opinion winter beers are all about the dark fruit and slight alcohol warmth.

Winter Warmer or Mad Elf. I dont think I've ever bought either, but somone always ends up bringing one of the two to my family's Christmas Eve party.

I usually have a couple bottles of barleywine, like Sierra Nevada Bigfoot on hand for Christmas.

I’ve not been a fan of most of the HSV concoctions.

For a great Christmas drink put a few candy canes into a bottle of vodka. They will dissolve pretty quickly and you’ll have candy cane flavored vodka.

If we’re moving off beer, then it’s Coquito for me. For those not familiar, it’s a coconut infused rum eggnog-ish drink.

Occasionally, I’ll make it from scratch. But squeezing rum through freshly grated coconut in a cheese cloth bag is a PITA.

I just moved down to Richmond from northern Virginia. One of the local breweries is making Imperial Gingerbread Stout that's part of their Christmas line up.

Made with baby ginger from Casselmonte Farm and wildflower honey from Bearer Farms, Hardywood Gingerbread Stout captures the terroir of Central Virginia in a rich, creamy libation with a velvety mouthfeel and an intriguing evolution of notes from milk chocolate and vanilla, to honeycomb and cinnamon, to a snap of ginger in the finish. We hope Hardywood Gingerbread Stout contributes to your merriment this season.

Back