The Audiophile Revival Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmill

Reaction score
I know I have seen some audio-related threads floating around, but haven't seen any taking off or solely gear-related.

Post your audio gear here. Turntables, headphones, speakers, DACs and amps. All welcome.

My uncle just gave me a Teac reel to reel. Cool as hell, right? I'm not so sure. Although it would look awesome in my living room, I don't think I'll keep it. Minimum $60 for new blank tapes. NOS is a crapshoot. You can however, buy tapes that are recorded direct-from-the master and supposed sound far, far superior to any other audio format. For $450 each. And there are only about 20 titles available. Guess I'll stick with vinyl for now.

This youtuber used to have the BEST audio. Not sure how that works, since the audio is getting compressed going into youtube. I'm a subscriber. He got hit by copyright lawyers and had to pull a ton of his videos. Still, I'm amazed how well his uploads sound.

I sold boxes of all my albums at a garage sale for about $10 twenty yrs ago. Man, I'd love to get all that back now.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgpOSNg8TdE[/ame]

My uncle just gave me a Teac reel to reel. Cool as hell, right? I'm not so sure. Although it would look awesome in my living room, I don't think I'll keep it. Minimum $60 for new blank tapes. NOS is a crapshoot. You can however, buy tapes that are recorded direct-from-the master and supposed sound far, far superior to any other audio format. For $450 each. And there are only about 20 titles available. Guess I'll stick with vinyl for now.

There are small pockets of shops with parts and reels. But yeah, a little cost prohibitive to keep one of those around and actually enjoy it.

Surprised that we don't see more DYI speakers on HBT. Here are mine!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1482374196.468828.jpg

MADISOUND TWEETER
ScanSpeak Classic D2905/9500 1" Tweeter Textile Dome
Cap from Parts Express 12µF (2209hz @ 6ohms) Part # 027-246

MID/WOOFER from PARTS EXPRESS
Dayton Audio RS180-8 7" Reference Woofer
0.56mH coil (2260hz @ 8 ohm) Part # 255-232
(high pass xover is provided by the Denon Receiver)

10" SUBWOOFERS
(low pass xover is provided by the Denon Receiver)
Peerless by Tymphany 830668 10" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer
PARTS EXPRESS Part # 264-1110

Nice speakers m1!

here's my DIY speakers...Tv cabinet is DIY too

Pioneer TAD 1601a 15" midwoofer, JBL2441 compressions drivers on 500Hz EdgarHorns, Fane ST5022 horn tweeters. Designed the cabinets with the help of Dr. Bruce Edgar, constructed the cabinets from an inner HDF and outer MDF/birch outer. Braced up inside. Crossovers are very simple 1st order, 1st order, 2nd (top to bottom), all caps and inductors are NOS GE. I have everything run right now by an intergrated el34 (mullard) tube amp. Almost forget...a B&W sub sitting in the corner as well.

I sued to have some pretty complicated systems, (tri-amp, electronic crossover, room eq, etc, etc)...but at are new house just give me simple and useful. That's now what I've got.

edgarhorns_zpsdbfgayis.jpg

Didn't know we had an audiophile thread. Looking to do some diy speakers this year. Currently my speaker collection consists of B&W 602 S2, JBL L1, a/d/s L300C, klipsch KLF10, KG1.2, C7, KG2.2. I sold a pair of a/d/s L780 recently.

Feel the need to check in here too.

HT is a B&W 7.1 setup (603/602 S1), I have a pair of Mission MS50s with a miniwatt n3 tube amp and musicstreamer II DAC that is a phenomenal little desktop/bookshelf setup. Also have a pair of Audio Engine P4's that I swap with the Missions. For the old stuff, a Bang and Olufsen Beocenter system (amp, turntable and CD) and a McIntosh integrated amp that sadly has seen better days.

So, how about some details on those homebrew speakers? Were they kits? Cabinet plans?

I built a Bottlehead pre and phono pre. I'm thinking about a pair of their mono blocks and some full range, high efficiency drivers.

Adcom GFA 555 power amp, Adcom GFP 555 pre amp, Raga P2 Turntable, Klipsch Chorus loudspeakers, Grado RS -1 headphones.

So, how about some details on those homebrew speakers? Were they kits? Cabinet plans?

I don't build kit speakers... All the drivers came from Parts Express and Madisound.

I build speakers out of 3/4" MDF and model the cabinet volumes with a program called WinISD (it's the BeerSmith of speaker building... or at least the ProMash)

The crossovers started as 3 way electronic (Rane) but I converted to passive for simplicity. The 10" subs are crossed over electronically using the x-over in the Denon receiver.

Yamaha RX-Z9, B&W DM604 s2, Klipsch sub, and a series of RCA bookshelf surrounds. Xbox 1 for cd player, Roku for streamed audio.

How do you like Tidal. I currently use Google Play Family. While I'm not happy with the quality...the selection suits my musical taste quite well...having a family plan is also a big plus.

I built a Bottlehead pre and phono pre. I'm thinking about a pair of their mono blocks and some full range, high efficiency drivers.

Updated the other post to include some details on the speaker components. guys at audioasylum and audiocircle were always very knowledgeable and helpful...but I haven't visited either of those places in over a decade. You do have to sift through some stuff...but ultimately you can find good people/information.

How do you like Tidal. I currently use Google Play Family. While I'm not happy with the quality...the selection suits my musical taste quite well...having a family plan is also a big plus.

I don't use it. We either use internet radio (iHeart), spotify, or just listen to a collection of CD's.

I am kicking myself for ripping all of my cds before leaving for college and throwing out all the physical copies. Now I am stuck with mediocre quality rips of 100+ gbs of music.

Back