The alcohols of Elder Scrolls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underdogadam

Reaction score
Anyone have any more insight to what boozes where consumed in the elder scrolls series? they have wines, meads, ales, and "beers", also the infamous skooma, but i don't foresee myself making opium ale anytime too soon...

i'd love to make a brew especially for the release of Skyrim on 11.11.11, but i can't seem to find anymore lure about the ale's they may have been drinking...

thoughts? does anyone here have a clue what i'm talking about?

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!

Sorry, don't have anything of value to add to this thread. But boy, am I looking forward to Skyrim coming out. Might have to take a week off work...

You might look into Fantasy Brewmasters. They had a competition for a Dwarven Ale a little while back. On the Facebook page I saw the owner saying that they would be releasing the recipe at some point, but not quite yet. Maybe searching for fantasy brewmasters or dwarven ale would find you something close. Yes, I know the dwemer all died off per Morrowind, but ancient recipes can be fun, right? :p

You are brewing the 11/11/11 old ale, yes?

I'm in for the skooma recipe. We need to draft one up. I'm thinking at least a 1.150 OG gruit with ample quantities of every poisonous and hallucinogenic herb we can think of. Sweet moon sugar!

edit: that makes me think, bottles primed with moon sugar would be very authentic.

It should have an OG of 1.111, and a FG of 1.011. You should use 11 different hops. I would say instead of a primary and secondary fermentation, should should take it out to 11 vessels, but there isn't a word for 11-ary. Perhaps "durimary"?

It should be flavored with bloodgrass and wispstalk cap.

This totally made my day! I haven't been on here in forever, but brewing up a beer for Skyrim is such a great idea! Although, I may be one who passes on the skooma...:drunk:

I'm thinking less, in honor of the 11.11.11, and more, an attempt to recreate a brew they would have drank in the magical world.

of course, second best, if no lure exists about the actual ales, i will have to do the 11.11.11 brew.

could always do an 11.11.11 brew inspired by Pliny the Elder, call it, Pliny the Elder Scrolls... too many options. not enough actually documentation on the barleywines of skyrim... Bungler's Bane Barleywine would be quality though.

Ok,I'll bite,what the hell is skyrim?Sounds like something you could buy in the v.i.p. of a strip club.

Ok,I'll bite,what the hell is skyrim?Sounds like something you could buy in the v.i.p. of a strip club.

It's Elder Scrolls 5. The fourth was Oblivion and that game was fantastic. It's a fantasy RPG type game with a totally open world, you can do whatever you want. If you've ever heard of/played Fallout 3 it's similar and made by the same people.

The only game I still fire up the xbox for. I just saw the Skyrim trailer, definitely need to brew something dragonish.

_

The only game I still fire up the xbox for. I just saw the Skyrim trailer, definitely need to brew something dragonish.

_

Dragonfruit Ale seems appropriate

dragon_fruit17.jpg

since we can't seem to figure out a true recipe, does anyone have documentation on converting their made up flowers and fungus to equivilants in real life? like, i'd probably start work on a bunglars bane barleywine if i could figure out the most earthly equivilent to Bunglars bane...

It should have an OG of 1.111, and a FG of 1.011. You should use 11 different hops. I would say instead of a primary and secondary fermentation, should should take it out to 11 vessels, but there isn't a word for 11-ary. Perhaps "durimary"?

It should be flavored with bloodgrass and wispstalk cap.

edgeofblade, I find it interesting that your post regarding the 11's was your 111th post.

That is all.

Man i cant wait till Skyrim comes out that game look f**king awesome. subscribed lets see what this thread comes up with!!!!!!!:rockin:

ok, so we've made moves. we put some deep thought into this one. I was almost going to go off and try to do that bunglers bane barley wine, but i would have had to substitute bunglers bane for a real life shelf mushroom, and then dilute it a bit becuase i only have 5 months to let it sit.

so my fellow skyrim friends sat down with me last night and we talked it out. Where is skyrim? it has all types of lands, but there are huge, mountainous peaks. who inhabits skyrim? it is highly dense with dwarves and nords. (so i read).

Dwarven Ale. of course. the dwarves are a dying society, in the grand scheme of things, but they have also reached genius levels of mechanical engineering, understanding the land, and brewing a great beer.

In thier frosty, dark climate, they were surviving on root vegetables. clearly. like the russians do. I'm sure there is some potato in Dwarven Ale, to add sugars, but it wouldn't just be a plain potato. it would be a purple potato. A group of people who drink beer instead of water, because it's cleaner at the time, were also smart enough to use root veggies that not only added sugars, but nutrients to their day. This is why i also believe they made and used Beet sugar. And who knows, something about this tells me they took that even further, purchance even mashed with purple carrots. i don't know. maybe that's a step too far. somebody stop me...

oh and they clearly imported a bunch of 2-row barley from England.

But damn, they did not have hops! what did they do to preserve!!!
we put our heads together and though...ok...preservatives... lets go:

-juniper berries
-milk thistle
-heather
-spruce

There is definitely going to be milk thistle, heather, and spruce in skyrim. they all fit the land. though spruce probably won't be an actual item you can pick. juniper berries might be to strong of a flavor. milk thistle or heather. then i googled, and found this forum post in a different forum...

"I was just playing Morrowind and in one of the earlier Mage's Guild quests you get to read up about flowers. Apparently it isn't known where Heather comes from but it is rumored to be in Skyrim. I just hope the lore is accurate, it'd be neat considering all the hints."

i don't know why someone thought that was worthy of starting a thread on a gaming website, but damn i'm glad they did. because thats the final ingredient. Dwarven Ale is a heather ale!

so any suggestions on a yeast?

Dwarven Ale is a heather ale! so any suggestions on a yeast?

Without a doubt, the yeast you want is wy1275 thames valley. This yeast leaves a noticeable mineral character to the beer which is perfect for a "dwarven ale." It would also go well with heather tips.

Haven't played any of the elder scrolls games in years, though I sure enjoyed them when I did.

I haven't played the elder scrolls but I'm going to have to check it out, let's hope the "flu"
is just a short term "illness"

Back