The 2016 NHC - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't read the rules close enough to realize that judging happened at different times based on the location. my ipa probably would score a little better had i sent it to a different location...instead it has to sit in a bottle for a few more weeks.

All 3 sites show as 'Verifying' on the website as of today

Saw that this morning, honestly I'm not sure why I'm watching that page so closely. I don't plan to ribbon, I just really want to see my feedback sheets.

What do they have to verify? Most of the categories have a mini-BOS to determine the winners so they scores don't really matter,

It's nice that they are releasing the results as soon as they are verified this year. In past years, they waited until every regional comp was help and verified before releasing.

What do they have to verify? Most of the categories have a mini-BOS to determine the winners so they scores don't really matter,

There are occasional errors. Regions had released results in the past and then realized there was an error and had to go back and correct the posted results with what it was suppose to be. Very rare I think, but still, you don't want to post someone as advancing and then have to tell them they didn't make it.

I think they just want to be as careful and accurate as they can.

I hate waiting too though and am in the "refresh camp" with many of you. Would love to see them posted today before the weekend. But, I am sure they are getting at them as quickly and accurately as possible.

It's nice that they are releasing the results as soon as they are verified this year. In past years, they waited until every regional comp was help and verified before releasing.

I think they started releasing them earlier (once verified) last year...or possibly in 2014. It was never that big of a deal to me because I've always entered in Denver and they always tend to be one of the last sites to judge. But I agree, it's good that they're posting them earlier and not torturing the participants from the early judging sites.

There are occasional errors...
I think they just want to be as careful and accurate as they can.

Yup. I'm sure you recall two years ago when a steward wrote down wrong number and your beer didn't advance until I found the error a few days later.
The year before that I had a scoresheet marked with "3" but name wasn't on list as advancing. Told cover sheet was in error. At Finals the first round judges distinctly remembered it *had* finished 3rd.

Also, Janis is probably training her replacement at same time, so that would take longer.

Good luck to everyone dealing with the waiting...

I think they started releasing them earlier (once verified) last year...or possibly in 2014.

From my recollection, it was last year. I like that method. I'm sure what they're doing is reviewing scoresheets, flight summaries, etc. to verify that everything agrees and making sure that if something placed, it hit the minimum score to advance. Now I'm just waiting for next weekend for my site to get judged to start waiting to refresh lol. There's a chance I'll find out next weekend if I'm able to stick around until judging is finished.

Shucks, nothing for me. First time entering NHC tho, so wasn't expecting much.

77 entries in Specialty category in NYC!? Crazy.

It's rather annoying that all the work done to turn Specialty Beer into less of a sh**show by breaking it up was undone and back to same old same old.

Next year I'm entering somewhere that judges sooner. Being one of the last is awful.

Sweet - 3 for 5 at St. Louis. I will take that. Dortmunder, Czech Dark Lager and American Blonde made it. Scottish Heavy and Helles didn't make it through.

Congrats! And since you have nothing competing against me, good luck in the finals :D

I'm 1 for 3 in Seattle. Amazingly enough i placed 2nd in Category 26 (26D) with my Pale Ale w/Sweet Orange Peel, Oatmeal & Wheat. But yeah, 61 entries is ridiculous!! I didn't realize that would be such a cluster, and the only reason I entered that beer is because another wasn't ready.

Yeah, I stupidly entered my 100% Brett B Red as Brett Beer without thinking that it'd be going into the Specialty Sh**show. It's a damned good beer, but not sure it'll hold against that wide of competition. My other entries (Witbier, Irish Stout, Dark Mild, Ordinary Bitter) I'd say may have better chances.

Yeah, I stupidly entered my 100% Brett B Red as Brett Beer without thinking that it'd be going into the Specialty Sh**show. It's a damned good beer, but not sure it'll hold against that wide of competition. My other entries (Witbier, Irish Stout, Dark Mild, Ordinary Bitter) I'd say may have better chances.

Yes, entered a Peach Sour as a Wild Specialty Beer. It won a gold recently in a comp that was using the 2015 guidelines as-is. I'll wait to see what my score is in this one to see how upset I am, haha.

Yes, entered a Peach Sour as a Wild Specialty Beer. It won a gold recently in a comp that was using the 2015 guidelines as-is. I'll wait to see what my score is in this one to see how upset I am, haha.

It seems every year I average 40 on my scores, every year all (or almost all) my entries make mini-BOS, and yet I've never had anything advance. So I'm hoping at least SOMETHING makes it through.

Or given the way everything else is going this year, maybe better than that. Who knows.

Except for the cluster f.. category 26. 53 entries in Indianapolis, while a handful of others had 10 or less. How'd they not see that coming?

Hoping for a better distribution in St Louis . . . ;)
I take that back. Best idea ever!

Hehe . . . 2/64 in St Louis with a whiskey barrel aged Stingo.

Also won cat 17 with a Belgian IPA

The $hit smile on my face is going to last at least a month. I be happy and :drunk:!

I judged the Czech Dark Lager. It was the only one of those. It was pretty good!

Cool..... It is the only one I have ever brewed:) It did well at Drunk Monk a couple weeks ago too. Never had one myself, so I don't even know what to compare it to..... Since I like german/czech lagers, I Just read the new guidelines and shot from the hip on it.

Cool..... It is the only one I have ever brewed:) It did well at Drunk Monk a couple weeks ago too. Never had one myself, so I don't even know what to compare it to..... Since I like german/czech lagers, I Just read the new guidelines and shot from the hip on it.

I've brewed Dark Czech Lagers twice, once with a decoction and once without. Mine was based on the recipe in Stan Hieronymus's Hop book. I had the opportunity to taste the beer the recipe was based on last year and I was in the ballpark.

I take that back. Best idea ever!

Hehe . . . 2/64 in St Louis with a whiskey barrel aged Stingo.

Also won cat 17 with a Belgian IPA

The $hit smile on my face is going to last at least a month. I be happy and :drunk:!

Nice work! I'd love to see your recipe for this (Belgian IPA) if you're interested in sharing. You know, they say the truly great brewers never hesitate to share recipes and information. Drop me a line if you post it.

Waiting on nashville. I agree going last sucks. Brau, I jumped in with a northeast style ipa loosely based off your recipe. I too look to get no where with it but you don't know till u try!

I had one of two advance. But the one I expected to advance didn't and the one I didn't did. The one I expected to advance had won a BOS six weeks earlier and scored a 27 in St. Louis. This reminds me why I stopped entering comps.

Nice work! I'd love to see your recipe for this (Belgian IPA) if you're interested in sharing. You know, they say the truly great brewers never hesitate to share recipes and information. Drop me a line if you post it.
At work now, but it was Vienna malt based, hopped with a lot of Mosaic and fermented with a blend of Wyeast Belgian and French Saison yeast strains.

Just noticed that my Barrel Stingo was sandwiched between a Brett Beer and a Mixed Fermentation Sour in St Louis. Have to wonder what it was like sitting at that mini-BOS table? Couldn't have been easy.

At work now, but it was Vienna malt based, hopped with a lot of Mosaic and fermented with a blend of Wyeast Belgian and French Saison yeast strains.

Just noticed that my Barrel Stingo was sandwiched between a Brett Beer and a Mixed Fermentation Sour in St Louis. Have to wonder what it was like sitting at that mini-BOS table? Couldn't have been easy.

Sounds interesting. Would love to see the full specs on it. Been looking for a good Belgian IPA recipe.

Well, looks like I'll have to wait even longer to hear Nashville's results!

Thanks for submitting your entries to the Nashville judging center, and/or volunteering for the competition.

The judging for your competition began last weekend, but the judges were unable to judge all of the entries during that time. The competition organizers are doing their best to complete the judging as soon as possible this week. When all of the entries have been judged, the results will be verified by the AHA. You can anticipate about a week or longer after the conclusion of the judging for verification to be complete.

All score sheets from the competition are sent out by the Nashville competition organizers one to two weeks following the conclusion of the judging.

You will be notified again by email when the results from your competition are posted on the Winners page of the AHA website.

After all 12 First Round competitions are complete, your results—with a downloadable letter and any certificates earned by your entries’ scores—will be available in your record on the competition site. You will receive an email telling you when you can log into your record for this information.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,

John Moorhead, Director
Janis Gross, Director
National Homebrew Competition

Back