Thank God for the ABA Therapist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
The beginning,
I have a child that is autistic child high on the spectrum but still autistic. We were able to get qualified for an Applied Behavior Analysis Therapist to come work with us. He worked with us throughout the summer with great results. So we decided to have the therapist work with Isaac primarily at school so he could have a positive outcome at school. Well the rub is the home life has been taking a dive. The therapist came over tonight to talk and make a new plan. Unfortunately we got about 20 to 30 min unto making the new plan, and the boy decided to test us again. Well he has been screaming and restrained for the last 3 hours on the stairs. My wife has had to go take a break. The boy is currently sitting on the stairs necked yelling look at me trying to get a response. The therapist was planing on leaving at 6 but that sure is not happening.
I know some of you will say whoop his A** we have tried it does not work. Any attention is better than no attention with him. If we beat him and he still would not put the behavior to the spanking.

The real problem is that he is so good for so long you get use to him being so good that you are caught off guard when the switch is flipped and the response is not always the best.

I can't imagine what your family has to deal with including his constant struggle to modify his behavior when he likely doesn't understand. Hopefully you can lean on this therapist. Best wishes to you.

Your title is well said- "thank God for the therapist". I know it's hard for you, but so many kids do not get appropriate help that can make the difference. He (and you) will get through this, as hard as it is. It's so hard to find someone who can understand, so the fact that you can get help he needs is a real support for you.

Hold onto your sanity as much as you can, and be strong. We're here for you, and will support you with positive thoughts and prayers while you and your wife struggle through this.

8 pm and he finally accepted that he is not going to get away with the attitude. Finally the house is quiet. We anticipated that he would blow up again when he was told that he got dinner and then had to go directly to bed. Thankfully he did not. His response was OK I had a bad night it will be better in the morning. It is apparent we will be doing this for a while. The therapist wants to find his triggers and set him off so Isaac can learn to regulate himself through learning that the actions will not be tolerated.

Thanks for the support..

Prayers going out. My nephew is autistic, and I have a minimal understanding but tremendous empathy of what my bro and sis in law go through.

I know their therapist, but also self-help groups for the parents have made a huge difference.

Our society, as with many things, isn't reacting to the challenges of this condition in a very timely way.

My prayers go out to you. I'm normally not opposed to proper physical punishment, but it's not going to be the best course of action for some youngsters, and you have it worse than most.

I'm hoping the therapist is working not just on helping reduce the episodes you have to deal with, but also finding ways to reduce the anxiety the episodes place upon you. You gotta maintain during the young years and hopefully later on he will be able to lead a mostly normal life.

Thank you all. It seems like he got his frustrations out this weekend. And it has been reaffirmed that he has to do as he is told. He has been very compliant. Doing what he is told. I may take some nudging but the defiance is fine for now. Give it a few weeks and I am sure he will try again. Until then I can breath

Latest posts

Back