TGIF: Anyone else brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwhill

Reaction score
Well my plan is all set (so I think) and I'm attempting my first AG brew! I'm pretty excited but also very anxious about screwing this up. I've made a checklist and I've been reviewing notes and things. I will try and post the brew sheet from beer smith. I'll take any input. I'm brewing BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. I'm pretty excited about that as well, it sound like a great beer. So is anyone else playing hooky or have the day off and brewng today? I'm in upper, NY and the weather is suppose to be kinda crappy but who cares. I'll be brewing! :rockin:
Here is the brew sheet:
photo

If the image fails you can get it here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Bill.IRL/Beer/photo#5198235686549041170
Use the magnifying glass in the upper right to explode the pic.

Your estimated gravity looks like a high estimate for a first time batch sparge with that amount of grain. If your wort is cooled in the pot then don't bother siphoning into the fermenter, pour it in letting it splash around.

Your estimated gravity looks like a high estimate for a first time batch sparge with that amount of grain. If your wort is cooled in the pot then don't bother siphoning into the fermenter, pour it in letting it splash around.

Yeah for some reason BeerSmith estimated it high but the estimate according to BierMuncher's recipe is actually lower. It is 1.039. Also BeerSmith is indicating 2 sparch rounds instead of just one. I don't really know why or if it is even necessary.

:off:

Just so you know, you don't have to scan your brew sheet and post it as a picture; you can export your Beersmith file and post it that way.

Good luck with your first AG!

You can change the efficiency it Beersmith to what you're expecting. I'd suggest 70%.

I usually do the sparge in two steps, but only if I don't do a mash out. I think it's not a bad idea to do it that way.

:off:

Just so you know, you don't have to scan your brew sheet and post it as a picture; you can export your Beersmith file and post it that way.

Good luck with your first AG!

Y know..I considered ding that but then I figured people who didnt have beer smith wouldn't see it. But now I realize you mean it can be exported as test and I could post that....?

Actually...yes :rockin:

I am at work ATM, but I have to go to a jobsite later. The beauty of the jobsite is that we give ourselves plenty of time to do what we need to do because when the jobsite closes, it closes, regardless of what I am doing. Therefore, I am usually done early and get to go home early. I figure I should be done by 2:30, home by 3. Brewing an English Pale Ale:

10lb Marris Otter
1lb Crystal 40L
0.75oz Brewers Gold at 60
.50 oz EKG at 20
OG~1.059
FG~~1.014
ABV~5.8%
IBU~28

I am not brewing but am packing some Pales/IPAs/and Stouts into a cooler for a little tailgateing at the Pens-Flyers game tonight. :) Go PENS.

I'm not brewing tonight, but tomorrow I'm going to brew up [thread=33051]Brewsmith's Fat Tuba Pale Ale.[/thread]

Not brewing tonight but tomorrow I'm taking another shot at a Green Flash IPA clone I'm trying to get right.

Not brewing. All you will be jealous, but I'm one better than brewing! I'm spending saturday at the INLAWS! Horray for mothersday....(sarcasm) obviously:rolleyes:

Brewing Saturday and Monday. :)

Last night I made 3 gallons of starter wort and pressure canned it (8 pints, 8 quarts) and I did my first stirplate starter, which I bumped this morning in preparation for Saturday (I do 1 pint, then 1 quart, then fridge overnight, pour off liquid, pitch slurry). So I was "sort of" brewing last night. :)

I've got a red ale to keg this weekend.

I'm brewing a Vienna Lager as soon as I get off work. It will be my first 2 hour boil which should make me finished (and probably quite drunk) around 1:00am.

Well 'm on my way. Got a late start do to a failed burner on a borrowed turkey fryer. Went and bought a new one at Lowe's for $80. SWMBO is pissed but I'll make it u to her somehow. I just checked the tem of the mash after about 10 minutes and I'm right at 152F. Hopefully that will be good. My biggest anxiety about this first time AG is a stuck mash..I tested just hot water through the braided line in the cooler and eve that seemd to flow pretty slow. I'll post some pictures after I'm done. Good luck to everyone else brewing tonight and tomorrow and if you are at the inlaws for the Mother's day weekend here's in hopes they have lots of booze at least!!:ban:

i'm brewing tonight! :rockin:

8 lbs mo
.5 lbs special b

and ekg hops. haven't decided the schedule yet... maybe 1 oz kettle, .5 oz at 30 min, and .5 oz at flame out.

Yeah for some reason BeerSmith estimated it high but the estimate according to BierMuncher's recipe is actually lower. It is 1.039. Also BeerSmith is indicating 2 sparch rounds instead of just one. I don't really know why or if it is even necessary.

According the Denny Conn, two equal sized batch sparges work best.
My interpretation on what BeerSmith prints is that "Batch Sparge 1" is added to the mash with the initial water still in it.
Mix, let settle, then drain.
Then add "Batch Sparge 2", repeat.

Initial water - absorption + batch1 ~= batch2 volume

My roommate and I brewed 11 gallons of Hefe last night. We finished at 1am, so yeah, I brewed on Friday. Good luck with the AG!

I'll be leaving work in a few hours to get ready for my second AG tonight: American Wheat. Should be pretty good, using all cascades after I read a recipe clone for Lost Coast's Blue Start Wheat. Can't wait...brewing on a Friday night is killer!

Does racking/washing yeast count?? I racked 20 gallons yesterday and plan to rack 10 more sometime this weekend........

Brewing Edwort's Haus Pale tomorrow.

Gonna try out my new lagering/conditioning/fermenting chest.:rockin: (it is already in the mid 90's here in Vegas)

I crushed the grain today, and I'll be brewing on Sunday

Big Bubble Blonde
Blonde Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/11/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Hagen
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer: Tonya
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 90.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.22 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
0.28 oz Gelatin (Secondary 5.0 hours) Misc
1.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.28 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.87 %
Bitterness: 20.9 IBU Calories: 233 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.8 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
Sparge Water: 5.27 gal Grain Temperature: 65.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 65.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.25 qt of water at 164.7 F 152.0 F

my evening turned out really different than my previous post.

still the same grains, but a single decoction for twenty minutes, and no ekg...

.75 oz pacific gem kettle, and .5 oz mt hood at 30 minutes, and a hand full of the kids dandelion blossoms, and some williamette at flame out. :fro:

she was stoked to pick fresh flowers for the brew...

my evening turned out really different than my previous post.

still the same grains, but a single decoction for twenty minutes, and no ekg...

.75 oz pacific gem kettle, and .5 oz mt hood at 30 minutes, and a hand full of the kids dandelion blossoms, and some williamette at flame out. :fro:

she was stoked to pick fresh flowers for the brew...

Dandelions? What have you been partaking in tonight? ;)

Latest posts

Back