Tepache!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tepache is an indigenous drink from Mexico. A good friend of mine got this recipe from his father (a native, I think). Note that no yeast is added... wild fermentation works fine at room temps.

No idea where this fits into the beer/cider categories.

This stuff is pretty good. Naturally fermented from pineapple and coconut (no yeast added), it makes a sourish drink that is pineapply-spicey. I'll add to this thread later with the recipe in case anyone wants to give a shot, but here's some pics to get it started.

Here's the basic ingredients:
  • 1 pineapple
  • 1/2 coconut
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 24 oz. Pilloncillo (similar to blocks of brown sugar )
  • 2.5 qts water
  • Bottled with honey

Makes a little over a gallon. I doubled this. Filtering required, expect haze in the end (pineapple is difficult).

Some pics:
Tepache_Ingredients.JPG

IMG_3672.JPG
Tepache_5.JPG

My gf has been looking for a tepache recipe. I'll definitely be showing her this one! I see you've got an airlock in the picture. Are the wild yeasts in the pineapple and coconut to begin with (e.g. we add ingredients and cap right away)?

Where did you get your pineapple and coconut from? Also, did you wash the skins of the fruits before adding them?

Looks really good.

Oh my god, I was just doing some googling and guess what...

Tepache is commonly made by inmates in Mexican prison, because the process of creating tepache is simple and quick. However, tepache can also be found in taquerias since it is a rather cheap drink. Housewives sometimes prepare tepache. In markets, you can sometimes find a vendor with an orange barrel full of ice-cold tepache.

I'm sorry sir, but we must close this thread now since it is a glorified pruno thread. ;)

Seriously though, one of the wiki's says that a little bit of beer is included, I don't know if it is added to the fermenter or is mixed at drinking time.

The tepache is a drink made out of the flesh and rind of the pineapple, sweetened with brown sugar and cinnamon and always beer. Tepache does not have a high quantity of alcohol, since it is left to ferment for only about three days. The alcohol comes mostly from the addition of a small amount of beer, the most common way of serving it in Mexico. It is a drink better served cold with dry chili powder to give it a spicy taste.

And Cd kitchen calls it Tepache Beer, and adds what looks like a crappy cereal mash of barley.

ngredients:
1 large fresh pineapple
8 whole cloves
2 inches stick cinnamon
4 cups brown sugar firmly packed
2 cups barley

Directions:

Grind up the pineapple, peel and all. Combine pineapple, peel and all. Place in large crock along with cloves, cinnamon and 3 quarts of water. Cover with cloth and allow to stand for 2 days, Cook the barley in 1 quart of water until the grains burst. Add brown sugar, stir and add to pineapple mixture. Allow to stand another 2 days, allowing the mixture to completely ferment at room temperature.

Line a sieve with a damp linen or double layer of damp cheesecloth and strain the fermented mixture. If may be necessary to strain twice.

The exact ingredients of the recipe can be very regional. The Northern part of Mexico, at least from where I hail, they do not use the barley. I guess you would consider it more of a cider. I do know some Southern Mexicans that always use the barley...

Where did you get your pineapple and coconut from? Also, did you wash the skins of the fruits before adding them?

Looks really good.

Grocery store. No washing at all.

BTW, coconut was not in the original recipe. I added that. I can't tell you what contribution it had - not much because I can't taste it. Same with the cinnamon and cloves.

This is interesting, and I really like your 1 gallon fermenter, what is it?

Homemade. It's a 2.5g "Montana Jar" from Target. I drilled out the lid, which has an integrated silicone seal, and added a rubber grommet and airlock. The nice big opening is perfect for adding/removing large chunky stuff like pineapple.

I'll probably do a write-up on making one soon in DIY. Less than $20.

[edit]

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/2-1-2-gallon-montana-jar-fermenter-200328/#post2332670

Looks really interesting, P. When you say bottled with honey, what do you mean? Also, is it still or carbonated?

Yes, attempted to prime with honey. The pic of the finished product is only 1 week old in bottle, with very little carbonation.

Character might change in the next few weeks. I'll update this thread if that happens.

What's the ABV of this pruno wine? Someone posted that it was a low alcohol drink. BTW like the idea of the fermentor. Cool!

About how long does this hooch take to finish fermenting? and when is it drinkable, am I right to think the bottles are primed with honey?

I made some a few days ago. It is bubbling away in a gallon jug. What have you guys been using to filter it?

Haha whatever works I guess. To be honest, I will prolly do the same thing.

I just tasted some of the Tepache. It has only been 5 days so of course its still pretty sweet but I didn't notice any sour taste yet. I will post back later down the road too.

I just tasted some after i filtered it and cooled it in the fridge.

its definitely has some tartness to it. I can clearly taste pineapple. It almost has a white wine like flavor.

I did not carbonate mine

Looks pretty interesting..I think I need to make me a 1 gallon fermentor! It appears that you dont squeeze any juice out of the pinneapple..is that correct? Just let the yeast eat the sugar off of it?

The longer you ferment it, the more sour (and higher alcohol) it gets. I made a batch for a Thanksgiving "appetizer". Used pineapple (rinsed with water only), dark brown sugar (2 lbs), cup of raisins, water, cinnamon, allspice, peppercorns, no beer. Fermented for 6 days on the counter, then put it in the refrigerator in its one gallon container. It was still reasonably sweet, fruity, refreshing, cloudy, simple and amazing. :mug:

The longer you ferment it, the more sour (and higher alcohol) it gets. I made a batch for a Thanksgiving "appetizer". Used pineapple (rinsed with water only), dark brown sugar (2 lbs), cup of raisins, water, cinnamon, allspice, peppercorns, no beer. Fermented for 6 days on the counter, then put it in the refrigerator in its one gallon container. It was still reasonably sweet, fruity, refreshing, cloudy, simple and amazing. :mug:

That's good to hear. Mine is about undrinkably sour. Puckering. I'm really happy yours turned out. I let mine ferment for at least a month (without even sampling it).

So mine after a week has green fuzzy mold on top of a piece of pineapple that floated to the top. Any ideas on how to salvage the batch it if possible.

This sounds awesome. And perfect for SWMBO as she is not a beer girl at all. Not much of a wine girl either, but this looks like just the thing for her. I'll save the prison "hooch" references till after she's tasted it!

This sounds awesome. And perfect for SWMBO as she is not a beer girl at all. Not much of a wine girl either, but this looks like just the thing for her. I'll save the prison "hooch" references till after she's tasted it!

Just remember to taste every day after the first two or three days. Put it in the refrigerator when you like the flavors and residual sweetness. If you let go too long it will try to dry out and get very tart.

Anybody have any updates yet? I'm about to try my first batch on Wednesday probably. I'm kinda thinking about tinkering with it on the first go - maybe adding some different fruits like mango, orange, etc. Or maybe I should leave it alone for the first try and see what works after that. And also I was wondering if 70 F was warm enough for it. And should it be in the window for some sunlight?

Anyways, I'm still looking forward to trying it. Anybody do anything different with theirs?

Alright i finally made mine 3 days ago. 72 hours and it's not there yet. Slightly sweet, and the pineapple is there but it's weak. So my problem is I'm going out of town for fire school tomorrow and won't be back till Thursday just in time for the St Patricks Day party at my house. I'd love for this to be ready for the party but I don't want to overdo it.

Sounds like its better to ferment for a short period of time. And also I have a white film on the top of mine with bubbles. I kinda figured this was natural and would be skimmed off when straining so no harm no foul.

Thoughts?

Here is mine so far. I used 2 full pineapples, about 2 1/4 pounds each. I used 1.25 pounds brown sugar, 1.25 lbs corn sugar, and threw some cane sugar in there for good measure. I couldn't chop up the coconut so I peeled some of the white stuff of and threw it in there. I put this in a sanitized jar 4 days ago. Some white funky mold film is growing on top. I did seal up the lid like the tutorial said, but it is not airtight. My airlock doesn't bubble, but that is ok with me. In the posters picture, the pineapple seemed to fill most the jar, I was not so lucky. I used 5 sticks of cinnamon though on accident. (I think it might be too much)

There is what appears to be yeast floating in the middle, stuff that is suspended in the middle, I have not yet tasted it, as I am scared of the mold, but will probably dip into it later tonight.

I have the suspicion that this wild yeast will not appear visually the same as what I am used to with beer strains. That is why I am not sure if anything is really happening. It is really dark in there , so I can't really see any sediment.

How did everyone else who did this turn out? What did you come across ?

Thanks!

IMG_20110324_174819.jpg

IMG_20110324_174747.jpg

I believe your issue is your grommet / airlock. It should be in rubber seal instead of stainless lid.

I believe your issue is your grommet / airlock. It should be in rubber seal instead of stainless lid.

Yep, grommet goes onto silicone gasket, not the metal lid. I have a Montana Jar build thread somewhere, I think I have pics there. I'm happy to see someone else made one of these.

Soon, you'll see little bubbles forming on all the fruit. Those bubbles will increase and you will eventually see some bubbling (but not to the extent you see in beer fermentation). There will not be krausen.

The white sheeting mold is normal. I had that too. Everything looks normal.

I did not taste any of the cinnamon or cloves in mine. I don't think you overdid it.

I had more fruit in my jar... maybe my pineapples were larger. No worries, it will be fine.

St Patricks day I strained my Tepache in hopes of serving it at my house party. But it smelled pretty bad and scared us off. So I threw the jar in the fridge and I might give it a whirl tonight.

I'll let you guys know how it turned out

Back