Tepache!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403111456.614069.jpg added some mango and agave nectar. Also doubled the clove and coconut.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Started another batch...great way to use the skins and core of pineapple after you "harvest" the fruit for another purpose! I increased the clove from 3 to 5 this time. Not a major change, but we'll see if it's noticeable. I'm also thinking about skipping the optional beer addition this time that normally comes after straining. I'll up the water to compensate and see how it comes out.

DSC05045.jpg

I did skip the beer addition this time and I actually like it better. I had one straight last night, without mixing it shandy style with beer and the flavor was cleaner. Nice raw sugar and pineapple flavor. It would still be really good with a Matt's Summer Brew to make Mateo's Tepache Shandy! Don't get me wrong. But producing it without the beer addition in the fermentation made a better product, IMHO.

DSC05116.jpg

Cool posts and thread! I started mine three days ago and tried it last night and is still sweet, but do have the bubbles on the top and signs of fermentation. Am going to let go for another few days and taste again to see where I'm at... I ended up going with a modified recipe based on this - http://punchdrink.com/recipes/quis-tepache/ . I went with a combination of table sugar, brown sugar, and agave nectar, as well as different spices like szechuan pepper, cumin, coriander, cardamom and ginger to name a few. I still have yet to decide how I am going to process it and serve, but part of me is debating just adding to a few 2 liter bottles with carbonation caps and not having to worry about pasteurizing or bottle bombs. Here are some photos of my process:

20140727_134524.jpg

20140727_134553.jpg

20140727_141218.jpg

Cool posts and thread! I started mine three days ago and tried it last night and is still sweet, but do have the bubbles on the top and signs of fermentation. Am going to let go for another few days and taste again to see where I'm at... I ended up going with a modified recipe based on this - http://punchdrink.com/recipes/quis-tepache/ . I went with a combination of table sugar, brown sugar, and agave nectar, as well as different spices like szechuan pepper, cumin, coriander, cardamom and ginger to name a few. I still have yet to decide how I am going to process it and serve, but part of me is debating just adding to a few 2 liter bottles with carbonation caps and not having to worry about pasteurizing or bottle bombs. Here are some photos of my process:

Checked out the link...interesting article! It was recommended to me by a native Mexican who makes his own tepache that you should not use the flesh of the fruit...save it to eat. Only use the core and skins. He believes the fruit flesh actually is not good for the flavor of the tepache. I like the idea of using different spices...coriander, Szechuan peppercorns, etc.! Agave is more expensive than piloncillo, but sounds good, if it's a good fermenter.

The article talks about straining and bottling after a couple of days. That would yield very little alcohol. I find that mine is barely beginning to ferment after two days. I usually let it go about 5 days, strain it, and then let it go another couple of days. At that point, it is still sweet, but is also a little tangy and has around 5-6% ABV.

Let us know your progress and how your recipe turns out...very interesting!

Checked out the link...interesting article! It was recommended to me by a native Mexican who makes his own tepache that you should not use the flesh of the fruit...save it to eat. Only use the core and skins. He believes the fruit flesh actually is not good for the flavor of the tepache. I like the idea of using different spices...coriander, Szechuan peppercorns, etc.! Agave is more expensive than piloncillo, but sounds good, if it's a good fermenter.

The article talks about straining and bottling after a couple of days. That would yield very little alcohol. I find that mine is barely beginning to ferment after two days. I usually let it go about 5 days, strain it, and then let it go another couple of days. At that point, it is still sweet, but is also a little tangy and has around 5-6% ABV.

Let us know your progress and how your recipe turns out...very interesting!

I agree. Am definitely going to let it go for a while longer until it tastes right and isn't too sweet. A few of the other articles that I read about it were talking about processing it sooner and then adding beer, but one even said that if you didn't do that to let it go for another 5-10 days...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Will try just the pineapple skin next time and see which I like better. So, you strain it after 5 days and then let go a few more. What do you think that does for the flavor profile or the drink?

I agree. Am definitely going to let it go for a while longer until it tastes right and isn't too sweet. A few of the other articles that I read about it were talking about processing it sooner and then adding beer, but one even said that if you didn't do that to let it go for another 5-10 days...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Will try just the pineapple skin next time and see which I like better. So, you strain it after 5 days and then let go a few more. What do you think that does for the flavor profile or the drink?

If yours goes like mine did, you won't be complaining of it being too sweet. Mine ended up puckeringly tart. Not sour, but tart as hell. I probably should have pasteurized before it got to that point.

If yours goes like mine did, you won't be complaining of it being too sweet. Mine ended up puckeringly tart. Not sour, but tart as hell. I probably should have pasteurized before it got to that point.

I hope not. I'll be very, very careful... Am thinking maybe I should just keg it and put it on tap at that point, so I don't have to worry about it as much.

I never had a problem with it losing sweetness, just picking up a little tang and, of course, more alcohol. I bottled mine in regular amber, glass beer bottles with crown caps. I've found that adding the beer during fermentation made it a more bitter, stranger flavor. I let mine carb and then pasteurize. For me, 24 hours wasn't quite enough and 48 hours resulted in gushers. My next batch, I'll try to work it out so that I can pasteurize in 36 hours and see how that does.

As for the skins vs. flesh thing, I couldn't really get a clear reason from the Mexican man that advised me...just that "It's no good. Just eat it!" I've seen other recipes that take the same position. I think maybe it gets funkier or something? Anyone else have a theory?

I have heard (and your referenced article also mentioned) that if you don't pasteurize, eventually bottled stuff becomes a pineapple vinegar. I haven't left any unpasteurized for fear of bottle bombs. Left unbottled, to ferment substantially longer, I think Passedpawn will confirm, it becomes very high ABV and very dry. I guess that depends on the strain of wild stuff you get and its alcohol tolerance.

Oh, and I still like to mix it half and half with a nice lawnmower beer to make a "Mateo's Shandy"!

Thanks Mateo. I was wondering if you were allowing it to carbonate... I just transferred mine to a keg with a FG of 1.002. It is clean, tart, fruity and dry with hints of spice and a funky/fruity nose, which I think will taste really well carbonated and on tap during our sweltering summer! I want to avoid pasteurizing due to the beneficial probiotics and bacteria in it, but if it tastes like I think carbonated, I won't need to worry about it slowly turning on me, as will be gone quickly.

I was wondering about that regarding adding the beer during fermentation, so am glad that I didn't go that route. I guess I'm going to carbonate up to 2.8 volumes to see how I like it. With you allowing it to carb in the volumes naturally, I assume you are unsure of what your volumes of co2 are, correct?

I'll post some pictures of the finished product in a few weeks once it is carbonated where I want it. Cheers!

Yeah, I don't know the CO2 volumes...but kegging sounds like a great option! My batches have been single pineapple, small batches; but, if I sized up the recipe to 5 gallons and had kegging capabilities, I would definitely do it. I'm really liking the idea of the additional spices!

Had some ripe peaches and got a good price on a pineapple today, so naturally, I made a Peach-pineapple tepache! Peaches and pineapple with dinner tonight. I also decided, in addition to cinnamon and cloves, to add black peppercorns and a pinch of allspice. I only had 8 ounces of piloncillo and 7 ounces of brown sugar, so I added about 7 ounces of cinnamon flavored maple syrup.

DSC05208.jpg

That sounds really good to me! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. We tried mine prematurely last night from the keg and it has a somewhat off-putting aroma, but the flavor profile is really nice and fruity with hints of spice and a dry, tart finish. Have you guys experienced that aroma? Otherwise, what does yours normally smell like?

That sounds really good to me! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. We tried mine prematurely last night from the keg and it has a somewhat off-putting aroma, but the flavor profile is really nice and fruity with hints of spice and a dry, tart finish. Have you guys experienced that aroma? Otherwise, what does yours normally smell like?

It might be the fruit. I haven't had an off-putting smell from my tepache, but I did from a batch of pineapple mead. I have heard others talk about how fermenting pineapple can smell nasty when making mead or wine, but that the aroma/flavor become terrific over time. I would have to do some digging in my journal, but I think I racked my pineapple mead a couple of times, at least, and took over 2 months before it started to turn from nasty to nice. I hope your batch does a quick turnaround! But this may be why the Mexican guy told me not to use the fruit, just the skins and core, since the ferment time is so short.

I've got what looks like mold, starting to form, any advice.....?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Post #39 addresses this and should ease your concerns.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/tepache-200053/#post2770762

About pineapple…pineapple is weird to me. I used fresh pineapple in ice cream and it was horrid. I started reading and it was said that there is some odd chemical reaction with fresh un-pasteruized pineapple that can cause sour and bitter flavors in ice cream. Perhaps this is what happens with tepache. I would be willing to bet there is some reason for the weird taste. I would run with mattmmille's recipe of not using the flesh and just tossing in the core and skin. I've had his and I did not think the smell was off-putting but it was different. I paired it with his summer brew and it was very good.

I've decided to make this very soon but instead of bottling I think I am going to filter and strain into one of these bins below when I can find one and just keep it in my fridge.

th

Hello, that fridge bin looks great(!), especially if you want to go more traditional and not worry about carbing.

Sounds like the mold is normal, although I haven't experienced it (yet). I guess a siphon to go through and siphon from under it might be a good idea, but careful straining may be just fine. Mine usually looks like the pic below after a few days.

DSC04621.jpg

Amazon sold that fridge thing for $12 and Walmart had it for $5 so I picked one up. I found this sugar in the Hispanic isle. I assume or hope it'll be fine. Forgot cloves so I'll just use something else.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407256048.919536.jpg

Saw this thread and LOVE the idea!!!!!

That said, I had the same concern that I do about making tamales.

EVERYTHING is so drowned in pesticides, that you can't make tamales in corn husks without ingesting a lot of pesticide.

Just some minor searching raises questions about pineapples, especially in such a small concentrated batch. Most concerns seem to be about the chemicals that permeate the peel into the fruit. Actually fermenting the peel is probably untested, and probably 100 times worse.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/oct/02/truth-about-pineapple-production

"Pineapples need very large amounts of pesticides, about 20kg of active ingredient per hectare per cycle. The soil is sterilised; biodiversity is eliminated. Fourteen to 16 different types of treatment are typically needed, and many have to be applied several times. They use chemicals that are dangerous for the environment and human health."

:(

Sorry. I don't mean to seem alarmist, but what I found on tamales was downright disturbing. Many tamale companies advertise NO CORN HUSK tamales as a good thing.

Fermenting pineapple skin is probably off the radar and untested.

Amazon sold that fridge thing for $12 and Walmart had it for $5 so I picked one up. I found this sugar in the Hispanic isle. I assume or hope it'll be fine. Forgot cloves so I'll just use something else.
View attachment 215759

Hey...I went back and checked out post #39. Should have done that before I put my foot in my mouth! I'm going to go back and edit! I haven't experienced that white sheet molding, but seems like it's not an issue. That sugar goes by another name, but looks the same except for the shape. I've got cloves...and your grain bucket...if you want me to drop them off!

EVERYTHING is so drowned in pesticides, that you can't make tamales in corn husks without ingesting a lot of pesticide.

Just some minor searching raises questions about pineapples, especially in such a small concentrated batch. Most concerns seem to be about the chemicals that permeate the peel into the fruit. Actually fermenting the peel is probably untested, and probably 100 times worse.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/oct/02/truth-about-pineapple-production

"Pineapples need very large amounts of pesticides, about 20kg of active ingredient per hectare per cycle. The soil is sterilised; biodiversity is eliminated. Fourteen to 16 different types of treatment are typically needed, and many have to be applied several times. They use chemicals that are dangerous for the environment and human health."

Sorry. I don't mean to seem alarmist, but what I found on tamales was downright disturbing. Many tamale companies advertise NO CORN HUSK tamales as a good thing.

Well, after the crap I've done to and put in my body over the last 50 years, a little pesticide is the least of my worries.:eek: However, I have seen (VERY EXPENSIVE) organic pineapples, That, plus good quality water should make it pretty safe.

I hope so. I wasn't saying "DON'T MAKE THIS STUFF!!!!", I was just sharing my concerns for making it. Organic pineapples sound like an excellent start!!!

Thanks!

I'll grab my organic tin foil to make you a hat. :D

Hey...I went back and checked out post #39. Should have done that before I put my foot in my mouth! I'm going to go back and edit! I haven't experienced that white sheet molding, but seems like it's not an issue. That sugar goes by another name, but looks the same except for the shape. I've got cloves...and your grain bucket...if you want me to drop them off!
Hmmmm you think cloves are that important?

Well, directions are lacking specifics on how to treat the Pilloncillo so I just dropped the blocks in and stirred. They did not dissolve well so I can't take a gravity reading.
Used 2 pineapples since I had them, 8 cloves (thanks mattmmille) and three cinnamon sticks since that's all I had. Used 1 gallon of water and stirred. Hoping I can grab a reading first thing in the morning so I know the ABV.

Well, directions are lacking specifics on how to treat the Pilloncillo so I just dropped the blocks in and stirred. They did not dissolve well so I can't take a gravity reading.
Used 2 pineapples since I had them, 8 cloves (thanks mattmmille) and three cinnamon sticks since that's all I had. Used 1 gallon of water and stirred. Hoping I can grab a reading first thing in the morning so I know the ABV.

Yeah...the sugar doesn't dissolve immediately, but it breaks down with a little time. You should be able to get an OG before the fermentation starts up. Keep it warm! I stuck mine out on the driveway, in the sun for a few hours today.

It's at 76-78 right now. Should if be warmer?

I haven't temp controlled mine, but I think the fermentation starts and goes faster at a little higher temp. It's probably about 74F in my house, but like I said, I put mine out in the sun sometimes during the day for a few hours...didn't seem to hurt! 76-78F should have no problem getting the job done, though...just may take a day or two longer. This picture was taken last night...peach skins and black peppercorns added to this batch to experiment. I give the bucket a swirl about once a day...I guess I do get a little of that white mold on the surface, but I keep swirling it around. Hmm...never really noticed it before. I think most of what you see here is bubbles, though.

DSC05221.jpg

I took my gravity reading today, 1.070. Seemed like maybe it was about right for 32 oz of the sugar & 1 gallon of water. I don't think the fruit added to the gravity really. Smells good, tastes pretty good. I did take a full sample and sanitized everything then dumped it back in. I am always nervous about doing that but the fact that this will end up being less than a gallon as-is, I figured why not.

I saw bubbles around the pineapple. Questioned 8 cloves and 3 cinnamon sticks but figured I better not mess about with cloves too much and I have no more sticks. Guess I do have to hit that spice isle after all. ;)

The peach sounds good. Right now my temp is at least 78. I have a strip on my bucket and it's just on the counter away from air vents and such. Downstairs is left at about 78F during the day unless I am down there working on something so it is in the best place. I will toss it in my garage for an hour or two this afternoon just for kicks. It'll be 90F in there at least.

I took my gravity reading today, 1.070. Seemed like maybe it was about right for 32 oz of the sugar & 1 gallon of water. I don't think the fruit added to the gravity really. Smells good, tastes pretty good. I did take a full sample and sanitized everything then dumped it back in. I am always nervous about doing that but the fact that this will end up being less than a gallon as-is, I figured why not.

I saw bubbles around the pineapple. Questioned 8 cloves and 3 cinnamon sticks but figured I better not mess about with cloves too much and I have no more sticks. Guess I do have to hit that spice isle after all. ;)

The peach sounds good. Right now my temp is at least 78. I have a strip on my bucket and it's just on the counter away from air vents and such. Downstairs is left at about 78F during the day unless I am down there working on something so it is in the best place. I will toss it in my garage for an hour or two this afternoon just for kicks. It'll be 90F in there at least.

I think you'll be fine with the spices in there. My recipe only calls for one stick of cinnamon and 2 cloves. I've upped the cloves to four, but it surprised me how much flavor the small amount of spices added. I'm betting yours will have plenty of spice flavor!

Almost forgot my tepache outside...went out about 10:00 pm to retrieve it! Ahhh...there's that white surface mold. I decided to go ahead and strain it through some cheesecloth and top it off with some Culligan water. SC before adding water was 1.072 and it felt a bit thick/slimy. I think that's the peach breaking down. The flavor seems pretty good and consistency is better after adding water. Popped the lid back on and should be ready to bottle in two or 3 days and pasteurize about 36 hours after that.

IMAG3406.jpg

IMAG3407.jpg

IMAG3408.jpg

Well, this is what mine looks like. I stirred it and drank some. I think it's okay but it's still at 1.060 since Wednesday night. I assume my OG reading was fine but I had to wait until morning and the sugar to dissolve. Anyway, I think it tastes okay but now is this bucket toast for regular beer? I have some equipment reserved for sours anyway so I can keep this as a sour bucket.

But this seems a bit more than the mold that people reported.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407610393.067209.jpg

Well, this is what mine looks like. I stirred it and drank some. I think it's okay but it's still at 1.060 since Wednesday night. I assume my OG reading was fine but I had to wait until morning and the sugar to dissolve. Anyway, I think it tastes okay but now is this bucket toast for regular beer? I have some equipment reserved for sours anyway so I can keep this as a sour bucket.

But this seems a bit more than the mold that people reported.

View attachment 216659

That is going to be delicious.

If it were me, I'd bleach bomb the bucket and continue using it. I've make lots of sours and I've reused all my equipment (FYI I use better bottles).

That is going to be delicious.

If it were me, I'd bleach bomb the bucket and continue using it. I've make lots of sours and I've reused all my equipment (FYI I use better bottles).

Delicious because of the infection? I assume it is infected. I figured it would be nearly done by now but it's still at 1060. Is that lacto?

Delicious because of the infection? I assume it is infected. I figured it would be nearly done by now but it's still at 1060. Is that lacto?

One person's infection is another's sour beer. I think that is just the way these wild brews go. You're relying on a random mixture of wild yeast and bacteria on that pineapple to ferment the contents.

Even with sour beers it takes a while to start getting really sour. That pellicle just means that something is getting busy in there, probably lacto because of the waxy bubbles. Mine got a bit of that. I only made one of these and mine was way too alcoholy because I let it ferment for a full month. Ouch.

I don't know why it's not fermenting yet. It should start fermenting after a few days.

Yeah. It's moved and I am assuming my OG reading was accurate. Relying on sugar to dissolve overnight then taking a reading, I'm not 100% on that 1.070 OG. Sounded good though. Either way, it's gotten cool here so 78 is the best I could do so far. It doesn't seem to taste bad yet. Thanks for the help.

The only one I ever took a OG on was my first batch and I'm pretty sure that was 1.110, but I can't find it in my notes. And I used 20 oz of piloncillo...and Hello, you used 32 oz, didn't you? I'm bottling mine with the peach peels in it tonight and I got a FG 1.041...it was 1.072 a couple days ago when I strained it and topped it up to just over a gallon. I'm not too concerned with the exact ABV, as long as it gets to the flavor I want. By the way, my strained and topped off liquid was covered with a pellicle. Should have taken a photo. I siphoned from under it and through cheesecloth...don't know if it was necessary, but it's done. I did fill an empty 20 oz Diet Coke bottle to test the carb this time...guessing it should be about 36 hours from 9 p.m. tonight. So, Monday morning? We'll see.

DSC05239.jpg

I need to go buy a mini syphon. I was just going to pour through a strainer into the container that I bought. Thinking I should properly syphon.

I noticed some foam consistent with fermentation when I did mine, but I like to avoid any mold or fuzz on fermentations like this (even though it could be ok)... That's why when I do any pickling, kraut, ginger bug sodas and even this, I always make sure that the items are submerged in the liquid. For me, this works great in a 2 gallon bucket with a small plate on the top and typically a jar or tupperware dish of water to weight it down. Just my 2 cents. By the way, mine is tasting pretty good; I ended up bubbling co2 through it to scrub some of those funky off aromas and may give it one more shot of that, but it's carb'ing up nice.

Back