American Porter Temporarily Out Chocolate Milk Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowen1911

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
39 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days at 50-55
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Quite Tasty.
The name was decided after it was quickly consumed at my wedding. My first dark beer, and it turned out great.

9lbs 2 row
1lb 120L crystal
.5 lb Carapils
.4 lbs Blackprinz
.75 lbs dark chocolate malt

Mash @ 158 degrees for 60 min

Boil- 60 minutes
1 oz Willamette @ 0 min
1 oz Willamette @30 min
.5 lb lactose @ 45 min

Cool and pitched yeast from smack pack

After 12 days, I added 4 oz cacao nibs soaked overnight in vodka. I can't remember the brand, but I didn't buy bottom shelf. All this was done in the primary. 17 days total in primary bucket, with the last 5 out in the garage while it was colder.

Keg and carb.

Version 2.0 will aim for a creamier mouthfeel, and even more chocolate flavor.

If I win the lottery, I'm keeping this beer on Nitro. That would be perfect.

I'm just about to kick the keg on round two.

New grain bill is:
9lbs 2 row
1lb 120L crystal
.5 lb Carapils
.3 lbs Blackprinz
.5 lbs dark chocolate malt
.5 lbs pale chocolate malt

Same mash and hops schedule.

I tried Windsor yeast, and my FG was 1.029. Probably should have lowered my mash temp.
Chocolate flavor is much better though, so I will stick with this grain bill and adjust yeast/mash temp for round three.

Windsor yeast, to my understanding, is already a super low attenuating yeast. I would drop the mash temp to 155 to try to lower my FG down to the low 1.020's. I am about to keg and bottle (tonight actually) this recipe with S-04 yeast, mashed at 158. I also used cacao nibs from trader joes rather than the LHBS nibs. the smell and taste is much more chocolate in your face. I'm really looking forward to tasting this.

KDV9RTW.jpg

This version is damn good. This is going in a competition in a month. If you want a more roasty taste, bump up the black malt or change the dark/pale chocolate ratio. If you want it more like a hershey's bar, add a splash of vanilla.

did you mash in your dark grains with the 2 row/crystal malts? I've read somewhere to do a cold infusion overnight to minimize bitterness while extracting out dark grains. thanks and looks so yummy! planning to have for my son's graduation in a couple months, a warm May evening.

After learning more about style guidelines, this is more of a sweet stout. Either way. you won't be upset you made it.

A sweet stout would have lactose in it. You should try 1/2 to 1lb last 10 minutes of your boil if you are still looking for that fuller mouthfeel. But if you have it set, by all means, don’t mess up a good thing!! Cheers!! [emoji482]

It has a 1/2 lb lactose. Every version of this beer has had it. I typed it into the boil schedule.

Did you continue to add the nibs for batches two and three? Or did the grain bill change ups negate the need?

Nibs, lactose, and hops stayed the same. The final grain bill with S04 yeast was the ticket. Also, the cacao nibs from Trader Joe’s beat the hell out of the packs at the LHBS. Super strong, and cheaper

Looks and sounds delicious. May look at brewing this in the next month or two, have a few others planned first, but may swap this out for the stout I was planning.

I wrote it as if you were looking at a timer. I don't write it that way anymore.

Should be
1 oz Willamette 60 min
1 oz Willamette 30 min
.5 lb Lactose 15 min

I just brewed this with the second grain bill. I mashed at 152. SG 1.052. I'll keep ya posted on the results.

Yes I did. I just figured out the whole all grain deal and this is my second all grain brew. First was a brown ale that turned out pretty good.

Back