Temperature rise during heating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldben

Reaction score
To put my question in it's simplest form:

If I heat water to 155 degrees and remove it from the heat source, will 155 be the maximum temperature? I tried to do this while steeping and it seemed to climb for awhile before evening out and then falling. Any answers from general experience or scientific perspective would be appreciated.

It will usually rise a few more degrees. You have to figure, the water is 155F when you remove the heat...the metal pot is much hotter and will continue to heat the water even after the heat source is shut off.

It will usually rise a few more degrees. You have to figure, the water is 155F when you remove the heat...the metal pot is much hotter and will continue to heat the water even after the heat source is shut off.

Like he^ said... It's called "carry-over" temp..

Thanks. Would you guys recommend removing a little bit before the target temperature, or is it negligible enough that at the temperature is fine.

I would take it off the heat when you are about 3-4 degrees below your target, see where it stops at and then if you need to, hit it with another short burst of heat. If it gets way too warm, you can drop some ice cubes in to cool it off. Its more important in mashing as opposed to steeping.

Back